Littlest Game contest voting

Announcements that go here will appear on the front page.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Mogri
Super Slime

Littlest Game contest voting

Post by Mogri »

Time to vote on the Littlest Game contest entries! Here they are:

TheSuperAmazingBlueBallGame by foreverblue2
Double Pumping by misac
Simple by Meowskivich
Jumpman by RMSephy
Questicle by Spoonweaver
Woryurs of Woberyun by Willy Elektrix

Place votes for as many of these games as you've played using the following rubric:

0: This game was a waste of time, and I didn't enjoy it at all.
1: This game is playable, but not very good.
2: I enjoyed this game for what it was.
3: This game is enjoyable even outside the confines of this contest.
4: This is a game that I would recommend to people who are unfamiliar with the OHRRPGCE.
5: This was the best game of the contest (that I did not make).

Please give exactly one game a 5. As mentioned, it should be a game that you didn't make. You can give a 0 to 4 for the rest of the games in the contest. Please pick the value that most accurately reflects how you feel about those games. Use fractions if you must, but remember that only one game should be rated higher than 4.

If you entered a game, you are required to place a 5 vote. Failing to do so will result in a slight score penalty against your entry. You don't have to vote for all of the games, however. Please also restate which restrictions your game uses so that I don't have to fish them out of the contest thread.

Voting ends on the 24th.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

3-TheSuperAmazingBlueBallGame by foreverblue2
2-Double Pumping by misac
0-Simple by Meowskivich
5-Jumpman by RMSephy
4-Questicle by Spoonweaver
3-Woryurs of Woberyun by Willy Elektrix

Questicle is rank 3 on all categories.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

A 1 on simple? You're too kind.

Edit: time for my votings.

0.5 - Simple- the game was a waste of time, but I wouldn't say I didn't enjoy it at all.

1.5 - Woryurs of Woberyun - The game was playable, but I wouldn't say it's not very good, I just didn't find it enjoyable due to it's high random variance that leaves you with almost no fighting chance 4 out of 5 times.

1.5 - Double-pumping - It is what it is, can't say I got any real enjoyment though.

2.5 - Questicle - Seriously, each of these numbers a large leap in tiers, but related to this: I liked the game, but I wouldn't say it stands on it own outside of this contest.

3 - Jumpman - A solid number this time! Only because the leap between 3 and 4 is a rather massive one. Jumpman was easily going to win this contest due to it's fun and simplistic nature, not to mention level checkpoints that you can take to continue from the last level you game-overed at, I would recommend it outside of this contest easily for a nice game to play here and there, however, there is one greater...

5 - TheSuperAmazingBlueBallGame - Holy crud, even outside of this contest, this game would be rather high on the rankings. Its graphics work perfectly, and the smoothness of the gameplay was superb, and dat music *MMMMMMMMmmmmm MMM!* dat music. Seriously, if it wasn't for the OHRRPGCE icons all over the place, I would not think that this was made on the OHRRPGCE. It plays well, it sounds well, and the graphics are amazing for being nearly featureless. My only complaints with it would be that if you press esc on the title menu, the screen is filled with volume switches. and I mean FILLED with it, though you're not supposed to press esc anyway, the reason I did was because of "freeze mode". What is the purpose of Freeze Mode? I honestly thought it crashed my game until I accidentally discovered pressing esc did as described above. Is it SUPPOSED to lock up the game? If so....why did you put it in? I am confused on the matter, but aside from those things, the game is superb and what I feel is the definite winner of this contest with Jumpman nipping at the heels.
Last edited by Meowskivich on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Meowskivich wrote:A 1 on simple? You're too kind.
fixed
Mogri
Super Slime

Re: Littlest Game contest voting

Post by Mogri »

Mogri wrote:Please also restate which restrictions your game uses so that I don't have to fish them out of the contest thread.
Questicle is rank 3 across the board, correct?
RMSephy
Metal Slime

Post by RMSephy »

Jumpman is rank 3 on all categories. And here are my votes:

0 - Simple
Not really much to review here.

1 - Double Pumping
It's a game about tapping a button as quickly as possible.

2 - Questicle
At the base, this is really just a timing game, like one of those arcade games where you press a button to stop a spinning light. I'm rating this above Double Pumping because I liked the graphics, and because it kind of tells a better story. It's not something I would replay though.

3 - Warriors of Woberyn
I enjoyed what I played of this game. It's a bit difficult to control on the faster difficulties.

4 - Jumpman
I think my game's pretty freaking good.

5 - Amazing Blue Ball Game
This game really blew my expectations, especially considering it was foreverblue1's first release. The game is really well scripted and very stylish, and the gameplay is fun and addicting.
Last edited by RMSephy on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

Simple is, what, rank 3 in all? It's ultra simple, and is barely a game. Well, to those who say that certain things are games, it's probably the super mario bros. of stupidly simple crap.

(Just to note, I was going to link to some videos I remember seeing about 4 years ago where I wanted to see some games made in C# or something, and I either got something purely amazing or something that's so stupid that I wanted to throttle the person for making me think they'd actually be showing a game. the one I was going to link would be the ones where about 80k+ people would be in unison of making a "game" where you push a button and you win! ....and that's it. That's all it is, there's one where it's a lightbulb pic and a ghost pic and an unlit lightbulb pic, and the unlit is above the normal lit one, and when you push the button the generic ghost and unlit bulb pics get hidden and it says "you won". Honestly, I feel simple is leagues better for having original music and you have to press right THREE times and THEN you win. Honestly, these retarded videos still get me riled up to this day where I go into my practice program in Visual Basic and I've made a mini-one, next to my "hello world" generic thing, and if you try to "play" the game, hello world will make fun of you in messages it displays)
Last edited by Meowskivich on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
sleepish
Red Slime

Post by sleepish »

All fun, all different, but I'm just not as fast as some people here.

5 TheSuperAmazingBlueBallGame by foreverblue2
Very smooth, excellent collision detection.

2.5 Double Pumping by misac
Only multiplayer game, very good score timing, not much else to it.

0.5 Simple by Meowskivich
Funny hype, not really any game sadly.

4 Jumpman by RMSephy
Very good.

3 Questicle by Spoonweaver
Well made, but could use bit more variety or strategy

3 Woryurs of Woberyun by Willy Elektrix
Very best dialogue, needs to use non-built in collision detection, possibly measuring overlap.
"a manticore asks a wizard whether it, only being 10% human, has a soul like they do. The answer is that the mere act of wondering whether one has a soul is proof of having one."
-Found on TVTropes
foreverblue2
Red Slime

Post by foreverblue2 »

superamazingblueballgame
area rank 3
res rank 1
control rank 1
color rank 2
graphics rank 3 (maybe.. depending on the definition of "overdoing primitives")
score - 3 I still have a headache from this

Double Pumping by misac
score - 2 most interesting play area. well done

Simple by Meowskivich
score - 1.5 best comedy. needs more levels

Questicle by Spoonweaver
score - 3.5 best graphics. I got killed by a dragon.

Woryurs of Woberyun by Willy Elektrix
score - 2.5 Best enemy design. need more room to run around

Jumpman by RMSephy
score - 5+ Taking over turkeykiller as my favorite ohr title. brilliant. i like the all heart level, i kept jumping thinking i was still playin
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

TheSuperAmazingBlueBallGame by foreverblue2: 5
This is fantastic work. I don't know what limitations you were shooting for, but it came out great. Kudos for making a good game first and a simple game second.

Double Pumping by misac: 2
Pretty cool execution of a very simple concept. This really could've been a Game and Watch kind of a title, and I wish I could give you more points for that. I also wish I could give you bonus points for going the extra mile and including a tie conditional. Mad props, mad love, yo!

Simple by [s]Meowskivich[/s]: 0
Minor props for being the only one to "go there", but the goal was to make a good game as simply as possible and this obviously wasn't fun at all.

Jumpman by RMSephy: 3
Fun mechanics and great execution. The second time I played through, I left the first stage with full healh just from holding down the spacebar. I was disappointed that I couldn't repeat that. Love the continue system. Genuinely enjoyable, and something I hope to return to and hope to beat one day.

Questicle by Spoonweaver: 2
A lot cooler than I thought it would be from the screenshots, but still kind of ho-hum. Managed to win on my first playthrough, and got all the way up to the final boss on the second before I screwed up. Kinda solid.

Woryurs of Woberyun by Willy Elektrix: 2
I loved the graphics and the old-school Cylon voice-overs, but I don't think the difficulty settings worked on my first playthrough. I replayed it again just a second ago to refresh my thoughts, and they seemed to be working. It feels like luck is really the deciding factor, and kind of like there should be another mechanic in there somewhere, but for what it is it's good enough.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

I think foreverblue2 is going to win.
I think I'll win too, win lowest score that is! >=D

Also, why's my name crossed out?
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Meowskivich wrote:I think foreverblue2 is going to win.
In a just world, he probably would, but the point modifiers mean that his score is about 40% lower than it seems.

If I could redo the contest rules, I'd put a cap on the points you can receive from challenges. I should have anticipated everyone going for all rank 3, but for some reason, I didn't. It wouldn't be fair to change the rules at this point, but I'll remember this if I ever run the contest again.
Matokage
Slime Knight

Post by Matokage »

5 - TheSuperAmazingBlueBallGame by foreverblue2
I wasn't really espectiong somthing like that, it blew my mind! I Will give it 5 even after those very noticiable bugs
2 - Double Pumping by misac
I admit it wasn't that good, even beign a multi player
0 -Simple by Meowskivich
I would give it -1 if possible
4- Jumpman by RMSephy
Never tought some one would archive something like that. Great job
3 - Questicle by Spoonweaver
Verry good use of timing a a very clean scripting
4 - Woryurs of Woberyun by Willy Elektrix
A great game like always.
"I can't buy food with glory"
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Taking over turkeykiller as my favorite ohr title.
:v: :v: :v:
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

4:TheSuperAmazingBlueBallGame by foreverblue2
1:Double Pumping by misac
0:Simple by Meowskivich
5:Jumpman by RMSephy
2:Questicle by Spoonweaver
3:Woryurs of Woberyun by Willy Elektrix