Review: Super Walrus Chef: War Of The Food

Write and read reviews of games that have been uploaded to Slime Salad.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Uncommon
Metal Slime

Review: Super Walrus Chef: War Of The Food

Post by Uncommon »

PHC, has, in the space of two months, totally changed the image of older game, <i>Walthro</i>, with the release of its parody/sequel, <i>Walthrus: Return of the Crystals</i>. One of the biggest changes was in Super Walrus Man, the altruistic superhero from the first game, who made his re-emergence in homicidal maniac who SPOKE IN ALL CAPS, measured a person's worth by how many people they had murdered, and killed about half of the characters.

Now, Super Walrus Man has returned for his own chance at the spotlight, and the bloodfest shall begin...

This, however, is a cooking game.

It's been five years since <i>Walthrus: Return of the Crystals</i>. Super Walrus Man has lost all of his money to drugs and cheap hookers, and has gone to Ciadna City to escape the debt collectors. He finds himself in a low rent housing complex run by his grandfather, the great and mighty Earl, who permits him to stay at very pricey condemned shack. In order to pay his rather high rent and make enough money to take his revenge on his debtors, Super Walrus Man registers for the War of the Food Tournament, an Iron Chef-esque cooking contest.

One thing to say about this game is that the dialogue is great. Very, very funny. Most of the cameos won't be anything like how you know the characters, but they're still great. Cookie Monster came off as a little piratey and rather scary, but very great. I enjoyed most of the judges' info sheets, especially Grimace's ("An immortal from the legendary land of Sweden. His power is immeasurable, and his motivations are unknown") and Vader's ("Years of drug abuse and failed attempts to rekindle his most famous series of films has left him a shadow of a man"), but I certainly didn't like Spider-Man's. It made him look like a huge wuss (like Superman, or some other not-half-as-cool superhero)...

The gameplay in <i>Super Walrus Chef</i> mostly revolves around the War of the Food . But, when you're not doing that, you also have the option to maintain your house and acquire "bling". This certainly made the game for me. I mean, sure, the War of the Fod's great and all, but the game wouldn't be half as fun if that's all you did. So, go on, become the king of bling. Get Jesus to fix up your house. Get some appliances from the Goomba. You know you want to.

The War of the Food itself is a very nicely plotscripted game. Sure, it's really just a few on-keypress menus, but it is pretty fun. There are 17 judges (including the Invisible one), all with their own biases toward certain foods and certain contestants. You'll get three judges per match. Your job is to work their biases to lean them toward you. You do this by choosing three ingredients to make your dish out of. If the judges like that dish, you'll get more points than your opponent, and, in a normal match (not against the MYSTERY COOK MASTER), $225 (after rent). If not, your opponent will win, and you'll only get $40.

Your opponents are:
Cookie Monster ("This is making me hungry. You won't like me when I'm hungry.")
Mustard ("Go to home.")
Gollum ("You must train hard to defeat my dragon punch. Also, Yoga Flame? Yes.")
Penguingo ("Your a member of Grimace's Great Group of Friends, aren't you?")
Evil Kermit ("WORMS.")

Once you have beaten each of them, you will be able to challenge the MYSTERY COOK MASTER for the championship title and the grand prize of $100,000.

The graphics in this game are the best <i>Walthros</i> has ever had. That really isn't saying too much, especially since <i>ROTC</i>'s graphics were a joke...literally. The graphics to this game are really more on par with <i>Gihern</i>, though, in my opinion, a little better (Grimace isn't pink anymore!). One thing that did bug me was how big Super Walrus Man's back was in his right and left walkabouts. It was just <i>huge</i>, man, especially next to his comparatively small head. If you choose Super Walrus FUNK, of course, that fabulous afro will cancel it out and make him look generally funky.

Most of the walkabouts use a heavy gradient, but didn't look incredibly terrible with it. I was particularly impressed by the texture on the house, but the floors were a little griddy. Also, the grass, while not airbrushed (wee!), looked a bit weird. I'm thinking it's the darkest color that just made it look a little off.

Between the great dialogue, the tournament, and the acquisition of bling, <i>Super Walrus Chef</i> is very good at keeping the player involved, and not boring them too quickly. Very nice.

<i>Super Walrus Chef</i> was very enjoyable. The multiple endings, the great jokes, especially the battle introductions. All of it made this game a very enjoyable experience. The ability to choose the skins was great, too. Also, the importance of taking notes is something that you don't see too often in games these days.

So, it was a good game, but it did lack a bit of ruling with an iron fist, and Super Walrus Man's hands were a bit clean throughout the whole thing. Another thing I noticed was that there was really only one kind of meat in the War of the Food. There seemed to be something wrong with that. But, anyway, everyone should play this game, if not for the cooking or the bling, than for one of the most frightening depictions of a Sesame Street character you're likely to ever see.
Attachments
THIS BLING IS QUITE POWERFUL
THIS BLING IS QUITE POWERFUL
bling.jpg (26.17 KiB) Viewed 2801 times
Aww, but he's such a cute little Spidey-Man...<br />He is very sensitive to your parody!
Aww, but he's such a cute little Spidey-Man...
He is very sensitive to your parody!
spidey.jpg (63.62 KiB) Viewed 2801 times