The Littlest Game contest

Announcements that go here will appear on the front page.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

TheCube wrote:Very nice, I like one-button games. It's quite satisfying getting a critical hit. It's a bit easy though; I had to try really hard to die.
It seems you were right. I had made a mistake and had the hero's hp resetting on every monster. That really is too easy. The new version I just put up keeps the hero's hp constant throughout each play through. Thanks! :D
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

Challenge mode, eh? I'll have to play this newer harder version.

edit: got it, beat it, love it
Last edited by Meowskivich on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I just played Questicle. Fun!

I kept getting as far as the Dragon, and then getting blasted. I kept trying over and over and eventually, I got this error message:

Some script is never ending, perhaps calling itself, or maybe calling something else that calls something else that calls itself. Buttonpress is my first guess, but that is a pretty wild guess, since I haven't looked at the source :)
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Ah, it seems that if you keep playing the game long enough the scripts build up too much or something. Honestly not sure what the best way to fix that would be. Here's the source code for anyone interested. You have my permission to edit it and the game as much as you'd like.

EDIT:Hmm the site seems to be chewing up the code.
EDIT: The site seems to pair any <with> then shoves the first word it can find inside. Kind of impossible to put the code up here with it doing that. I'll just put it into the zip file.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I played Questicle. I didn't find it hard (was using the harder version); won on my second attempt, though I guess the difficulty level is fairly good. It's pretty simple, maybe it could do with a score?

You have questbegin and buttpress calling each other, as well as other scripts ending by calling the next script. There's almost no script that doesn't chain in this way. You've reinvented tail-recursion! Unfortunately you should not use tail recursion in a language that does not guarantee tail call elimination (basically meaning it rewrites your code for you).

To avoid that you should write your code using a top-level while loop. I would put it in questbegin and it would look like

Code: Select all

while &#40;playing&#41; do &#40;
  existing while loop to wait for press/click
  buttpress
&#41;
where playing is a global variable set to false when you die or defeat the current enemy.

It would be lovely if the

Code: Select all

bug was fixed.
Last edited by TMC on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Matokage
Slime Knight

Post by Matokage »

Played Questicle.
It's fun on the first time, i'm going to try and beat every monster with critcals.
"I can't buy food with glory"
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Starting to consider entering more seriously again. Rules clarification request.

Can I use map layers to get more out of my maptile set/16 map tiles?
Can I use all of frames of my X walkabout sets for different things?
What are the limits on in-battle hero sprite sets?
Can I simulate a zoomed viewport by drawing all graphics using 2x2 pixel blocks*? Does that mean I get 64 tiles and a 60x60 map? Or do I need to bite the bullet and implement a resolution option in the engine?
Can I draw graphics primitives like rects and ellipses? What about using box borders, eg. making the UI basically a decorated box border?

*In order for this to be fair, you shouldn't use the builtin font/text system, unless you draw a 3x4 font... which is basically impossible. EDIT: A much easier solution would be to either avoid letters like M and W, or you could draw them 'double-width' using two characters in the font.
Last edited by TMC on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

TMC wrote:Starting to consider entering more seriously again. Rules clarification request.

Can I use map layers to get more out of my maptile set/16 map tiles?
Can I use all of frames of my X walkabout sets for different things?
What are the limits on in-battle hero sprite sets?
Can I simulate a zoomed viewport by drawing all graphics using 2x2 pixel blocks*? Does that mean I get 64 tiles and a 60x60 map? Or do I need to bite the bullet and implement a resolution option in the engine?
Can I draw graphics primitives like rects and ellipses? What about using box borders, eg. making the UI basically a decorated box border?

*In order for this to be fair, you shouldn't use the builtin font/text system, unless you draw a 3x4 font... which is basically impossible. EDIT: A much easier solution would be to either avoid letters like M and W, or you could draw them 'double-width' using two characters in the font.
Yes.
Yes; there's no practical way to enforce it otherwise.
The limits should be clear from the description, but I'll double-check later.
Yes. In this case, you'll need to use the equivalent of your graphical restrictions. This may include, for example, sticking your walkabouts into hero sprites.
Yes to primitives, but you should avoid overdoing it; e.g. constructing entire sprites from rectangles. Borders count as a sprite type for the purposes of that challenge.
RMSephy
Metal Slime

Post by RMSephy »

I've uploaded my entry for this contest:

http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=98597

I'm alleging Level 3 in all the categories. Under 6400 pixels, one button, one set of walkabouts.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

RMSephy wrote:I've uploaded my entry for this contest:

I'm alleging Level 3 in all the categories. Under 6400 pixels, one button, one set of walkabouts.
Holy crap! This game is hard! Great work! The controls feels very smooth.

I'm at level 5.
Last edited by Willy Elektrix on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

I just played Questicle too. Fun, but I beat it too quickly. It only took me about 6 tries to defeat the dragon.

I encountered the same bug that some others seem to have. If you play for a certain period of time, you eventually get a script error.
SDHawk
Metal Slime

Post by SDHawk »

Rank I: Four maps? You only need one! Put your entire game onto one continuous map -- partitioning one map into several effective maps is cheating. (5 points)
Curious as to the meaning of partitioning. Is it okay to have a continuous map that happens to have discrete zones (ie, part of the map is a forest, part of it is a clearing, part of it has a hut)?

Clearly one map that acts as though it were multiple isn't okay (ie black edges around the interior of a house in one part and the exterior with a door warping between the two).
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

I'm guessing it is the "several areas separated by black space" kind of thing that's not allowed. Several things on the same map should probably be okay I would think, as long as it can't be mistaken for multiple maps.
Last edited by FnrrfYgmSchnish on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Another question: if I don't attempt any of the ranks in the resolution category (rank 0 so to speak), is there any restriction on the resolution?
Last edited by TMC on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matokage
Slime Knight

Post by Matokage »

RMSephy wrote:I've uploaded my entry for this contest:

Great Job, I get to level 7 on first try.
"I can't buy food with glory"