Dragon Quest VI, anybody?

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

mjohnson092088
Metal Slime

Post by mjohnson092088 »

on a semi-unrelated note, anyone notice something oddly familiar about DQ3's world map?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/587249-drag ... faqs/15876
Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy... So here's some lunchmeat... Sandwich, maybe?
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

heh, laziness. Though, it is kind of novel that it's basically a fantasy earth world.

But wait, what's this:
Atlantis!

Of course, that's not the only wrong with the world map.
Welcome to America DQ3
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjohnson092088
Metal Slime

Post by mjohnson092088 »

alefgard (the continent of the original game) is in there somewhere, too. although it might be an entirely seperate map.

i also love how there's jack-crap on "north america", except for "soo" (or more like "sioux", but whatever). at least the pyramid is sorta in the right place.
Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy... So here's some lunchmeat... Sandwich, maybe?
msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

Yeah, I remember not noticing this the first time I played the game, and I think it took my Dad pointing it out to me for me to figure it out (cut me some slack, I was like 10 or so). Then I felt extra stupid for not realizing it when I saw Japan called Jipang.

And if you aren't aware of how Alefgard relates to that map, it's kind of a spoiler (I guess...? I mean, knowing Alefgard is actually in the game at all is a bit of a spoiler), so I'm not sure what to say about it.
I am Srime
mjohnson092088
Metal Slime

Post by mjohnson092088 »

yeah, but it's not too much of a spoiler, considering alefgard was also in DQ2. i'll bet it makes an appearance in other DQ games too.
mjohnson092088
Metal Slime

Post by mjohnson092088 »

has anyone been able to patch the japanese ROM with NPR's english patch? apparently, it's 90% complete. everytime i patch it, however, my emulator can't play it. it says it's a bad rom... i've looked up how to patch ROMs many times, or at least this one specifically. i really really want to start playing DQ6 again, especially after getting so far before breaking my ROM (stupid stupid stupid!!) so any help would be great.
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

mjohnson092088 wrote:has anyone been able to patch the japanese ROM with NPR's english patch? apparently, it's 90% complete. everytime i patch it, however, my emulator can't play it. it says it's a bad rom... i've looked up how to patch ROMs many times, or at least this one specifically. i really really want to start playing DQ6 again, especially after getting so far before breaking my ROM (stupid stupid stupid!!) so any help would be great.
It's a very glitchy patch. You are probably using the wrong header type for the ROM, but I can't advise playing it anyway; the DS version is way better.
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com
mjohnson092088
Metal Slime

Post by mjohnson092088 »

i'm far too broke to afford any video games. thats why i play ROMs. i would like to buy a DS, but i just can't afford to. i can't even afford gas to actually get to work. it especially sucks that i can't find a new job anywhere. can you believe i actually got turned down for a cashier job at a grocery store because i didn't have enough experience?
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

mjohnson092088 wrote:i'm far too broke to afford any video games. thats why i play ROMs. i would like to buy a DS, but i just can't afford to. i can't even afford gas to actually get to work. it especially sucks that i can't find a new job anywhere. can you believe i actually got turned down for a cashier job at a grocery store because i didn't have enough experience?
If you're emulating anyway, why not just emulate DQ6DS? Desmume works pretty well now.
mjohnson092088
Metal Slime

Post by mjohnson092088 »

does it? how does the split-screen work? and what about the touch screen? do you click with the mouse?
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Don't pirate new games.
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

The touch screen just uses the mouse. I ran FF3DS on it perfectly fine (that game is slow as mess and practically requires frameskipping). Touch screen isn't important to DQ6DS anyway.

Like Surlaw says though, you should eventually pay for the games anyway. Emulators should ideally just be used for convenience's sake.
Voltire
Slime Knight

Post by Voltire »

I used to use Desmume but it was really slow. I stopped using roms altogether, except for ZSNES, which I used rarely.

Every game I do buy now is at Bestbuy or Gamestop. Like DQ6.
mjohnson092088
Metal Slime

Post by mjohnson092088 »

eh, if the emulator is inherently slow, then forget it. my computer is awful and would just make it that much slower (probably unplayable).