HamsterSpeak 55 Online

Announcements that go here will appear on the front page.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

HamsterSpeak 55 Online

Post by The Wobbler »

http://superwalrusland.com/ohr/issue55/cover.html

A small issue with lots of colorful pictures. For cool guys only.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Loved the Cool Guy Bob art. Good issue overall.
Master K
King Slime

Post by Master K »

Nice cover! It feels good to see my artwork in the gallery, especially Master K (Not me as in my username, my avatar).

Maybe next month a demo of Pokemon Beige will be in there.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

A note to Willy Electrix, and anyone else who does a retrospective on an old game: Most of the games on CP dated Feb. 2, 2003 were ports from Operation: OHR and are in fact older than 2003. I'm pretty sure The Adventures of Bill was released in 2001 or 2002. Unfortunately, there is no record of when games were released on Operation: OHR, so you really just have to refer to them as pre-Castle Paradox, or pre-2003.

Just wanted to clear that up.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Pepsi Ranger wrote:A note to Willy Electrix, and anyone else who does a retrospective on an old game: Most of the games on CP dated Feb. 2, 2003 were ports from Operation: OHR and are in fact older than 2003. I'm pretty sure The Adventures of Bill was released in 2001 or 2002. Unfortunately, there is no record of when games were released on Operation: OHR, so you really just have to refer to them as pre-Castle Paradox, or pre-2003.
Thank you for that great info. I've suspected that for a while since I've never seen a Castle Paradox game older than 2003. I'm assuming Operation: OHR isn't archived anywhere, right?

Also, out of curiosity, what are some of the oldest known OHR games that are still available?
Last edited by Willy Elektrix on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

http://www.castleparadox.com/archive/op ... isthub.php

Some of the links don't work anymore.
ncw64
Slime Knight

Post by ncw64 »

Awesome issue... I miss SBG though :( If I have ideas am I free to submit them? Although they're probably anything but original...
You can't fix stupidity.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Willy Elektrix wrote:Also, out of curiosity, what are some of the oldest known OHR games that are still available?
These ones: http://rinku.castleparadox.com/Ohrhits/

This list of games might help: if you scroll to the bottom you'll see a list of all the RPG files on CP (main game list, Op:OHR, and ohrhits), SS, and a few others, sorted by the modified date of the RPG file. Halfway through the file it lists the long name and about line for each game.
Shizuma
Slime Knight

Post by Shizuma »

I really love the cover. Thanks a lot Jack.

Will read the whole thing tomorrow.
Last edited by Shizuma on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

TMC wrote:
Willy Elektrix wrote:Also, out of curiosity, what are some of the oldest known OHR games that are still available?
These ones: http://rinku.castleparadox.com/Ohrhits/

This list of games might help: if you scroll to the bottom you'll see a list of all the RPG files on CP (main game list, Op:OHR, and ohrhits), SS, and a few others, sorted by the modified date of the RPG file. Halfway through the file it lists the long name and about line for each game.
That is very interesting. I'll make good use of this. Thank you very much.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Hey Willy, just wanted to reiterate if you haven't noticed it already that the list gives only the dates when a game was last uploaded, not when it was first uploaded. Might be important to remember.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

The oldest available games predate Castle Paradox anyway.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Pepsi Ranger wrote:Hey Willy, just wanted to reiterate if you haven't noticed it already that the list gives only the dates when a game was last uploaded, not when it was first uploaded. Might be important to remember.
I had noticed that. So the first games were made in 1997 or 1998. At what point did the engine start to run in Windows? At what point was the 4 map restriction abolished?

I'll probably cover Heart of Riva for next issue. Interestingly, I already have a copy of that on my hard drive for some reason.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Feb 2006 was the first official release of the Windows version

http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce ... ease_Dates
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

In my opinion, it's more likely the engine was first released in early 1998 than in 1997 (no one seems to remember). I was wondering myself when the 4 map limit was removed; there are no records for that either. I'll eventually work it out when I look into the bugs in reading maps from ancient games.
Last edited by TMC on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.