Post new topic    
Page «  1, 2, 3, 4  »
Metal Slime
Send private message
Re: The Say It Ain't So Contest, Judging Begins 
 PostFri Nov 04, 2011 6:53 am
Send private message Reply with quote
JSH357 wrote:
- All game creators MUST quote a judge's writings and say they approve of the rankings for three out of four games. In short, they must judge the judging.


Approving the rankings for 3 out of four games by default means we have to accept the ranking of the 4th game whether we like it or not. Clever.

Spoonweaver wrote:
As with all of Fenrir's games, the graphics in this game were top notch. Some of the most refined graphics in the whole contest wee in this game. ( This includes the ripped graphic in Sephy's entry ) Graphics are very important when you're making the kind of game that this contest was calling for, but they aren't everything.


I probably agree with you more on this one part than you realize, since a video game by default MUST be visually stimulating, or else it loses the ability to draw in its player and attempt to engage with them.

Spoonweaver wrote:
The fact that this game was so incomplete is what landed it in 3rd place. As disturbing as some of the enemies and overall plot might have been, I still would have liked to see more. There's an overabundance of unfinished games in the OHR community and I don't plan to reward someone for adding another.


While I won't deny that the game itself is incomplete, and that the whole prospect of the game is disturbing (it IS a Rape Dungeon), I will protest that its incompleteness is any more of a hampering factor than the amount of content in it as, say, No Eat. The entire opening sequence DOES change your stats depending on your conversational partners. Enemies change form and mutate into more unsettling forms, their patterns changing in response to the player's own actions. And how about that one fish-like weapon you can just repeatedly wail on a foe with? In short, the overwhelming amount of content in such a short span of game time (1 hour for most) should have been weighed more heavily.

Spoonweaver wrote:
The gameplay was very basic in this game. Which isn't terrible, but after seeing what the other games in the contest had to offer, I found myself bored with this title.


Again, the gameplay was most certainly not basic, although it does indeed use the default OHR battle setup, though only because it's the most familiar part of the engine to stand out to those who're familiar with it. Unless I've been sitting under a rock, most OHR games do not involve too many transforming foes. Or have completely unique attacks to differentiate them from one another. Or include a run button. Or a custom technique gaining format. Or a unique stat gaining mechanic.

But I think the most important point is that as developers who've come to regard the engine as something more than being able to create SNES style JRPGs, we've come to look at those games that don't use complicated scripting or a unique custom format as "underwhelming". Because anything that doesn't do those could only be "basic" since that's the majority of the OHR's game library. In short, I think we've come to see the games that use the engine as intended as "basic" because as developers who've grown out of using them and have desired to make something different using our familiar tools.

And anyhow, the general public wouldn't care that the game itself utilized "basic" OHR conventions such as the normal battle interface. It's familiar and easy to get into. For those people who've only played a few RPGs before, it shouldn't be a profound step-up for them to learn a system they're unfamiliar with. Unfamiliarity breeds experimentation, and as a player experiments with the game they should tend to learn its rules so long as they make sense and reinforce the game's experience as a video game. First and foremost though, it should be fun. Who cares if someone thinks a game is lacking in impressive mechanics, so long as they're having fun?

~1400 people agreed enough with this prospect to download the game in the last 4 days. The contributions of many MANY people involved in the project actually made it a financial success. It paid the bills. No seriously, I have a roof over my head right now BECAUSE people paid to have their own creations in the game. All because the target market for it was people who wanted to play a "classic styled RPG" with sexy elements. Granted, they all just happened to be fuzzy, but that's a story for another time.

Spoonweaver wrote:
The ripped music wasn't doing this game any favors either.


I apologize in advance for the 2 Slimes 1 Cup music. That alone leads me to agree with your ranking, despite my previous diatribe. That and my financial situation dictates that I must aim for those delicious coupons, so I thank you in advance.

Charbile wrote:
It wasn't too long ago that Fenrir, JSH, and I had a talk in a journal I wrote. It seems like a long time ago, but probably not that long. It's what brought me back: Fenrir claimed his BLB game was the most praised and beloved ohr game in existence. I didn't doubt him. This was porn we were talking about.


I can't remember the exact context, but I've known for a long LONG time that of all the games I've ever made, "Barely Legal Bitches" (in its original format) was more widely distributed and handed under the table at conventions, through backchannel game listings, and in more google searches than I ever cared to admit. More than all my other games COMBINED. Because it did ONE very, very, VERY important thing - It knew its target audience. It respected them. It didn't treat them as idiotic sheep and try to brow-beat them into submission to buy/convert/believe/do whatever it was selling/prostelytising/saying/commanding. Because people know when they're being fed something they don't want, and despite my reservations at the time, people wanted THAT game.

Charbile wrote:
Look at it this way: last I checked, where he posted it on FA, it had more than 180 comments. This is for an ohr game. 180 comments on any slime salad thread would be crazy, and this is in the span of like four days too. That's hard to beat.


Know your audience. Respect your audience.

Charbile wrote:
The game itself is drawn like it's real porn. The graphics are amazing, if disturbing to some people--but this is porn! Honest and true. And this one aspect does matter in these kind of games.


The graphics ARE porn. That was the point of the contest from what I understood. Surprised

Quote:
Eggie> Heh, beating Cockbile gave me a set of legwarmers.
Eggie> That's comical.
Charbile> >:|


Fox in Socks. You cannot unread that. Devil

For the sake of self interest I agree with your ranking on the understanding that the cumulative rankings of all three judges should result in my getting the coupons. Or that comic, if JSH happens to judge it in second or first place. Which would pretty much blow my mind, since historically he's had a rather low opinion of my work in the past (although he has said it was partially to push me to do better, and if Vikings was any indication I think he was right).

I agree with both of you that Thrust porn should receive the grade it does, though it's really delayed gratification. And also that No Eat should be second, primarily because it does actually cater to a particular audience who are BIG into that sort of thing. Your mileage on Transylvania Girls may vary, but it's a brilliant game in concept and would be amazing to see whatever happens to it should its creators decide to clean it up a bit for a more family friendly audience.
To friends long gone, and those I've yet to meet - thank you.
Liquid Metal Slime
Send private message
 
 PostFri Nov 04, 2011 2:27 pm
Send private message Reply with quote
I still need to play more of the games (Though my ranking is pretty set in stone barring some wild change at this point). Excuse my slowness.

I'm having a ton of trouble with running RMSephy's, but doing the math even if I thought it was #1 it wouldn't break 4th place so I'm not too concerned.
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com
Liquid Metal Slime
Send private message
 
 PostFri Nov 04, 2011 4:37 pm
Send private message Reply with quote
Scratch that, played some more and I'm pretty satisfied with what I want to say now.

I'll preface by saying I'm actually quite impressed with the quality of the three games I could get to work. They all appear to have required real effort to create, which is more than I would have predicted. Despite this being a low-brow contest, I feel like the people involved took it seriously and it wasn't a total waste of time. In fact, it produced one of my favorite OHR games to date so I can't say that at all.

#4. Thrust Porn by RMSephy
This was an incredible epic. I really loved the puzzle element involved. The search for the missing DLL took me across the seas of the internet, and when it had been found, I began the quest to figure out where to place it and activate the holy altar of game-starting. Alas, no System32s or their ilk proved to be a success, and I failed in my mission. What wonders could have awaited me in this treasure trove? The world will never know.

Unfortunately, despite the journey being fantastic I felt I left it rather unsatisfied. There was nothing I couldn't find on my computer already. You should have lowered the difficulty for us plebs.

#3. NO EAT by Nathan Karr
I'll be honest, when I started this up I was tempted to at least give it the #2 score because it is quite clearly Nathan's best game to date. Unfortunately, I ended up being disappointed by its brevity. Granted I found the subject matter disgusting, but my aim is to score these as objectively as possible--this game needs more meat to it. It was off to a good start, introducing the great bottle mechanic and having an interesting setting. So much could have been done, but none of the battles warranted the gameplay mechanics besides the Vampire and the game ended before we really got to explore.

I want to bring up the Vampire again because quite honestly it was one of the better battle designs I've seen in an OHR game, and I think Nathan did an excellent job. It was actually quite funny, and was challenging in a good way. Nathan, make every boss (hell, make every battle) this entertaining and you will make a fabulous game some day. This should be better, and I know you can make it better.

#2 RAEP DUNGEON by Fenrir
While I am trying to be as objective as possible, it comes down to a couple of things here. First, I'm not in to the furry stuff, so unlike Charbile the porn aspect of this game did nothing for me and was more of a distraction than it needed to be. Obviously that doesn't go for everyone, so I'm not holding that against the game too much. The title of the game also put me off as rape fantasy is one of the few porn genres that honestly offends me, but as far as I saw in this there wasn't that much to be seen.

The other reason I can't give this game the edge is... well, it's not doing anything unique. It's not innovative or clever, and again, this might not count for everyone but it certainly did for me. This game is (for better or worse) a Vikings-style RPG with wolf boobies in it. If that's what you want to play, you'll probably like it, and I'll give it the #2 score for feeling more like a complete experience than NO EAT. After a couple of rounds of getting partway through this game, I didn't feel a reason to replay it. Nothing drew me in. And that transitions us straight in to...

#1. Transylvania Girls by Giz and SDHawk
The most unprecedented title in the contest. In my opinion, the best game BOTH authors have produced to this point. Transylvania Girls is one of the best dating sims I have ever played, and I've played my weight in them. The game takes itself seriously enough for you to want to see it through, but in enough jest to be wildly entertaining. The graphics, while not technically the best, are fitting for the absurd premise and the music complements them perfectly in spite of breaking contest rules.

This game feels like it has a very tight design--the choices are limited to what's necessary, and the requirement of the four Dracula parts adds an element of danger to the game not normally present in this genre. You have to use your time wisely; even with the secret you might just end up cutting it close.

I always feel it's the mark of a great game when I find gigantic flaws that I wish were addressed but still loved the game to try and complete it all the way. The ending of this game needs some work; it's too abrupt and not satisfying to the player (I don't mean the h-scenes, mind, which are ingeniously only a footnote on the way to the actual goal of the game) . The game also has a swingy random element that makes attempting to 100% it impossible and frustrating. I wish there was a way to fully explore the game without relying on luck. Again, though, these flaws didn't distract me from loving what is easily one of the top 10 OHR games in my eyes.


Argue away. Remember:
Code:

- All game creators MUST quote a judge's writings and say they approve of the rankings for three out of four games. In short, they must judge the judging.


This means Fenrir, RMSephy, Nathan Karr, SDHawk, and The Giz must all agree with all judgments before the contest can end.
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com
Metal Slime
Send private message
 
 PostFri Nov 04, 2011 5:27 pm
Send private message Reply with quote
Does it not work if you put the DLL in the same directory as the game?
Liquid Metal King Slime
Send private message
 
 PostFri Nov 04, 2011 5:31 pm
Send private message Reply with quote
If you are ever distributing a game that requires .dll files, Dependency Walker is a great tool. You load an exe file into it, and it will tell you every .dll file that it uses. Naturally you ignore that standard Windows ones, but all the rest you can gather up and include with your game.
Metal Slime
Send private message
Re: The Say It Ain't So Contest, Judging Begins 
 PostFri Nov 04, 2011 5:31 pm
Send private message Reply with quote
SDHawk wrote:
Personally I'd like to see the contest include erotica since it's not every day that explicit sexual content is encouraged around here


I wouldn't call Transylvania Girls good erotica either. To make sure you understand me: reading over what I wrote, using the term 'fetish' wasn't the best choice of words, but what I was getting at was 'target audience'. NO EAT has an audience in mind, so does Transylvania, but not one that's going to play and enjoy it because it's erotica or porn. Fetish here is meant as the aspect people could find erotic.

If you want to go the erotica route, you'll need to up the graphical quality, and the writing too. If the game had graphics on the level of, or higher than Raep Dungeon, this would be a different story. I've grown tired of ohr battles; if it wasn't for your dating sim I would have reached 100 boredom.

And if there's any lesson to be learned, it's "around here" doesn't amount to much unless you only want to make games for other ohr game makers. Screw them! THIS IS WAR

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:
Again, the gameplay was most certainly not basic, although it does indeed use the default OHR battle setup, though only because it's the most familiar part of the engine to stand out to those who're familiar with it


By basic rpg mechanics, I'm sure this is meant: attack, use items, have a few specials, that kind of stuff. That's the minimum expectations. We could include multi-character parties too, which Raep Dungeon didn't have. There's nothing wrong with basic rpg gameplay, especially to those who aren't familiar with it.

The expectations here are much higher. But I wouldn't say the general public doesn't care. They're pretty forgiving so long as a game is playable, (and if it has enhanced graphical features.) Just how ohr users will be more forgiving of Transylvania's graphics due to it's outstanding scripting and play.

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:
Because it did ONE very, very, VERY important thing - It knew its target audience. It respected them. It didn't treat them as idiotic sheep and try to brow-beat them into submission to buy/convert/believe/do whatever it was selling/prostelytising/saying/commanding.


If this were true, then why doesn't Vikings have this? Wandering Hamster? When I played BLB, it did feel a bit silly and demeaning, but it did have 'ONE very, very VERY important thing'. Wink wink.

I mean, how to say this... The framework of Raep Dungeon's story involves characters you simply expect the audience to already be familiar with or to not really care beyond sexual implications. Like some before-unmentioned kid popping up in NO EAT at the end.

I don't want to seem angry critical here, only curious. Just find your choice of words odd, like there's some subtext I'm missing. What game tries to brow-beat anyone into submission? So far as idiotic sheep go, you do give the vibe by being so surprised that people wanted THAT game like you say, that 'oh my, I draw the porn and people seem to like it! those weird and depraved people' etc etc. Hurr
Liquid Metal Slime
Send private message
 
 PostFri Nov 04, 2011 5:34 pm
Send private message Reply with quote
RMSephy wrote:
Does it not work if you put the DLL in the same directory as the game?


Nope
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com
Metal Slime
Send private message
 
 PostFri Nov 04, 2011 9:18 pm
Send private message Reply with quote
JSH357 wrote:
I'll preface by saying I'm actually quite impressed with the quality of the three games I could get to work. They all appear to have required real effort to create, which is more than I would have predicted. Despite this being a low-brow contest, I feel like the people involved took it seriously and it wasn't a total waste of time. In fact, it produced one of my favorite OHR games to date so I can't say that at all.


I think the fact that we took this as more of a "Make a game with a sexy element" contest than a "make a sex game" contest. All the entries have their solid points.

JSH357 wrote:
I really loved the puzzle element involved. The search for the missing DLL took me across the seas of the internet, and when it had been found, I began the quest to figure out where to place it and activate the holy altar of game-starting. Alas, no System32s or their ilk proved to be a success, and I failed in my mission. What wonders could have awaited me in this treasure trove? The world will never know.


The thought has occurred to me that this alone is rather like the act of sex itself from a hopeless virgin's perspective. You've got no clue how it works until you figure out that something's not there, so you have to go on a wild search to find it. Once you do of course, you've still got no clue where exactly to stick it, and you sort of just fumble around until you manage to put it in the right place. Or more often then not, the wrong way, and you'll usually end up with a slap across the face and your hopes of getting to play are disappointingly over before you ever really began. If this was the intended purpose, then RMSephy is a GENIUS. Kamina

JSH357 wrote:
I'll be honest, when I started this up I was tempted to at least give it the #2 score because it is quite clearly Nathan's best game to date. Unfortunately, I ended up being disappointed by its brevity. Granted I found the subject matter disgusting, but my aim is to score these as objectively as possible--this game needs more meat to it. It was off to a good start, introducing the great bottle mechanic and having an interesting setting. So much could have been done, but none of the battles warranted the gameplay mechanics besides the Vampire and the game ended before we really got to explore.

Nathan, make every boss (hell, make every battle) this entertaining and you will make a fabulous game some day. This should be better, and I know you can make it better.


In all fairness I was hoping that he'd give the game a revamp, drop out the naughty elements and really gloss up some of the battles. And then I heard he was. This really is Karr's best game to date, and it tries a lot of things that very few OHR RPGs do. The bottles being the main selling point, and the choice of weapon of course, but then again Zelda's been messing with the bottle mechanic for years, and Kingdom Hearts outright tells you "your choice of weapon at the start changes the whole game's progression". I don't think I've seen a game pull BOTH at the same time, but given the game's brevity, it works out for the best.

Yes, it's a dungeon crawler at heart, but really it felt less like a dungeon and more like a scenic track through a giant green wolf's digestive tract. I'm not fond of the ending, but it's pretty close to what I would have thought it would be.

But actually, what this game REALLY reminded me was that one sequence in SaGa 2 where you have to shrink down to microscopic size to remove the pieces of Magi from Ki's body before she dies. This game really plays up one part of that experience, but there's so much MORE it could have brought it, Ie: multiple routes throughout the body. What if it turns out that Aine smoked a cigarette, and you have to work your way through the lungs to defeat a tar monster? Or perhaps she found a bottle of liquor, and not knowing what it was, drank the whole thing - why then you'd have to make a journey into the liver to help clean it out before she develops cirrhosis.

This game excites me more than a few others because of its possibilities.

JSH357 wrote:
While I am trying to be as objective as possible, it comes down to a couple of things here. First, I'm not in to the furry stuff, so unlike Charbile the porn aspect of this game did nothing for me and was more of a distraction than it needed to be. Obviously that doesn't go for everyone, so I'm not holding that against the game too much.


Point taken. At least I'm not trying to beat you over the head for not liking it like a Brony and My Little Pony.

JSH357 wrote:
This game is (for better or worse) a Vikings-style RPG with wolf boobies in it. If that's what you want to play, you'll probably like it, and I'll give it the #2 score for feeling more like a complete experience than NO EAT.


No complaints here, and I admit I was being a little facetious with my prior statements. That's probably not the right word. My point is, I've come to feel as though the core gameplay aspects of the OHR are overlooked, and if a game doesn't take some radical moves to depart from that core gameplay, then it's automatically judged as being "basic". It doesn't matter if someone uses the default OHR battle mechanics, so long as they pull them off well or at least doesn't feel restrictive.. I don't want to be fighting the last boss of a game when my best healing item only does 100 or so HP recovery, and he hits for well over four times that amount (Triangle 5, I'm looking at you).

Probably the ONE mechanic I could do to make the game feel radically different than it does now would be to have the character actually grow according to whatever abilities the player used in battle, also like SaGa or Final Fantasy II. At that point it would feel more like a player was actually having more of an impact on the game, and were being rewarded for their own play-style. Again, this doesn't work for every game - but I think it would work here.

As for this game being Vikings with Wolf breasts, I'll probably pitch that as a selling point actually.

JSH357 wrote:
After a couple of rounds of getting partway through this game, I didn't feel a reason to replay it. Nothing drew me in.


The game DOES need more secrets, and it needs to reward exploration and experimentation more. But then again, I've said this was always intended to be a game that was directed at a particular audience - who enjoyed it.

JSH357 wrote:
The most unprecedented title in the contest. In my opinion, the best game BOTH authors have produced to this point. Transylvania Girls is one of the best dating sims I have ever played, and I've played my weight in them. The game takes itself seriously enough for you to want to see it through, but in enough jest to be wildly entertaining. The graphics, while not technically the best, are fitting for the absurd premise and the music complements them perfectly in spite of breaking contest rules.


This really is their best game yet. I actually managed to convince my roommate to play this, just because it feels so much like a professionally made game. I've got no beef with it, although that shopkeeper guy is just one ugly mug.

Charbile wrote:
And if there's any lesson to be learned, it's "around here" doesn't amount to much unless you only want to make games for other ohr game makers. Screw them! THIS IS WAR


I think this has been the general theme running for about 2-3 years now. OHR game makers aren't making games FOR the community so much anymore, as they're making games that the community just so happens to play. As a result we've seen some pretty unusual games recently that try some very unusual things. But with exception of perhaps Vikings, not one of them is made with the premise that the game itself is made for US.

Charbile wrote:
By basic rpg mechanics, I'm sure this is meant: attack, use items, have a few specials, that kind of stuff. That's the minimum expectations. We could include multi-character parties too, which Raep Dungeon didn't have. There's nothing wrong with basic rpg gameplay, especially to those who aren't familiar with it.


This was indeed my basic point. I just come to feel like the community's come to look at games that don't take a radical departure from the engine's "standard package" of features as being somehow inferior. The minimum bar of expectations seems to NOW be: custom ability acquisition, dynamic normal encounters that play more like puzzles, a run key, sound effects for everything, a scripted mini-game, and original music and graphics on the level of Wandering Hamster's. Compared to, say, 5 years ago (which isn't that long really), any normal OHR game that did ONE of these things would automatically be praised as being ahead of its time.

Charbile wrote:
I mean, how to say this... The framework of Raep Dungeon's story involves characters you simply expect the audience to already be familiar with or to not really care beyond sexual implications. Like some before-unmentioned kid popping up in NO EAT at the end.


This really is the game's biggest flaw in my opinion. I've resolved to fix this by giving a short prologue showing the main character going about her day with her friends and neighbors, and moreso showing the story of WHY the game starts in the first place. Again, nobody reads Readmes or Manuals anymore, despite the wealth of both useful and trivial information in them.

__________________________________________

Since I have to agree with the ranked order of at least 3 of the games, here they are:

4 - Thrust Porn
? - Hmm...
! - No Eat
? - Hmm...
1 - Transylvania Girls
To friends long gone, and those I've yet to meet - thank you.
Metal Slime
Send private message
Re: The Say It Ain't So Contest, Judging Begins 
 PostFri Nov 04, 2011 10:56 pm
Send private message Reply with quote
charbile wrote:

I wouldn't call Transylvania Girls good erotica either. To make sure you understand me: reading over what I wrote, using the term 'fetish' wasn't the best choice of words, but what I was getting at was 'target audience'. NO EAT has an audience in mind, so does Transylvania, but not one that's going to play and enjoy it because it's erotica or porn. Fetish here is meant as the aspect people could find erotic.


I don't think erotica (despite the word itself!) necessarily means that it's erotic, simply that it contains human anatomy/sexuality with goals other than just provoking an arousing response. I don't want to sit here and play dictionary all day, I just mean that the sexual elements are pretty relevant to what makes the game work even though they aren't arousing. There's probably a better word for what I mean.

You're spot-on with the target audience thing though, and you said out the gate that's what you were measuring on.
Liquid Metal Slime
Send private message
 
 PostSat Nov 05, 2011 6:17 pm
Send private message Reply with quote
charbile wrote:
4th place: Thrust Porn
The game itself would have worked better as an online flash game or the like. The concept wasn't that off, really.

All in all, with some more design, it could be made into a fun barstool arcade kind of 'reveal the hidden picture' game.

Taking your word for it based on the fact that I can't get it to run. Upheld.

charbile wrote:
3rd place: Transylvania Girls
The writing wasn't bad at all, it had me smiling. The whole game did from start to end, (bar the tedious nature of waiting through the in-between animations, which were a lot of fun, don't get me wrong.)

My only problem with this game just happens to be the one thing I'm looking for in a Pohrn game.

Maybe it's asking too much, or setting the standard too high, but so far as an ohr game: this is amazing. But as a pohrn game? It has charm, a lot of it, but the graphics and porn... I can't rate this higher than the next two because of it.

Critique and placement upheld.

charbile wrote:
2nd place: NO EAT
I found the concept pretty interesting from the get go. While not a fan of vore, but not pretending like it's satan's dong either, the idea of the dungeon being inside some girl, fighting things that she has swallowed seemed very curious. Having played his previous work, I was doubtful that he would be able to pull it off. And my doubt turned out to be unfounded: this game is a fun ride, but with a questionable ending.

It's the battles that grate on me in Nathan's work....But only 2 strikes is a huge improvement.

Thanks, I do need to think of something to make that final boss different with.

charbile wrote:
The graphics aren't the best, but they're fun and have a lot of personality, especially Aine's. I got a kick out of her expressions.

Which leaves us with the ending...It was presented in good humor, so I can't feign disgust.

charbile wrote:
While Translyvania is a much more technically impressive game, NO EAT feels like it's trying to appeal to a fetish.

charbile wrote:
...Like some before-unmentioned kid popping up in NO EAT at the end.

Okay, so maybe I should have foreshadowed that they have children better so that version of the ending wouldn't seem like it came right out of the blue. I figured the idea might come to mind when Tendo mentions that they'd been doing this for years, and the item you need to unlock this version of the ending being a wedding ring. It's not like I'd be expecting their daughter to be familiar from people watching me on FA, either, since this game is the first place she (or any of their children) appear. It does take place five years in the future of my other works with these characters.

But yes, I agree with your critiques and don't defy your placement.
Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:
In all fairness I was hoping that he'd give the game a revamp, drop out the naughty elements and really gloss up some of the battles. And then I heard he was.

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:
The bottles being the main selling point, and the choice of weapon of course, but then again Zelda's been messing with the bottle mechanic for years, and Kingdom Hearts outright tells you "your choice of weapon at the start changes the whole game's progression". I don't think I've seen a game pull BOTH at the same time, but given the game's brevity, it works out for the best.

I was going to do something similar with the game working differently based on what character was chosen as "prey", but I was persuaded to do something better.
Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:
But actually, what this game REALLY reminded me was that one sequence in SaGa 2 where you have to shrink down to microscopic size to remove the pieces of Magi from Ki's body before she dies. This game really plays up one part of that experience, but there's so much MORE it could have brought it, Ie: multiple routes throughout the body.

I read a walkthrough of that in an old issue of Nintendo Power. It's probably inspired a few things I've made over the years. To a lesser extent, similar situations in a game I actually played: in Breath of Fire II, you go inside a whale and destroy a foreign object causing it pain and keeping it asleep; later, you go inside a fat woman's heart to kill her fat.

charbile wrote:
1st place: RAEP Dungeon
The game itself is drawn like it's real porn.

Placement upheld. Next witness.

JSH357 wrote:
#4. Thrust Porn by RMSephy
This was an incredible epic. I really loved the puzzle element involved. The search for the missing DLL took me across the seas of the internet, and when it had been found, I began the quest to figure out where to place it and activate the holy altar of game-starting.

Remove the stuff about actually trying to find the file, and this mirrors my experience. Upheld.

JSH357 wrote:
#3. NO EAT by Nathan Karr
I'll be honest, when I started this up I was tempted to at least give it the #2 score because it is quite clearly Nathan's best game to date. Unfortunately, I ended up being disappointed by its brevity.

JSH357 wrote:
Despite this being a low-brow contest, I feel like the people involved took it seriously and it wasn't a total waste of time.

This game is what happens when I see a contest thread as a joke and seriously make a game to play along. I figured the signup thread was trolling/joking and decided to feign interest; then, when the thread didn't get locked, I knew I had to make the game anyway. So I made the kind of game I've always wanted, and gave it the kind of ending I always wanted to see at least once, but couldn't seem to find any vore artists who did end their stories that way.

I made it more for comedy than for porn - I just relied on the fact that a theme which I find amusing others can find arousing, and the pictures of dog-person boobs, to put this game in the contest anyway.

JSH357 wrote:
I want to bring up the Vampire again because quite honestly it was one of the better battle designs I've seen in an OHR game, and I think Nathan did an excellent job.

All it is is an enemy who casts your own debuff back at you with half power and spawns minions when weak/alone. I don't understand how this is impressive, but I guess it was fun or something Confused

I'm not disagreeing with any placements so far. Maybe I just want the judging to end quickly, but I haven't seen a reason to disagree with any of the judges placing my game lower or higher than Fenrir's or Giz/Hawk's.

JSH357 wrote:
#2 RAEP DUNGEON by Fenrir
The other reason I can't give this game the edge is... well, it's not doing anything unique. It's not innovative or clever, and again, this might not count for everyone but it certainly did for me. This game is (for better or worse) a Vikings-style RPG with wolf boobies in it.

JSH357 wrote:
...and I'll give it the #2 score for feeling more like a complete experience than NO EAT.

At long last, something to disagree with! How can this feel more complete when
JSH357 wrote:
After a couple of rounds of getting partway through this game, I didn't feel a reason to replay it.

And my game actually has an ending? Is a "feeling" of completeness more important than actually being complete? And if so, what on Earth gives this game a feeling of completeness other than its ever-so-shiny graphics?

Until you can satisfy me that either you're placing this higher than No Eat based on its graphics, or that its balance/map design/whatever somehow comes across as more professional, I'm going to have to disagree with this placement.

JSH357 wrote:
#1. Transylvania Girls by Giz and SDHawk
The graphics, while not technically the best, are fitting for the absurd premise and the music complements them perfectly in spite of breaking contest rules.

Yeah, me and Sephy followed the letter of the rules and look where it got us. Well, I can't contest that everyone else was following the spirit of the rules better than I was.
JSH357 wrote:
I always feel it's the mark of a great game when I find gigantic flaws that I wish were addressed but still loved the game to try and complete it all the way.

Well, you clearly love this game, whereas I couldn't avoid death from boredom. I'll agree with your placement of this game.
In the past, I apologized when I was in the right because I was afraid of peer pressure. For this, I apologize.

I must be cruel, but to be kind; that bad may begin, and worse be left behind.
-Prince Hamlet of Denmark
Liquid Metal Slime
Send private message
 
 PostSat Nov 05, 2011 6:39 pm
Send private message Reply with quote
The main reason I felt Rape Dungeon was more complete was that NO EAT used mspaint-style graphics and ripped backdrops in addition to having very slipshod battle balance; it's more like a sketch than a painting, sort of. I understand that it actually has an ending and Fenrir's game may not (Not sure) but Fenrir's game definitely has more content in it, more finely tuned maps and battles, etc. I had a hard time picking between the two and could be convinced to change their order with... the correct bribery.

Also, Nathan is a sliming slime slime.
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com
Liquid Metal Slime
Send private message
 
 PostSat Nov 05, 2011 7:25 pm
Send private message Reply with quote
JSH357 wrote:
Also, Nathan is a sliming slime slime.

Okay, now I'm satisfied.
In the past, I apologized when I was in the right because I was afraid of peer pressure. For this, I apologize.

I must be cruel, but to be kind; that bad may begin, and worse be left behind.
-Prince Hamlet of Denmark
Slime Knight
Send private message
 
 PostSat Nov 05, 2011 8:01 pm
Send private message Reply with quote
Haha, I didn't participate in the contest and feel free to take the post down- just wanted to say I'm glad you mentioned the BoF2 stuff Nathan! I gotta say I can't find many people who've played that game unfortunately and yea, the killing Fat inside the Fat Queen was hilarious haha!
You can't fix stupidity.
Metal Slime
Send private message
 
 PostSun Nov 06, 2011 1:15 am
Send private message Reply with quote
Spoonweaver wrote:
This game didn't really have a lot to offer. Simple games can be amazing and even become some of the most popular online games ever. But the key to making a simple game great is making the small amount of things you have going on perfect. This was not the case here. The collision detection was terrible, the controls were laggy and the overall goal was questionable.


An accurate description.

Spoonweaver wrote:
As disturbing as some of the enemies and overall plot might have been, I still would have liked to see more. There's an overabundance of unfinished games in the OHR community and I don't plan to reward someone for adding another.
The gameplay was very basic in this game.


It's interesting to see the two different points of which of these games were more complete. They're both accurate in their own way, but what it boils down to is that us bitter old ohrers can't appreciate vanilla rpg battles anymore. I concur.

Spoonweaver wrote:
No Eat is perhaps the best game ever made by the developer Nathan Karr.


Exactly.

Spoonweaver wrote:
If this game had better graphics I think it could easily become one of the best dating sims ever. Overall, I had fun playing this game and it actually amazed me that someone made something like this on the OHR.


I'm glad you enjoyed it. The graphic observations hurt a little bit since Gizmog1 has grown so much over the years as an artist, but from an objective perspective they're correct.

----------------------------

Charbile wrote:
The game itself would have worked better as an online flash game or the like.


Yup. Though it's understandable that he's starting small with his programming endeavors, it just doesn't make much sense for the audience. Plus, as you said, the game still needs something more.

Charbile wrote:
My only problem with this game just happens to be the one thing I'm looking for in a Pohrn game.


Already discussed this plenty. I think the distinctions between arousal and using enough sex to be X-rated (but not arousing) are interesting. I'll uphold this judgment since it makes sense with the measurement Charb is using.

Charbile wrote:
It's the battles that grate on me in Nathan's work. The first battle in this one gives a hint that nothing's changed, since it's a drawn-out spacebar holding exercise, but after that, it's... well, not too bad. The vampire fight was lively, the hidden fight was neat, and the final one... not so much. But only 2 strikes is a huge improvement.


Yep.

Charbile wrote:
The game itself is drawn like it's real porn. The graphics are amazing, if disturbing to some people--but this is porn! Honest and true. And this one aspect does matter in these kind of games. Other than that, it's fairly standard ohr fare, which doesn't mean it's bad. If you liked Vikings and thought it needed nudity, this is the game for you.


Yup. There are quite a few "real" porn rpgs very much like this game (actually, this game probably out does many of those porn RPGs since they usually have pretty poor battle systems and no map design).

I'd like to take this moment to discuss the porn design aspect of these games. These games have some really weird design choices and RD carries on a many of them. First of those is why the heck am I getting rewarded for losing with pornographic images? It makes sense from a contextual point of view, but none from a pornographic design position. (You could argue RE4's comedic death animations are a similar thing or whatnot but I still uphold that I don't like rewarding a player for failure because it makes good players feel like they're missing something and makes them starting committing suicide and really just messes up game flow)

Another question is when the heck would anyone, ahem, use the images for their intended purpose? The battle system is real time and moves pretty fast. I guess you can operate the OHR one-handed, but there's generally no foreplay in this thing or any type of pornographic progression (outside of the intro, I suppose). Everyone is just naked.

I think one of the delights of porn games is that they can offer their players pornographic empowerment, and that's not really on display here (or most porn RPGs, really). 'Course lot of the stuff I'm discussing here wouldn't even make sense in the context of your game's world so don't take it too seriously. Just something to think about.

But anyway Charbile is right, this thing definitely feels the most like a legit porn game. It also exhibits most of the standard problems of the porn RPG not really considering the interaction of the porn and the viewer. But if 200+ people are fine with it, I'm hardly in a position to argue.

----------------------------

jsh357 wrote:
Unfortunately, despite the journey being fantastic I felt I left it rather unsatisfied. There was nothing I couldn't find on my computer already. You should have lowered the difficulty for us plebs.


Yeah come on sephy, porn games are supposed to be easy.

jsh357 wrote:
I'll be honest, when I started this up I was tempted to at least give it the #2 score because it is quite clearly Nathan's best game to date. Unfortunately, I ended up being disappointed by its brevity.


Yep.

jsh357 wrote:
While I am trying to be as objective as possible, it comes down to a couple of things here. First, I'm not in to the furry stuff, so unlike Charbile the porn aspect of this game did nothing for me and was more of a distraction than it needed to be.


This is very much true of this and karr's entries. It was a little disappointing to see a porn contest where all of the porn was outside my scope, but on the plus side the entries at least had some gameplay offerings outside of the porn to appreciate.

jsh357 wrote:
I always feel it's the mark of a great game when I find gigantic flaws that I wish were addressed but still loved the game to try and complete it all the way. The ending of this game needs some work; it's too abrupt and not satisfying to the player (I don't mean the h-scenes, mind, which are ingeniously only a footnote on the way to the actual goal of the game) . The game also has a swingy random element that makes attempting to 100% it impossible and frustrating. I wish there was a way to fully explore the game without relying on luck. Again, though, these flaws didn't distract me from loving what is easily one of the top 10 OHR games in my eyes.


I agree that the endings suffered the most for our crunch time (when you're that close to the finish...). I really wanted to add a new game+ with selectable virginities after the first time you beat it, but ran out of stamina for it.

But anyway, I'm happy our target audience enjoyed the game.
Metal King Slime
Send private message
 
 PostSun Nov 06, 2011 11:31 am
Send private message Reply with quote
JSH357 wrote:

#4. Thrust Porn by RMSephy
This was an incredible epic. I really loved the puzzle element involved.

Charbile wrote:
Worth a kudos given RMSephy's use of what appears to be a pure-programmed attempt. I've always enjoyed checking out his prototypes, and I hope one day he makes good on one.

I had no trouble getting this game to work, so JSH must be bad at computers. I do agree with the placements sadly, but this is an important lesson to all aspiring programmers:

If you're going to make a tech demo, make a pornographic tech demo. "Hello, world"? More like "Hello, titties"!


JSH357 wrote:
I think Nathan did an excellent job.

Charbile wrote:
NO EAT feels like it's trying to appeal to a fetish. I can quite literally see how this could be someone's dream game


Agreed on both accounts and with placement.


#2 RAEP DUNGEON by Fenrir
JSH357 wrote:
I am trying to... come... in to... Charbile. ..this game.. was more of a distraction than it needed to be.


Charbible wrote:
Look at it this way: last I checked, where he posted it on FA, it had more than 180 comments. This is for an ohr game. 180 comments on any slime salad thread would be crazy, and this is in the span of like four days too. That's hard to beat.


Eggie wrote:
Heh, beating Cockbile gave me a set of legwarmers. That's comical.


That is comical. And I agree with the placements too.

Charbile wrote:
3rd place: Transylvania Girls

JSH357 wrote:
You have to use your time wisely; even with the secret you might just end up cutting it close.


We actually got really lucky with this. I originally planned for the game to take place in 62 "Day/Night" turns from October 1st to 31st, and somehow Hawk turned that into boredom which became a defining characteristic of the hero and mechanic of the game itself.

The secret is my favorite part of the game and it was cool to see it develop from a goofy reference to an old webcomic into an advanced strategy/cheat code.

JSH357 wrote:
The game also has a swingy random element that makes attempting to 100% it impossible and frustrating.


This turned out to be a bigger problem in the released version than it was in testing. One of the last bugs we found, after we both had played through the game about a million times in every possible configuration, was one where the part of the code that was supposed to decide whether or not a girl was a virgin wasn't triggering, meaning virginity rates were much higher than we had intended, and sometimes all three ladies would be virginal. After we fixed it, I guess we didn't do enough testing to make sure that it was still okay. I suppose it's a good sign that people care enough to want to see all the possible outcomes.

Charbile wrote:
But the bottom line is: who can fap to this? Besides JSH, I mean.

SDHawk wrote:
I'm happy our target audience enjoyed the game.

The target audience meaning JSH.

Agreed with both of you, you both had valid reasons.


I realize it's a little weird to agree with votes that are so totally different, but I looked at it like a spectrum.

I didn't see any reason for Sephy's game to be higher than 4th. It was a good game, the porn was hot, but it was one picture and the gameplay element felt phoned in.

I didn't really know where Transylvania Girls should fit in. I felt it was a strong game, but I had the same doubts Charbile did about fappability. I decided that so long as the judges had good reasons I'd agree with any position they put us in and as it turned out they were very kind.

No Eat and Raep Dung were really hard to pick. I felt like No Eat did a better job of portraying its vore fetish than Raep did for its mind-control/dominance thing, but Fenrir is the best artist in the OHR, and is in his furry, naked element. It was all little edges here and there, and I decided that was how I'd make the judges call it. If No Eat was #1, Raep Dung had better be #2 and vice versa. Nothing should come between them.

I think this has been the best OHR contest in a long time, 5 star turnout across the board. Hawk and JSH may've started this thing as a troll, but I feel like it really showed off just how versatile the OHR is and hopefully will serve as a reminder to everyone not to shy away from mature themes, when appropriate. The OHR can handle 'em.


PS:Weird to think how many of us are moving on to the Collab Contest after this. Wouldn't it be something if we all made porn games again?
Display posts from previous:
Page «  1, 2, 3, 4  »