Sno reviews Grey Star Lives

Write and read reviews of games that have been uploaded to Slime Salad.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Snodrvr
Red Slime

Sno reviews Grey Star Lives

Post by Snodrvr »

Gameplay
Grey Star Lives reminds me a lot of the old choose your own adventure books. There's no real way of knowing which option is for the best, So you choose one and see what happens then go back and try it again. Experimenting will find some interesting variations in the path. They all tend to hit the same milestones, but sometimes with a different context. The Sword and shield bit was pretty good. I liked that it gave one "Right" path to the game, but also that there were still a few "Happy" endings without finding them.

Story
As mentioned before, there are a few paths to go down. The narrative is purposely vague, though there is a clear definition between the "good" and the "bad" endings. There is some subtlety here that I think really adds to the game. I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't played yet. I really liked the single words worked into the background images and the sentences they construct. I must confess I spent some time trying to decipher a code when they switched to numbers later in the game.

Graphics
It's basically a text based adventure, but with some nice and somewhat trippy backgrounds that lend a nice atmosphere.

Music
The music sets a nice mood to the game. It isn't anything fancy, but it adds a very creepy feel to things.

Overall, I think this a pretty neat game. It goes to show a lot can be done without plotscripts.