OHRRPGCE Top 15 - 2013

Announcements that go here will appear on the front page.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Silly me. I forgot I had a complete backup of The Hamster Wheel (the 2013-2015 incarnation, not the 2008-2010 incarnation).

Here are the contest results

MBS got back to me too. He's still reviewing RPGs (non-OHR ones now), and happy for me to put up a mirror of THW. Thanks for necroing threads, Bird!
Last edited by TMC on Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Ah, I remember this list.
Seemed odd that Spellshard did better than Dungeonmen.
All solid games on this list, anyone that hasn't before should give them a play.
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

Spellshard... this old game appeared high on polls ten years before this one, but got beaten by RPGs of (sometimes) terrible taste. Finally, it became the champion. How interesting...
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

The top 15 list is a strange one.
It mostly consists of what people are playing at the time and is sort of a "what's trending" list instead of a top game list. Though the 2 are normally very similar. The reason Spellshard was the champ likely had a lot to do with the same team's new game Dungeonmen, which is why I think it's funny that it beat that newer game.
As a sort of example of this, if we were to have this same vote now, it's possible NONE of these games would appear on the list at all, regardless of quality.

edit:....SHOULD we have this same vote now?!
I can't think of a better way to involve the community and possibly hurt feelings!
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I think it's funny that I had two games on there that I've since purged from here/my site.

When I was running HamsterSpeak the Top X list votes were almost always "Games I liked years ago plus one or two recent titles." Some people just submitted the same list every time.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

The Wobbler wrote:When I was running HamsterSpeak the Top X list votes were almost always "Games I liked years ago plus one or two recent titles." Some people just submitted the same list every time.
I admit I might be guilty of this. :(

Part of it has to do with the fact that the "big" OHR games that I tend to play call for at least a good 6+ hour time investment, so the good and bad impressions they leave tend to stick out more. There's also the whole "rose colored glasses" thing. Sword of Jade and Wandering Hamster are definitely in my top 15 still because of the impact they left on me - Jade's message of "Don't give up" came at a particularly depressing stage in my life, and Wandering Hamster's what got me into game design and pixel art as a hobby to begin with. Sure they've got flaws, and there may even be better games out there NOW, but if we're talking about games that've made an impact on us then everyone's list is understandably going to have a few titles that stick around for years and years. I mean, there's people who go on and on about how great FF4 is, and it's been decades since it came out (oh man, we are old).

Small aside, you up for a third (and final) review of Vikings soon? :v:
Last edited by Fenrir-Lunaris on Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

I mean, it's totally logical for people's top games to be longer, more complete titles with ample content that really stuck with them. Nobody's going to have fond memories of an unfinished demo that lasts 10 minutes or a cringy joke game that falls flat on its face in a completely unfunny way.

I'd probably still expect to see a few of the same "OHR Greatest Hits" like Wandering Hamster, Sword of Jade or Vikings of Midgard on a top games list, classic titles like that are practically required reading for 'Intro to OHR 101'. But I imagine if we did a revote in [present day, present time] most of the list would be new faces, like Void Pyramid or the iconic Megaman Sprite Game, and a number of those games we absolutely coveted back in 2013 would fall off due to them never making it out of demo, getting removed from the gamelist, or just fading into obscurity as the devs came out with new works.
Last edited by Idontknow on Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Working as intended!
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

Spoonweaver wrote:....SHOULD we have this same vote now?!
Yes: https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewto ... 634#135634
Vote for the best OHRRPGCE game there!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Six years is a long time, definitely time for another poll!

If they really are good games rather than just a fad, your list of votes should hardly change from year to year. And if it's just nostalgia, then they don't change at all.

Bird: Spellshard was completed in 2011, that's why it shot to the top.
And thank you for creating the Top 30 article on the wiki!

Dungeonmen suffered complaints about the nudity (one backdrop shy of being rated G seems like a pretty suboptimal place to be). Also slightly unfinished (is it just missing a few portraits?)

I get asked, "Where can I find a list of the best [complete] OHR games?" and I can't answer. The Top 15/30 voting format doesn't produce a list like that, it produces lists with huge numbers of joke games. The problem is that the voting method for these polls is absolutely ridiculous, eg 1st place gets 10x more points than 10th place. Some hosts tried to improving the voting method but didn't improve it much*. The closest thing we have are probably the SS or CP gamelists sorted by rating, which look more sensible than the Top 30 lists, but still aren't a good ranking because everyone rated a different set of games at different times.

Mogri started a poll to produce an actual list of the most noteworthy OHR games: OHR Essentials but unfortunately he forgot about it. I think I'll revive it sometime after this Top 30 poll.

*Fundamental problem: If someone doesn't include a game in their ranking it might be because they haven't played it, not because they think it's worse than everything they listed.
Last edited by TMC on Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

The power of math will help us to make an honest voting system, where the vote for a game at all becomes more important and the actual ranking becomes less important however not unimportant. Don't worry about that, I have a good plan!

The official votes on games, be it on Slimesalad or Castleparadox, have their difficulties. On Castleparadox, some teenagers of the year 2004 have voted A+ on tasteless, just terrible bits and bytes. And on Slimesalad, there are not many votes at all. Hopefully the taste of the now grown-ups has sharpened.

The OHR wiki is underestimated in my view. It appears to appear up high in search engines sometimes. So why not feeding it?
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

OK, good.
Ratings of different games on the SS and CP gamelists aren't comparable, but these lists that people draw up for their Top 30 votes actually do allow comparison between games.
Thus I think I would use something like Trueskill to produce rankings, especially for the OHR Essentials format.

There are also the Game of the Year polls. 2007-2011 are hosted on HamsterSpeak, and I think that's likely all that ever occurred.