First Fantasy

Write and read reviews of games that have been uploaded to Slime Salad.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

First Fantasy

Post by JSH357 »

First Fantasy is a neat little start to a game. If another version gets released, I'll gladly play it. What sets it apart from a lot of RPGs is the setting: First Fantasy takes place in an era of early man. This makes for a unique musical style that breathes a lot of character in to an otherwise familiar quest narrative.

The graphics are hit and miss. At times (the rivers in the forest... wow) they are quite splendid, and at times (the trees) they are jarring to say the least. All in all, it looks inconsistent. This is problematic, but it's passable enough that my eyes weren't offended.

The gameplay that's here is pretty minimal, standard RPG fare, so I guess I need to talk about the intro sequence. Holy cow, it looks nice. More OHR games need to do this kind of scrolling effect to tell a story. It looks really smooth, and at times resembles a cave painting (despite appearing to be made in MSPaint), which fits the game very well! My only problem with the intro is it's a really boring world origin story that, naturally, has little bearing on the plot presented to us in the early game. As such... I kind of feel like it should be cut. That pains me to say, as it's so groovy. Well, at least it's optional.

This is a game worth checking out, but we won't know its full potential until G-Wreck brings us another release.

Rating: 5.5 Promising Starts out of 10
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com