Hamster Burrow Monthly Roundup - February

Announcements that go here will appear on the front page.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

TheCube
Slime Knight

Hamster Burrow Monthly Roundup - February

Post by TheCube »

Seeing as my time travel machine is broken (flux capacitor problems) I'm posting this late...again. Or maybe you're just really confused about when February ended.

Last month, Adam Perry wrote a very detailed article about what it takes to make a custom combat engine, including plotscripting examples and great advice for anyone starting on a big project. Check it out!

...and that was it! Slow month, eh? I promise I'll get some updates rolling this month and get back to the hard-hitting journalism that the Burrow is known for! Or maybe I'll just write some cool articles about stuff that is fun, and people will send me nifty things to post too.

I've decided to temporarily abandon the idea of themes, as I feel like it might be limiting people rather than giving them ideas. So this month, submit anything you can think of! I'd love to get some reviews up as well.

This month, I'll be talking a bit about music in games and covering some more forum threads with interesting stuff in them. Hopefully I'll actually have those interviews I keep promising as well.
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Re: Hamster Burrow Monthly Roundup - February

Post by Baconlabs »

TheCube wrote:This month, I'll be talking a bit about music in games
Nice, I'm actually reading a book about that right now. I haven't gotten that far yet, but I am about to go on spring break, so I hope to make good progress into it and maybe I can contribute to your discussion. Can you PM me your current plans for this article?
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

I hope to actually gain time within this or the next month to be able to work on MM so you can have something pretty to write about in the next article. Honestly, as I work more on MM the more I feel like AR-PUH-GUH! was trash. A bunch of decent ideas, just poorly executed. Merciful Mungbeans is far more thought out, and I feel will be actually fairly good.
dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V
TheCube
Slime Knight

Re: Hamster Burrow Monthly Roundup - February

Post by TheCube »

Baconlabs wrote:Nice, I'm actually reading a book about that right now. I haven't gotten that far yet, but I am about to go on spring break, so I hope to make good progress into it and maybe I can contribute to your discussion. Can you PM me your current plans for this article?
For sure! I haven't worked on it much, but I'll give you an idea on the direction it'll take when I know. Collaboration for the win. Can I ask what book you're reading?
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

"Music for New Media: Composing for Videogames, Web Sites, Presentations, and other Interactive Media" by Paul Hoffert, a Canadian composer and author.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

cube...are you alive? you haven't done round-ups in a while...
Chronoboy
Slime Knight

Post by Chronoboy »

Meowskivich wrote:cube...are you alive? you haven't done round-ups in a while...
I wouldn't seem so, his last post was exactly 1 month ago today. TheCube will always be remembered. We should make a collaboration game in his memory, I am sure that is what he would have wanted.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Worse, The Hamster Burrow hasn't seen new content since April 1st! Dare I say that that is the reason that there was no April Round-up? Calling on contributors... previews? reviews? retrospectives? articles? art packs?
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

I've been working on a couple things, but school's been keeping me busy from finishing them, so you can expect things for a May round-up, that's for sure.
Master K
King Slime

Post by Master K »

Wha...what ever happened to TheCube? Hamster Burrow seems to have...died.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

I dunno. :(
He hasn't been respawnding to me messages, not even the demo of Mericiful Mungbeans I sent to him for the specific purpose reviewing for the thing.

But it's good to see you back more often again, MK. You were voip for a while yourself.
Master K
King Slime

Post by Master K »

I float around here and there, y'know.

Fair warning, however, that I'm going to be vanishing from the interwebs from July 9th to around August 15th.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

oh dears
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Turns out it's extremely difficult and time consuming to keep a community writing site running.
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

The Wobbler wrote:Turns out it's extremely difficult and time consuming to keep a community writing site running.
It's a shame too because I think it would be really cool to have one again. I can totally see it being a huge timesink though, especially if people don't contribute.