THE NEW 2012 WEEK LONG OHR RANDOM COLAB CONTEST

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Master K
King Slime

Post by Master K »

So...me and Spoon...this...should be interesting.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

These teams look really fantastic. I am excited for you to make games for me to play.
SDHawk
Metal Slime

Post by SDHawk »

TMC & SDHawk Day 1 Journal
-

So we've ironed out the basic idea of what we're going to do and have a rudimentary design doc written down. TMC is about to start up the real work as I'm going to bed (our radically different time zones seems to result in a time period where we both meet up followed by the rest of the day working alone. ). When I saw the team line ups my first thought was to make TMC actually finish a contest game for once. Now that I look at what we have lined up I realize how wishful that thinking was.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

SDHawk & TMC Collab, Day 1

It only took a few hours of discussions for our spirits to fall low enough to agree to a compromise between our horrible game ideas. We both wanted to do something new and interesting, but agreed that all the interesting stuff would be too much work. Anyhow, Hawk wrote up a quick design doc which said absolutely nothing about what the graphics should be, then went to bed, entrusting me to draw some tiles. I sketched some maptile designs on paper and had the brilliant idea of trolling Hawk by drawing isometric tiles and ruining his hopes of completing the game. I nearly went ahead with it, however I realised that it was an even stupider idea than I had thought (6 tiles per isometric ground tile), so I drew some regular tiles instead. Feeling accomplished, I quit Custom without saving my work (unknowingly) and played some Minecraft until it crashed my computer. Also wasted hours hunting bugs in reused scripts/tools. Hawk woke up so I quickly drew some new tiles.

Progress:
Tiles drawn: 8
Bugs squashed: a whole lot
Pages of musical score scanned: 16
Last edited by TMC on Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Master K
King Slime

Post by Master K »

Master K and Spoonweaver, Log One

After much deliberating on the IRC, we came up with a game idea pretty swiftly. Spoon shall be doing much of the scripting, and we shall collaborate with the artwork. Our game is going to be a horror escape game called Dread. I immediately got started on graphics as soon as we came up with the solid idea. I already have the hero graphics, enemy graphics, and some maptiles already shelled out. Hopefully this'll evolve into something awesome.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Spoonmaster's Journal 1:

We quickly decided to make a spooky game. surprisingly we had both thought of making one on our own so there was little to discuss. Master K took the lead in development and we ended up using his ideas for the spooky game instead of mine to do a game based off investigating ghosts like they do in shows like Ghost Hunters.

So, with ideas in hand we set out to do the jobs we had claimed. Master K started working on graphics and reported finishing the hero and enemy graphics last night. I set out to do some of the scripts we would need for the game, such as a HUD and a bit of AI.

If progress continues to this degree, this game will win easily!
RMSephy
Metal Slime

Post by RMSephy »

RMSephy & Giz: Day 1 Highlights!

- A basic theme and premise is drawn out of a random word hat! Afterwards the contestants immediately set to work discussing how they can cut corners.

- Sephy manages to pawn off a truck's load of drawing tasks on Giz's back while he goes off somewhere to watch TV.

Coming up next is the weekends! Two and a half days of relaxation and slacking off! Will Sephy and Giz finish the game in the four days remaining when they finally decide to get serious, or will they end up regretting not making better use of their time during their brief vacation?

Stay tuned!
Master K
King Slime

Post by Master K »

Master K and Spoonweaver, Log Two

We've really progressed. We have our gameplay mechanics almost practically done. I have a lot more maptiles done. I have two maps done...

At this rate, me and spoon could really win this thing.
SDHawk
Metal Slime

Post by SDHawk »

TMC & SDHawk, Day 2

Woke up to TMC assaulting me with his mad man's hamsterspeak improvement hackjob thingamajig. Read up on it and then proceeded to not actually use it today, though I suspect it will be useful in the near future.

Proceeded to spend the day in a panicked state on account of the scope of the project. Started off with some light interface design (that still needs work!) as well as other basics, took a breather by doing some tiles that pale compared to TMC's (I had no idea that guy was such a pixel artist!), and finished up on a high note of implementing the lighting system (that TMC forgot about wanting).

You can already sort of feel the death spiral coming on in these journals but for now I remain steadfast.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Contest Observational Journal, Day 1

I can't believe I forgot that both James and TMC were wrapped up in this contest. Makes me wish I had finished that feature I wanted them to test out in my game a day earlier. Now I may have to wait a week for their opinions. Confound my lateness!
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Master K
King Slime

Post by Master K »

Master K and Spoonweaver, Log Three

More rooms have been completed, more scripting has been done, and some story has now been added! The game has also gotten a name change. This game is becoming awesome! I'm glad to have gotten Spoon as a partner so he could do the scripting, because I wanted to do this idea before, but the scripting was over my head. Now, it's almost a reality!
RMSephy
Metal Slime

Post by RMSephy »

Giz and Sephy - Day 2

Made some decent progress today. Scripted the movement for the Unspeakable Horror, and started scripting stuff for the rhythm game part of the game. To be totally honest I'm pulling a lot of stuff out of my [s]slime[/s] hat and tossing it together and I'm not totally sure how well it'll work in the end. You'll notice that I started putting Giz's name in front of mine so he'll get more of the blame if things go south.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Spoonmaster's Journal 2:

Things have gone amazingly. We could have entered this thing into a 48hr contest and won I believe. However, time is still not up and there's more things we can do. I'm really trying to work on polish. Having done the bulk of my scripting, the game is in Master K's hands now, but I still think I can do a lot more. Animations, sounds effects, flashing text... Though these things may be small and silly alone, when put all together I'm hoping it'll create something truly worth playing.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

SDHawk & TMC Collab, Day 2 (backdated)

Started work at 9pm. I wanted to draw a circle wider than 20 pixels, so I started by familiarising myself with GrafX2. After a few hours of memorising three-button shortcuts, felt right at home. Spent a few hours working on a crazy tile-slice-hybrid thing (3 tiles and 4 min of work for anyone else), but never wrote the scripts for it.

Circles draw: 0
Log entries written: 0 (wrote this one during day 3!)
You'll notice that I started putting Giz's name in front of mine so he'll get more of the blame if things go south.
I thought of it first!
Last edited by TMC on Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
SDHawk
Metal Slime

Post by SDHawk »

TMC
& SDHawk Day 3

Refined the interface a bit. Spent the entire rest of the day pondering how to handle on map items. Did not actually get much work done on map items. Had discussion of whether to change the game. Decided against it since we collectively have no ideas. Hope I actually get something done tomorrow instead of spending all day whining that I have no relaxation time whilst staring at the wall instead of working.
Last edited by SDHawk on Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.