Game of the Month: May 2013

Announcements that go here will appear on the front page.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Hey folks! I'm still living!

I'll nominate Final Dragon Legacy and Missing.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Chronoboy wrote:
Meowskivich wrote:I never went to CP for anything more than a couple of downloads was all, I like SS here better, feel less sketchy, imo.
Yeah, I agree Castle Paradox does feel kinda sketchy, like an underground site for pirated games. I think it's the uber low contrasts that makes it feel that way.
You guys are bonkers
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Haha, yeah, totally :)

I think CastleParadox is using the default skin for phpbb. Its gamelist does not have as many uploads of recent games, but it has a great selection of older games, many of which are not on SlimeSalad.

I know there has always also been a small scattering of games that are not uploaded to either CastleParadox or SlimeSalad, but they are pretty tough to find.
mjohnson092088
Metal Slime

Post by mjohnson092088 »

I'll second Missing, and also nominate Detelemane (I think that's how it's spelled, but you know which game I'm talking about) and Buelle: A Lance's Tale. Or something like that. TwinHamster's sidescrolling game about midgets with pointy sticks.
Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy... So here's some lunchmeat... Sandwich, maybe?
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I don't think Missing is on SS. And if it were, it would definitely have made GotM already! Gerania also isn't on SS.

I second Horse Game and Genesis, and nominate Sleepover and Dragon Bustier. Won't 2nd the other because I haven't played them.

Detelamane - Legacy of Scars looks deserving of a try though

----

I'm also interested in helping create a giant combined gamelist, as well as a list of articles. It would be a good place to find reviews of games and articles in particular: reviews and articles are spread out over many sites and issues of magazines.

Aside from CP and SS, I am aware of three other lists of significant numbers OHR games where the download links still work. See the wiki page
shakeyair
Slime Knight

Post by shakeyair »

SLIMES!

PS: I'm gonna go play Missing!
Last edited by shakeyair on Thu May 09, 2013 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
mjohnson092088
Metal Slime

Post by mjohnson092088 »

shakeyair wrote:SLIMES!

PS: I'm gonna go play Missing!
Are you nominating SLIMES!? Because I think that was already GotM.
Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy... So here's some lunchmeat... Sandwich, maybe?
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Slimes! was already a GotM, but the Developer thanks you for your nomination anyways. :v:
shakeyair
Slime Knight

Post by shakeyair »

OH! The list is games that have already been GOTM. That... is obvious, in retrospect.
Chronoboy
Slime Knight

Post by Chronoboy »

TMC wrote:Detelamane - Legacy of Scars looks deserving of a try though
Is it just me, or does the game's backstory remind you of Zelda's backstory? Just replace the Detelamane tear with the Triforce and we're golden.
TMC wrote:I'm also interested in helping create a giant combined gamelist, as well as a list of articles. It would be a good place to find reviews of games and articles in particular: reviews and articles are spread out over many sites and issues of magazines.

Aside from CP and SS, I am aware of three other lists of significant numbers OHR games where the download links still work. See the wiki page
A central list is in agreement then. I will create a new thread once I release the current game I am working. The thread will be used to discuss the potential list and what features the community would like to see in such a list.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

OK, but realise that this has been discussed multiple times before. Start by reading this post, and then the rest of that thread. Was it you who once created a mockup of a gamelist browsable by screenshots? If so, you could be just the person we need.
sleepish
Red Slime

Post by sleepish »

Does the game need to be on Slime Salad, or is Castle Paradox okay?
I couldn't find anything that says.
"a manticore asks a wizard whether it, only being 10% human, has a soul like they do. The answer is that the mere act of wondering whether one has a soul is proof of having one."
-Found on TVTropes
Chronoboy
Slime Knight

Post by Chronoboy »

TMC wrote:OK, but realise that this has been discussed multiple times before. Start by reading this post, and then the rest of that thread. Was it you who once created a mockup of a gamelist browsable by screenshots? If so, you could be just the person we need.
Yes, I believe it was me. I was taking ideas from the Zelda Classic QuestDB, it's really impressive:
Viewing a Game
Viewing by screenshot

This is what I was going to attempt to re-create for this community. I like how much metadata an uploader is able to add, which enables games to be easily filtered. Since OHR is turning into a multi-purpose game engine, being able to only see only a specific genre makes it easier to find games. Also being able to flag a game as complete, demo, or even tech demo makes it easier for the player to know if the game their downloading can even be completed, or if it's just a tech demo. Filters are must!
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

While planning for OHR Arcade, I came up with the idea of modeling the gamelist after youtube.
Basically, each game would have tags. Then you could use the search bar and get a list of games. Once on the game's page you could see a list of related games. Also, the rating system would be a simple like/don't like system. And each game would have it's own commenting area. Everyone that I suggested the idea to seemed to like it.
However, some of the things needed to pull this all off were a bit beyond me at the time, and I never really gave the project enough attention to move past those hurdles.
Chronoboy
Slime Knight

Post by Chronoboy »

Spoonweaver wrote:While planning for OHR Arcade, I came up with the idea of modeling the gamelist after youtube.
Basically, each game would have tags. Then you could use the search bar and get a list of games. Once on the game's page you could see a list of related games. Also, the rating system would be a simple like/don't like system. And each game would have it's own commenting area. Everyone that I suggested the idea to seemed to like it.
However, some of the things needed to pull this all off were a bit beyond me at the time, and I never really gave the project enough attention to move past those hurdles.
You seem to have ideas, and I seem to have the web development skills needed to make these ideas into reality. We should work together on this. This evening I am planning on building a simple prototype, which has all the essential features working. Having your input on this prototype would be awesome, you have some really cool ideas, and I am sure you can create a better CSS theme than I could. Most sites I build use the rather professional Twitter Bootstrap. For this type of project, I'd like it to have a community created theme, we have lots of talented artists here who are awesome at creating pixel art. Putting everyones art style into the game list theme I think would be truly awesome! The prototype will use Bootstrap, as it makes it super easy to develop the front-end components. I created a new thread to discuss the new game list and gather community ideas.

Since it's my b-day today, I am going out this evening and tomorrow I am spending lots of time with my family. So, I hope to have a quick prototype site done within the next few hours. I am planning on modeling it after Zelda Classic's as mentioned in my previous post, and the community can provide any changes they might like. I am planning on hosting the source code on BitBucket, so the game list will be licensed under the same license as OHRRPGCE itself, which I think is a good idea.