The Surlaw Reviews - 1/2/23 - 2022 Year in Review

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I played the first five or six floors in co-op with my wife and she got sick of it way faster than I did. I did finish it after the review was posted though! The ending is the best part of the game
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Wow, Toejam & Earl. What a blast from the past. I remember a friend of mine renting it one weekend and us playing it for about an hour before getting bored with it. Yet, for some reason it had appeal. I think we liked the co-op split part of the game. I do remember it taking forever to do anything in it, and the disappointment that came from losing after having accomplished so little. But, that's what made the early '90s so great.

As for the game's cult status, I think that had largely to do with the marketing push for the game. I seem to recall it saturating the advertising industry for months. That was the only reason why I wanted to play it in the first place. Back then, you had Sonic and Toejam & Earl stealing the Super Nintendo's thunder. I think Comix Zone tried to steal a little also, but by the time that one came out, everyone's console niche had already been carved out.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Comix Zone, now there's a terrible game I look forward to tearing into once I get to it. Great concept, absolutely abysmal execution.

On a happier note, I like Yoshi.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

The ending was pretty nice. I'd really like to try making similar split screen co-op games eventually. Would like to add support to the OHR for multiple views on the map/multiple maps.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

First movie review since August: Cosmopolis, a movie you probably won't like. I did.
TheCube
Slime Knight

Post by TheCube »

Neat, I've never heard of Cosmopolis. I'm a fan of Cronenberg's work in the same way I'm a fan of child birth: from a safe distance. This, however, sounds like a movie I could actually watch.

I was glad you mentioned American Psycho, because it sounds a lot like that movie (never read the book) thematically at least. That's a movie that resonates with me even though it's mostly BS.

I'll have to give this a shot when it comes out on DVD.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I've finally reviewed them all: Mass Effect
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Django Unchained First few paragraphs are for people who haven't seen it yet, rest is for people who have.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Woah now I'm way behind on updates here, look at that. I know you goons are reading these from the pageviews coming from here, so don't forget to comment.

Carnival - My wife goes to the arcade.
Dragon's Dogma - A dragon stabbin' game.
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link - The Best Zelda.
Super Mario Bros. 2 - The Best Mario.

I also wrote a thing about my favorite stuff of 2012.
Last edited by The Wobbler on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

the best Platformer RPG style zelda game of the lot. I'll have to read these.
dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V
msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

Agree with pretty much everything brought up for Zelda and Mario. Except that palette swaps of enemies never bothered me.
I am Srime
msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

Okay, that Carnival review has a picture of the game, and some of the targets (apparently the dangerous ones, according to the review) look like sprites of that awful 'evil ghost-duck' thing that could travel through walls and kill you in some old game. I can't for the life of me think of what this game was called! It was a computer game, maybe a DOS game. The object in each level was (I think) to find this cup/trophy looking thing, while avoiding this duck.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about here? I feel like you still see references to this every now and again.
I am Srime
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

The Duck-Dragon from Adventure, perhaps.
msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

YES that's it. I guess it doesn't actually look THAT similar. Wow, thanks for coming through on that!

And I've really enjoyed a lot of the reviews on your site. Just read the Dark Knight Rises review (finally saw it a week before xmas); agree for the most part. I still like the second movie better, which felt like almost a psychological thriller at times. This one just feels like a super-solid action movie. Any 'message' is too muddled for me. The humanity of the secondary characters was great, as you indicated.
I am Srime
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Glad you're enjoying them! I'm trying to decide whether to go with Skyfall, Wreck It Ralph, or The Hobbit for the next movie review, I could go for any of them right now. Tomorrow's going to be another NES game though.