Macabre

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Just out of curiosity, when will this game be re-available for download? I definitely do want to pick it up and try it- it gets such high praise haha! Looking forward to it for sure sir.
I'm actually just about to put the original game back up for download. Check back in a bit and it should be there.

Here are the portraits for Alan and Gluep. Gluep is still a work in progress but I'm pretty happy with Alan's for now:

Last edited by Meatballsub on Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Since I've been working on Gluep's portrait, I've noticed that his hero sprites could use a little sprucing up. I'm not sure exactly which way I want to go with it just yet, but I've done a couple of changes to it that I think are improvements nonetheless.

What are your thoughts on it? Even if the new style isn't the way to go, I feel like some things could be done to make Gluep look a bit better.

Last edited by Meatballsub on Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

Hmm. I like the contrast of the old, but the new one is better. He looks like an interesting challenge to draw.

My advice would be to use different hues for shading, ie start with green and work your way to green-blue or something. I'd also control the texture a bit more, as in, the old one has an interesting... chest piece that sticks out, would make it more pronounced. Give him some kind of definable structure.
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Thanks man, I'll keep messing around with him and see what I can come up with :v:
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Is Gluep intended to be shiny and slick, like a slime? Or soft and mossy like a lichen?

If you want him to glisten like a slime, I suggest adding some highlights in a brighter green, especially on the portrait.
shakeyair
Slime Knight

Post by shakeyair »

I dont know if it will help but i took a stab at that dude, just since it seemed like fun. It wound up a bit of a mess, but i thought it might still give you some ideas.

This is assuming that he is... gloopey.... haha.
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Thanks for the suggestions guys! That sprite you made is really awesome as well. All of this has given me some ideas and I've started tweaking him some. I really like the colors you used for your guy so I kinda stole them (hope you don't mind). Still a WIP, but I think it is a step in the right direction, don't you?

Last edited by Meatballsub on Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Master K
King Slime

Post by Master K »

Is Gluep a female...?
Because the most recent one looks pretty busty for a guy...
ncw64
Slime Knight

Post by ncw64 »

Hey just wanted to say it looks good, but at this point it looks almost like a person in a thing layer of glue? I'm not sure what it's supposed to look like, but the only thing I could suggest is to try making it more monsteresque unless, of course, you were going for the human covered in slime thing. Maybe have little lines hanging off of random parts of his body dragging down into the puddle at the bottom? Just some random ideas- I'm a terrible pixel artist haha!
You can't fix stupidity.
shakeyair
Slime Knight

Post by shakeyair »

so the main issue i think you're having is a pretty common one. pixels have a very finite resolution and little details, lots of little details, need to disappear.

More than that, whole ideas need to disappear if they cannot be well represented on the pixel level.

More than that, even in 'serious' styled graphics, EXAGGERATE EXAGGERATE EXAGGERATE.

This is your sprite again, just because im gonna talk a bit about it and i want it to be here for quick reference.

i think i see what you are trying to do on the stomach, an area of tight ripples to replace the abs. or, perhaps, those are abs. it is hard to tell, and its not so much an issue of 'pixelling it wrong' so much as it is 'you cant pixel it right,' (the proverbial 'you,' not you in particular) at least not without more pixels to devote to that spot.

if he is supposed to be large chested and ripped.. well, heres an example
(not to toot my own horn or whatever, and probably not the best example at all, but its right there on my photobucket and i am trying to be fairly quick.)

note how much larger the shoulders are, this alone will stop the feminine appearance on your sprite. granted i had more pixels to work with etc etc. but glueps far shoulder should come out more, and his forward shoulder should come back and up a bit, giving him more of a 'triangle shaped' chest physique. (god the more i write the more i realize this is a terrible example picture for what im trying to say)

whatever.

also note that though there is a light source on this sprite, 'rule of cool' beats it in several areas. well, 'rule of cool' and 'rule of being able to tell what the hell something is'

most things are lit from the upper right, though the chest is lit straight on, and the back leg is brighter than the end of the spine for no good (physical) reason. (...and this is another thing no one ever tells anybody)

using a light source is good, but depicting something so its recognizable is more important. how does this relate back to your picture?

glueps left arm (picture right) is a mess of pixels that dont really say a whole lot.

other unclear places are the top of the head (that one pixel thing doesnt look slimy and i dont get what its supposed to be)

basically, ask yourself: "if i had no idea what this character was supposed to look like, could i fairly clearly tell exactly what EVERY PIXEL represents?" and yes, pixel 'noise,' sometimes works for this (sidewalks, even grass works alright) but unless you are representing a texture, dont just throw pixels down in places because it will make the sprite confusing.

sorry if this is too unorganized to make much sense of.

is it intentional to make him look like he has legs in the new one? Legs covered with a 'dress' of goop, but still legs. if so, thats a nice touch but i feel like the back leg is doing something awkward. if its supposed to be a cylindrical mass of goop (as in your earlier sprites and my sprite) then the transition to shadow should be more gradual.

he looks a lot less angry now, which is good for a hero, haha.

and i dont want you to think that this sprite is in any way bad. i dont think youre doing much wrong, i just think the things you are doing wrong are huge artistic hurdles in pixel art, that take some time to identify and more to rectify and more to have them fully ingrained in you. but getting them identified is the hardest step, because you either need to be told by someone (which rarely happens) or notice it yourself (which possibly never happens)

to hopefully make sense out of this rant:

looks pretty good, certainly improved, anatomy is a little strange on the chest, make the goop bigger, thicker, if for no reason other than if it is bigger, you can render it out as a thing instead of 'pixel noise' that someone has to think about to figure out what it is.

EDIT: of course i dont mind you using those colors. i have (somewhere) a half done palette arranged by color ramps that i keep meaning to finish and release.
Last edited by shakeyair on Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

ncw64 wrote:Hey just wanted to say it looks good, but at this point it looks almost like a person in a thing layer of glue? I'm not sure what it's supposed to look like, but the only thing I could suggest is to try making it more monsteresque unless, of course, you were going for the human covered in slime thing. Maybe have little lines hanging off of random parts of his body dragging down into the puddle at the bottom? Just some random ideas- I'm a terrible pixel artist haha!
Glueps actually are supposed to have that human shape to them. It's actually part of the story in-game. But im sure there are some changes that I can make to get it better nonetheless.
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Shakey, I don't know how I did it but I just realized that I totally missed your last post here. Good information; I appreciate it. I'll keep working on the sprite and probably post some more progress pics soon.

As for the rest of the game, things are going pretty good. Alluvium Range (formerly Gluep Mountain) has been completely redone; including several puzzles, updated graphics, and even a side quest.

As it stands, the final game as a whole could very well be twice as long due to added content and tweaked maps. I was anticipating only a few hours added but it seems that the content I've already redone has added at least an hour or more to the game already.

Really excited about what has been happening with it. I've considering releasing a demo sometime in the future but we'll just have to see. Part of me wants to retain everything until the finished product, but that could very well be in over a year or more. Undecided at this point whether I will go with the demo or not.
ncw64
Slime Knight

Post by ncw64 »

Well, I personally do want to give it a try. I vote release a demo ;D But I don know where you're coming from. It can be annoying to play a good game only to get almost randomly cut-off by a demo-ending. I dunno man, the choice is yours, but I would love to see it personally!
You can't fix stupidity.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Well, if it does take you a year to update it, don't forget that we'll probably be smack dab in the middle of Heart of the OHR 2012: Spoonweaver's Subtitle by then. Might be incentive to simultaneously rush it and hold off on releasing it.

On a semirelated note, for some reason I feel compelled to urge you not to go overboard with the updates. One lesson I've learned from updating The Adventures of Powerstick Man from a large scale adventure with little story to an immensely large scale adventure with little story is that it's easy to become inundated with so many ideas that the player can forget the heart of the game. I'm going all out in mine because there wasn't much to keep it together in the first place, so I don't feel like I'm losing much. But your game might suffer from overload if it gets too big or complex if what you already had was working well.

The saving grace, for me at least, would be to create obvious side paths that are designated for exploration and new town discovery, but not for the main plot. That way the player only takes those paths at his own risk, not because he's forced to. Not enough games give the player that option, but for those that do give the option, they give the player more to do without losing much integrity.

Not sure why I feel the need to say that, but it seems like the right thing. I've heard enough great things about it to look forward to its release. And I do hope you'll have it ready in time for the next Heart of the OHR because I want next year's contest to blow last year's away.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

I appreciate the advice, PR. I guess I should clarify what exactly I'm adding to the game.

The original game had a few side quests but was more or less as linear as you can get. The update will be pretty much the same but will feature a few more side quests as well as completely optional areas you can explore; but nothing too extravagant. The main difference in progression between the old and new game will be some puzzles I've added and have in mind to implement in later areas.

For a long time I've felt like it was too easy to get through the maps of the original, and it has been for sure. Although the maps have remained about the same sizes so far in the new version, the design has been altered to support different puzzles and challenges to make it less vanilla and a little more accomplishing to complete an area. While none of the map puzzles I've added so far are really that challenging at all, I feel like it's better to have them than nothing at all.

The new map designs and combat mechanics are probably what is contributing to additional game time as opposed to actual new content. Don't get me wrong, new content will be there, but probably not as much as you would expect.

My primary drive behind Ruin is to make the game stand out more on its own and with its own ideas. Having ripped music has always bugged me so I'm stoked about having the original score for it. I also had several references to commercial video games that I've wanted to take out at some point. I really feel like all of these changes I'm working on are worth it and will contribute to a solid end product.

When would this have to be released to be eligible for HOTOHR2? Is it too early to know? I don't plan on rushing anything but having a soft deadline in the back of my mind may help motivate me to continue updating during dry spots.