Heart of the OHR Contest 2012

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Stewitus P.
Slime Knight

Post by Stewitus P. »

Oh its by no means all I plan on adding. I've already got the groundwork for a whole dungeon, new heroes and bosses, even a new item-driven level system and economy. And plans for more. And the redesign would add story, bosses, and text (read:jokes.) I was just wondering if it would add to the 30-minute requirement or not.
—- So anyway, how are you?
ncw64
Slime Knight

Post by ncw64 »

"Ahh, excuse me for double posting, I forgot all about my bug-fix/request.

I was hoping you could update the hero list, and preferably more(maybe even all of the major ones!) on the custom editor so that you can scroll through on more detailed pages. Similar to how you can scroll through tiles WHILE setting them on the map, rather than go back and forth over and over again. An example would be with hero stats, to be able to use the ">" and "<" keys to navigate through while on the stats page so you don't have to memorize or write down stats when comparing them to an "average" character, and then go back and click so many buttons and arrow keys to get to where you want to be. Using the two keys listed above would save much time and finger strength in almost any menu, especially the attack menu and hero/enemy stat menus, in my opinion. So, if anything, those three menus would be nice to be updated in such a way, if not all of them!

sorry that was so long. I have no real clue what to do haha..."

Was my post on page 7ish of the original heart thread! Sorry to bring it up again- that probably won't be my actual request for 2012, though, so I guess now it's more one of those: if you feel like doing it things, since it's my fault for not bringing attention to it really, haha!
You can't fix stupidity.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

@ncw64: Oh! Yes, I think I remember now. And I probably told you that doing that was part of the Editor Editor plan, so I didn't want to spend the time to implement it in just the hero editor only to replace it later with the editor editor (which is probably a terrible excuse for not doing it, but it is the excuse that I have ;)
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I'm entering. Since I can't completely win with Legendary Heroes anymore I shall either only submit 1 new game or submit 2 games.

I want battle scripting, and smaller pixels.

Last edited by Spoonweaver on Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Spoonweaver wrote:I want battle scripting, and smaller pixels.
Bug bounty: $1.50

I like those sprites :)
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Well, I guess I'll just officially say that I'll be entering Legacy. I plan to have the game at least up to Act IV or V (The story has 15 acts mapped out).

For my bug/feature, I'd like an addition to the menu where you select plotscripts. Right now, you type in the first letter, and it'll go to the first script with that letter, but you can't type out more than one letter. It would be neat if you could type more than one letter, so you don't have to sift through all those non-numbered plotscripts.

Anywho, here's me hoping to finish on time, cheers!
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

Current progress................40% Complete, give or take. It has... RPG elements. Honest!

I actually want one of TWO things. Both would be fabulous, but I'm not picky about either.

The first one would be to have the engine support "Secret of Mana / Chrono Trigger" style 8 directional movement or half-tile movement WITHOUT having to resort to scripting wizardry. There's really only one game of mine that got about halfway through its development before it ran into that programming wall.....

The second request is to allow players to use the 32x40 hero sprites as walkabouts for heros and NPCs WITHOUT having to use the magic of slices or scripting. The simpler and easier this is for OHR newbies who have zero scripting ability to implement the better!

I will more than likely NOT submit another update for Vikings this year (but I *am* still working on fleshing out the battles and tackling game bugs).
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Wow, is that a MLG sequel?
James Paige wrote:And I probably told you that doing that was part of the Editor Editor plan, so I didn't want to spend the time to implement it in just the hero editor only to replace it later with the editor editor (which is probably a terrible excuse for not doing it, but it is the excuse that I have ;)
(Especially since I ended up rewriting half the hero editor anyway, but no one suggested any improvements)

What's with everyone naming two requests? Is everyone assuming they'lll win?
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Well, youu should never really enter anything expecting to lose, hehe
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
jcenterprises
Slime Knight

Post by jcenterprises »

For now, I can say that my game will have mad cows and pirates in it.

As for bugfixes, my game is going to need that music loop crash fix bad. Basically if a theme is too short, silent or repetitive, Game.exe crashes on Windows 7. It was discussed in a prevous topic: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5070

As for the second request, if I win, is there any way to make a song loop only once? That is what I originally wanted for the victory theme, which is why it is so short.
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

Hoping to have at least one entry into the HotOHR this year, which will most likely be a game I've been working on since late-2010/early-2011 but haven't actually publicly posted anything about yet. It's already at least a 2-hour demo right now, so I could probably release it early... but I still have another decent-sized town to finish before I can get the story to a good stopping point, and there's also a few random things I need to finish before a few areas of the game (mostly optional ones, but a few missing things from required areas) are 100% done.

I might even end up entering two games, depending on just how far I manage to get on Fnrrf Ygm Schnish: Alleghany Hell School before the summer's over. Right now I'm working on getting rid of the "pastel-ish" look the graphics had as a result of being made on a half-dead monitor where everything was really dark, but that should be done before too long. Here's a look at the new "during power outage" maptiles:

ImageImage
(On the right is a screenshot of the old, not-as-dark maptiles for comparison... maybe a bit of JPG-fuzz unfortunately, since I didn't have any screenshots of the old tiles hanging around and had to grab one I had on Facebook.)
Last edited by FnrrfYgmSchnish on Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Mogri, if you're reading this, is there any chance you could sticky this thread? Not that anyone will forget about this contest any time soon, but it would be nice if incoming newbies were made aware of it as soon as they check the forums. The more people we have submit entries, the better.

Thanks.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

I updated the <a href="http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce ... ">requests list on the wiki</a>
BMR wrote:For my bug/feature, I'd like an addition to the menu where you select plotscripts. Right now, you type in the first letter, and it'll go to the first script with that letter, but you can't type out more than one letter. It would be neat if you could type more than one letter, so you don't have to sift through all those non-numbered plotscripts.
This is a good and reasonable request. I might make typing more like a search-filter rather than making it jump through the list, but the results would be similar.
Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:I actually want one of TWO things. Both would be fabulous, but I'm not picky about either.
Better to just pick one for now.
Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:The first one would be to have the engine support "Secret of Mana / Chrono Trigger" style 8 directional movement or half-tile movement WITHOUT having to resort to scripting wizardry
<a href="http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce ... king">This plan</a> seems to match what you want. It is difficult, and I don't know how long it will take me, but it is a good request.
Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:The second request is to allow players to use the 32x40 hero sprites as walkabouts for heros and NPCs WITHOUT having to use the magic of slices or scripting. The simpler and easier this is for OHR newbies who have zero scripting ability to implement the better!
I almost did this last year, but TMC talked me out of it because of (very good) compatibility reasons. <a href="http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce ... outs">this plan</a> is what I was going to do, but we agreed that it would be better to <a href="Plan for raising sprite frame limits">this plan</a> first.
jcenterprises wrote:As for bugfixes, my game is going to need that music loop crash fix bad. Basically if a theme is too short, silent or repetitive, Game.exe crashes on Windows 7. It was discussed in a prevous topic: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5070
I think you should pick a different request. The short-midi-loop crash is probably the single worst bug in the Windows version of the OHRRPGCE. I hate this bug, and it has been frustrating me for a long time. The very first instant that we CAN fix it, we definitely WILL fix it, so making it your request is sort of a waste, since you will get it anyway without asking :)
jcenterprises wrote:As for the second request, if I win, is there any way to make a song loop only once? That is what I originally wanted for the victory theme, which is why it is so short.
Doing this is kinda tricky, but I am sure it is not impossible. I don't know much about the music backends, so it will be hard for me to do this without a lot of studying. TMC might know how to do it more easily, but it is I, and not him who has volunteered feature/bugfix requests, so I won't make any promises on his behalf ;)

This early in the game, anybody is welcome to change their request if they want.
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ncw64
Slime Knight

Post by ncw64 »

I would like to request the following feature: the ability to alter elemental resistances in battle!

I thought the armamentalist class in DQ9 was pretty cool, and I'd like to be able to do similar things!
You can't fix stupidity.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

Armamentalist was my class of choice, for a while at least.
It's a shame they only learned support skills though, and only one of the ones I truly wanted (you know, discounting the ability to change your elemental attributes in battle. that was pretty sweet). If only they learned AT LEAST buff......
dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V