Mega Tact v0.1a released!

Announcements that go here will appear on the front page.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Battle #24 Baconlabs wins, even though I still have guys and the battle has just started.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I got a few battle challenges last night, but when I accepted them this morning, it let me place my units starting position, and then it immediately declared the battles over. One in a loss, one in a win, and one in a draw. Why?
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

There seems to be something that's deleting unit data. I'm having a heck of a time tracking it down, but I've noticed that in some battles, some units no longer show their info on hover.

If you can get a better handle on the circumstances surrounding this, I'd love to know - my own searches are coming up dry here.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Several times I tried playing, and on a few of those I didn't know that I had to place my guys or how to place my guys. One where I actually did put my guys down, I apparently must have lost waiting for my turn to come.

Also, I have no idea what these "tooltips" are that you mentioned or how to use them.
Last edited by Nathan Karr on Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

The premature battle endings are a symptom of a larger bug that I'm still working on.

Tooltips are hover text. Hover to get the text of the tooltips. Hover is your friend.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Battles should no longer end prematurely. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I can resume any battles that ended incorrectly; just let me know.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Mogri wrote:Battles should no longer end prematurely. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Battles 5, 6, and 15 were the ones that ended prematurely for me.

I was wondering about what you plans are for graphics once you have the game mechanics working how you like. Do you have a sprite style in mind? Are you going to make any attempt to display terrain height visually?

EDIT: also, I really wish that it showed the number of allowed units on the starting-locating-placement screen. I always forget to look at that on the previous page.
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

James Paige wrote:
Mogri wrote:Battles should no longer end prematurely. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Battles 5, 6, and 15 were the ones that ended prematurely for me.

I was wondering about what you plans are for graphics once you have the game mechanics working how you like. Do you have a sprite style in mind? Are you going to make any attempt to display terrain height visually?
I honestly have no plans for the graphics. They are a bit crude now, I guess. I could attempt to make them look more 3D without too much effort.
EDIT: also, I really wish that it showed the number of allowed units on the starting-locating-placement screen. I always forget to look at that on the previous page.
This is a good suggestion.

EDIT: Unfortunately, I don't think there's much I can do about games where one team didn't place any units. You should restart those matches.
Last edited by Mogri on Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

In Battle 37, it is my unit C's turn but he isn't on the map
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Mogri wrote:I honestly have no plans for the graphics. They are a bit crude now, I guess. I could attempt to make them look more 3D without too much effort.
Visible terrain height might be kinda cook cosmetically, but I think sprites for the units is most important, because (A) it makes it easy to tell them apart at a glance, and (B) it makes it easier to form an emotional attachment to them.

If you have a very rough idea of the style that you want, maybe some of us could start volunteering sprites. Do you want them to be square, or taller? Do you want them to be pixely (maybe even OHR-style 20x20?) or do you want them with the same pixel resolution as the current placeholder arrows?
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

For the terrain, couldn't you just make various tiled to replace the numbers (grass, tall grass, mountains, etc)
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

JSH357 wrote:In Battle 37, it is my unit C's turn but he isn't on the map
This happened to me once too. In my case I had place characters beyond the character CAP for the match. The characters were exactly where I had placed them but they just didn't have an icon. This might be the case for you too JSH.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

It says B for me
James wrote:If you have a very rough idea of the style that you want, maybe some of us could start volunteering sprites. Do you want them to be square, or taller? Do you want them to be pixely (maybe even OHR-style 20x20?) or do you want them with the same pixel resolution as the current placeholder arrows?
They'd have to be in the same dimensions as the current unit image (30x30). FYI, here's what's going on right now: http://www.slimesalad.com/fft/uniticon.png is repainted, rotated, and labeled on the fly to generate the unit icons.

My concerns with sprites are as follows:
- Still need to be able to easily convey facing and team at a glance. Should ideally be able to communicate current turn and limited status information, as seen in the current icons.
- Right now, there are 38 gender*job combinations. That's a moderate sprite load, even if you only use one sprite per genderjob. The full list contains something like 155 jobs, and while the majority of those are unisex (and some are dummy jobs), you're still looking at a very heavy sprite load down the line.

That said, I'm not opposed to a graphics revamp if someone is able to get around these issues and willing to do the work.
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

Mogri wrote:
It says B for me
I had him "Wait" I think he's still in the CT, but he's not where i put him in the formation so all I can really do is that.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Fixed it, thanks.