2013-04-10 Beelzebufo stable release

Announcements that go here will appear on the front page.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

I am confused. Is this a keyboard problem or a mouse problem?

Also, does the same thing happen if you run with the SDL backend?
Keyboard. The backend doesn't matter.
What do you mean by tile mode? The tile-from-tileset picker you get when you press Enter in the tilemap editor? If so, yes, I actually agree that it's too fast. I'll make the key delay the same as it is in the tileset editor.

An option to customise key repeat rate is also planned.
TMC pretty much called it, and I look forward to the customized key repeat rate change.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
jcenterprises
Slime Knight

Post by jcenterprises »

Okay, new problem. Whenever the jumping enemy is in the air and there are no other enemies on the screen, I can't select anything as an attack target. All I can do is cast spells or use items, and if I theoretically run out of MP and items, I'm pretty much stuck.

EDIT: Trying to solve the problem by adding a Defend command, but when the effects ware off after the next turn, their defense is even lower than before. What would be a proper way to implement a Defend command, to make it raise Defense one turn, then return your Defense stat back to normal the next?
Last edited by jcenterprises on Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

At that point, the battle's over.
dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

EDIT: Trying to solve the problem by adding a Defend command, but when the effects ware off after the next turn, their defense is even lower than before.
Make sure the "un-defend" attack is set up right.

If your Defend command boosts your defense to double/triple/quadruple the hero's current defense stat, the attack that undoes it on the next turn should set the hero's defense to half/a third/a quarter of the current (not maximum!) stat to return it to normal.

You could also have the "un-defend" attack set the hero's defense to "100% of maximum," if you don't have any other defense-raising/lowering attacks to worry about getting in the way.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
Calehay
Red Slime

Post by Calehay »

Warning: This might be a stupid question.

I am trying to play around with the new hero battle menu options, but I've run into a snag. It's asking that I use the Insert key to add a menu item, but I am using the Mac build on my Macbook Pro, which has no Insert key. I've heard that the Help button on Mac keyboards can take the place of the Insert key in certain programs and when running in Windows via Bootcamp, but the Macbook Pro keyboard doesn't have an equivalent key or hotkey as far as I am aware. Am I just missing something, or is there a way around this?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I should have made the + key work as an alternate to Insert.

However, after some googling, I have discovered that apparently you can press Fn+Return on a Macbook Pro, and that should be equivalent to Insert
score100
Slime

Post by score100 »

TMC wrote:
I don't understand the question. Import it from what? Import a map or map layer which has been exported from another game, or another map in the same game? Also I don't know what you mean by "6 rows". 6 map layers?
Import an entire bmp file that works as your map or map layer, no matter where it comes from. You can do that at the moment, by importing a tileset, and then going into the tile-editor, and pasting the entire image tile by tile,
which is quite a lot of work though with selecting each tile
and placing it in the acurate spot.
EDIT: Ok found what I needed. The full screen maptile picker was what I needed. :)

oh and thanks of course for pumping out another release again. :angel:
Last edited by score100 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chronoboy
Slime Knight

Post by Chronoboy »

Congrats on the latest release. Glad to see many wanted features make this release, such as turn-based battles, customizable battle menus, and more.

Oh, and kudos on finally fixing the bug with shops allowing to buy an item, even if your inventory is bulging full. I originally found this bug in a previous game I worked on, where I limited the players initial inventory size, and allowed the player to purchase bags to store additional items.
score100
Slime

Post by score100 »

Hey, another thing that just fell into my eye: When being in the map editor and going into one of the modes, switching to passability mode through f3 or door placement mode through f4 doesn't work. switching to all the other modes is no problem, but the f3+f4 keys don't do anything. Working on Ubuntu 12.04 here.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

Bob the Hamster wrote:I should have made the + key work as an alternate to Insert.
Yeah, why isn't that the default to begin with? I found it weird when doing stuff and I press plus, like the rest of the things that you add stuff with, and then I read "insert" and I'm like "uh...k".

Just sayin'. It's not critical for me, but it's weird how everything is either you go to the next choice in a menu and it prompts if you want to add or you push plus and this is the only thing that breaks that combo.

edit: ON A DIFFERENT NOTE: I'm not going to do a full fledged tutorial on things with the OHRRPGCE like I was planning, but I am planning on showing tricks for how to make certain things happen in the game, mostly without plotscripting.

My first video will be on Critical Hits! I will show a few different ways to make them, from being a bonus attack that's chained on at the end (as is suggested in the OHRRPGCE wiki), to AR-PUH-GUH!'s critical hit chances.
Anyone have any wants for me to show? Tricks, tips, or just plain "how do"s otherwise? I'll be glad to share what I know.

Also, videos will be on my youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Meowskivich
Last edited by Meowskivich on Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

score100 wrote:Hey, another thing that just fell into my eye: When being in the map editor and going into one of the modes, switching to passability mode through f3 or door placement mode through f4 doesn't work. switching to all the other modes is no problem, but the f3+f4 keys don't do anything. Working on Ubuntu 12.04 here.
I am also using Ubuntu 12.04, and F3 and F4 work okay for me. Could you try out <a href="http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtop ... est.rpg</a> and let us know what the F2/F3 keys do there?

I am wondering if maybe your window manager is configured to intercept those keys for some other purpose?

(Also, I am using gnome-session-fallback instead of Unity, so that might make a difference)
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

I'm on Xubuntu 12.10, no problems here. And I'm with James here, I had a similar problem before but it turned out that my WM was mapping those keys to other functions.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Chronoboy
Slime Knight

Bug in Map Layers config screen

Post by Chronoboy »

If you press the "+" sign(I use the number pad) while highlighting the "Default Tileset: 0", it gives me the following error message:

Error message: (BUG) Layer menu resetpt broken

I am running OHR in a Windows XP VirtualBox instance(because I fly like that), it's the version from the Downloads page, not custom build.

This error doesn't actually break the map files, as I did continue to work on it after this and saved. The layer is also added nicely afterwards too, so I figure it's just a bug in the editor. I'll also Email this to ohrrpgce-crash@ as well.

Is this error message also outputted to a text file for easy emailing?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Thank you for reporting that bug!

Fortunately TMC fixed it, so the bug is gone in the nightly builds, but it is still present in the Beelzebufo stable release.

If we do a beelzebufo+1 patch release, we can include that fix, but I figure that bug all by itself isn't severe enough to need a + release :)