Ruin

Write and read reviews of games that have been uploaded to Slime Salad.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Ruin

Post by JSH357 »

I want to love this game. It’s clear there’s a ton of love and dedication being put in to it, and it has a lot of little things that add up to make it special. Great work with the menus, original music, lots of flavor text and little puzzles, lots of variety in enemies, a BLUE MAGE, and more. If you haven’t checked Ruin out yet, you really need to. Even though the graphics aren’t perfect, the music has some annoying loops at times, and the game needs someone to clean up the text boxes better, you still get the sense that this was somebody’s dream game coming to fruition. I have the utmost respect for the creator for continuing to polish it after all this time. I want to get this out of the way because I don’t want my major criticism of the game to sound so harsh—I hate the flaw, not Ruin.

My problem with Ruin, and too many OHR games to count, is that the bulk of challenge in the game comes from attacks missing. I can lose to a boss fight because, despite preparing for it and using all the right moves, my characters decide they’re never going to land a blow. You don’t see this happen in professional games too often these days, and there’s a good reason for it. It’s frustrating and professional playtesters are bound to complain about it. I’m not knocking Ruin’s playtesters—there are so many improvements from the last time I played this that I’m extremely impressed. However, I do find it odd that either nobody noticed this or the creator did not do enough to abet it. It’s doubly frustrating because the battles seem so meticulously crafted. For instance, we have the first boss with the jellies that evolve over time. It’s a great battle concept, and I would think it’d be ultra hectic even without the evasion problem. I don’t NEED my attacks missing constantly to feel the pressure here, but the pressure is coming from all the wrong places. I could make the same complaint about various random encounters leading up to this boss. This is artificial difficulty at its worst and both my experience and the game’s quality in and of itself would be vastly improved if it were easier to hit enemies. You can still have accuracy and evasion, that’s fine! But I should be spending more time exploring your game and enjoying it than cursing because the attack I burned MP on missed and now I have to wait on the turn meter to fill up.

Ruin is on the road to being one of the best OHR games. It’s overcome a lot of its shortcomings, and I believe that the creator will have made something he can be proud of in the end. Maybe he’ll fix what I’m talking about and maybe he won’t—this is just one man’s opinion, but as long as I’m reviewing these games, I want to be completely real. The game is not going up in my book until this is addressed.

Rating: 7 Ribeye Steaks out of 10
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com