Master K Review: Puckamon

Write and read reviews of games that have been uploaded to Slime Salad.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Master K
King Slime

Master K Review: Puckamon

Post by Master K »

This is my review for FnnrfYgmSchnish's game, Puckamon.

Puckamon is a game that is supposed to be a parody of pokemon. The title screen has a Puckamon trainer standing on a rock, next to a Pikachu. This was Fnnrf's entry for the Ridiculous Contest 2010. Now, onto the game content.

The game is drifting on a sea of shoutouts, puns, and parodies! The proffessor is Proffessor Tree, poking at how each proffessor in the games are named after trees (Oak, Birch, Elm...). You play a fat kid named Ash, obviously mocking the main Character of Pokemon. The towns are all named after hammers (Mallet, Sledge, Ballpeen, Gavel...). There is puns of Nazi Germany and Communism, blantantly obvious with the Nazi Swastika Shaped Cave, the Swastikave, which is on Adolf's Road. In the Swastikave, there are Lucarios that are dressed in Nazi uniforms, and even Hitler himself, who you can catch, and later fuse with a Pikachu!
Jessinova and Jamesnikov are the communist equivalent of Jesse and James, and they belong to Team Sputnik. Their goal is to steal Pokemon, and make everyone Communist Zombies. The gym leader of Sledge Town is Cap't Crunch! The only Puckamon that are real Pokemon are Jigglypuff, Lucario, and Pikachu. Lucario, however, has turned to Nazism, so he's different. Arceus is alluded to as well, and is believed to be the real creator of the universe by few. Theres several Puckamon that are shout outs themselves. Theres Mr. Triangle, Gohrilla, Moogle, Yo Ghost, Pringles, and Hitler! There is a Jigglypuff in Gavel City that actually sings the theme of Lady Gaga's song, Bad Romance!

Despite how ridiculous this game is, it's quite enjoyable to play. The gameplay is suberb, although some battle balance issues are questionable. The fifty five Puckamon are all amusing, including their Puckadex entries. Theres the real feeling of "Gotta Get'em All!", as there is no ridiculously hard Puckamon to get, unlike Pokemon games that all have at least one unatainable pokemon. The humor is insane, but still funny. I cracked up when the girl forgot what Arceus's name was, and said what was in the screenshot above. I never got to finish the game, as I got lost, and did not know what to do next, but the game is only a 50% demo. It would be suberb to see if it ever got finished, with more Puckamon added.
Attachments
Jessinova and Jamesnikov. Hm, do they look familiar?
Jessinova and Jamesnikov. Hm, do they look familiar?
Puckamon Banana Forest.jpg (66.2 KiB) Viewed 2216 times
Real subtle, Fnnrf.
Real subtle, Fnnrf.
Puckamon Swastika.jpg (59.67 KiB) Viewed 2216 times
Fnnrf is a comedy genius.
Fnnrf is a comedy genius.
Puckamon Comedy Gold.jpg (56.64 KiB) Viewed 2216 times
Last edited by Master K on Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.