Doom: Evil Unleashed

Write and read reviews of games that have been uploaded to Slime Salad.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Doom: Evil Unleashed

Post by JSH357 »

I must preface this by saying I’ve never played Doom or any of its sequels. Thankfully this didn’t matter too much as it was pretty easy to tell what was going on in Evil Unleashed. The dialogue is clear enough (and not written by the creator of the game, if I’m remembering right?). In fact, the dialogue was actually probably the best part of the 15 minutes I played here—it did a good job establishing the present characters.

I can’t figure out what I’m supposed to do in this game. It’s possible I’m just an idiot, but I explored all of the rooms, found a switch that didn’t seem to do anything, and deemed it impossible to continue. It’s kind of a shame because I thought that otherwise the game was put together better than anticipated. I also found a lot of ammo lying around, but no guns to use said ammo with. Perhaps they are to be found later on.

Evil Unleashed makes several steps toward looking polished that I appreciated. The face in the UI indicating your health status is a nice touch, I assume taken from the original Doom. The sound effects are well done, though the menu noises could be lowered in volume a tad. I appreciate the creator’s attempt to make corpses appear when you kill enemies, but this is sadly quite buggy through no fault of his own. The OHR just doesn’t handle such things well. I’m afraid that to an outsider, corpses appearing in the corner of the screen would just look silly.

Overall I’m surprised that a first-person shooter makes such a neat transition to the RPG genre, but since I haven’t played many games like this I could just be behind the times. I’m sure there’s a way to move forward in the game, so I’m going to give Evil Unleashed the benefit of a doubt. It’s probably decent for what it is.

Rating: 5.5 Mutilated Corpses out of 10
Last edited by JSH357 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com