Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

And so it begins...
dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

Am looking forward to your comic reviews, Meowskivich. Would love to see you review your own game, especially if you put all that work into it. Also found lizord's review hilarious. My favorite one so far.

Honestly, felt like i've been cheating people by not really drawing much. Maybe another game will compel me.

Goes without saying JSH's streams are great. In reference to TMC about him skipping the intro, it's pretty neat to see. I didn't want to force people to go through it, but if you show a text box, people expect to press a button to advance, so it's a design mistake on my part. Can't wait to rip apart that game!
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

Did I say I love your idea of making comic-reviews, guys?
They're really great! :D
I'm looking forward to see more.

@Fenrir-Lunaris: Wow. I really like your drawing style!
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

tl;dr : Not worth the play
I forgot to mention it's gameplay amounts to: hold space/enter/ctrl
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

tl;dr: me gusta
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Now is time to talk about a game I tried for a little bit:

Ar-Puh-Guh
First off, when I went to its game description page here on Slime Salad I noticed characters in the screenshots were named JubJub Bird and Frumious Banders. This classy reference to one of the greatest poems of all time got me really intrigued, and the battle graphics sold me.

This game does something I think a lot more games should do: Rather than loading you down with a bunch of information irrelevant to your characters, it just gives you informed choices to make about which general style to play as (physical fighters, energy wielders, and chemical users) and then within that branch an individual divided into seemingly-human Humanoids, generally greenish Mutants, or robots. Selection made, it puts you at the bottom of a dungeon and eases you into the game's mechanics.

And here is where I get my first problem with the game: The style of graphics used here works very well in battle, but there are too many black outlines on the graphics dividing different parts from each other. The characters all look darker and less vibrant out of battle, and it's harder to tell where they are apart from the surrounding floor. Replacing more of the black with colors would help a lot here. It would also help with the character selection screen, where a couple characters are practically invisible compared to the black floor you're viewing their walkabouts on.

In battle, the game is interesting and well thought-out. Holding down spacebar is not helpful to you because the default action is to -rest- instead of -attack-. Every attack burns up some of your energy, and resting gives some energy back. This is a style of combat that I've tried to employ variants on before, but here it actually works.

The different options seem well balanced enough, at least so far. I've only gotten maybe 30 minutes into the game, deciding to play until my first death before writing the review.

There are some subtle references in this game I found amusing, such as the description for the brooch asking what a snail would want with it.

The stats are nice, small numbers; I began with 20 HP, 95 accuracy, and roughly 2 of everything else. This will make any larger numbers I get later feel much more satisfying. I never had fun with games that start you off with hundreds or thousands of points in things unless it was done as a joke or with a decoy protagonist, personally.

The texts often seem a little long-winded or awkward, but to anyone willing to get over the presentation will find something in this game to enjoy.

3/5, needs a little polish but is still fun

And I don't care what stats they have, I want to play as one of these foxes.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
SDHawk
Metal Slime

Post by SDHawk »

These comic reviews are great, but it's kind of a shame that Slime Salad doesn't have some kind of image hosting solution for when photobucket/imgur inevitably lose 'em in a shuffle (esp. imgur which has a 6 month timer between views before an image is deleted).
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

I'll have them stored on backup, personally. If I find they're ever gone, I'll try to do something about it.

mine, that is, I advise others to do the same if they care enough.
Last edited by Meowskivich on Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

tl;dr: I made this game.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Hey Fenrir, just a small note: that game is 2013 not 2012.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

I don't think Cthu really cares.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

SDHawk wrote:These comic reviews are great, but it's kind of a shame that Slime Salad doesn't have some kind of image hosting solution for when photobucket/imgur inevitably lose 'em in a shuffle (esp. imgur which has a 6 month timer between views before an image is deleted).
You can attach images to reviews.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

I'll probably do that from now on.

Next two reviews:
Super Penguin Chef

No More Villains