The OHR and You.

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Sh4d0ws
Slime Knight

The OHR and You.

Post by Sh4d0ws »

I wanna know how you ( Yes, you. ) discovered the OHR, and why you prefer it over the alternatives.

To kick things off; I'll go first:

I found it on some DosGames website. Actually I didn't; my brother did, but he couldn't figure out how to do anything, or even what it was. So I went to the website, read that it made games, and decided to figure it out. Now I was about seven or eight, maybe nine (Memory's fuzzy.) and I thought that messing with anything but the program itself, could mess it up, so stayed away from them awful help documents. I didn't know how the hell anything was done, but using Smiley.RPG as my guide and reference-book, I eventually figured just about everything out. Except for tags and plotscripting.

The very first creation to be spawned by my hands was a little game where you were a yellow stickman that had to wade around in some grass with absolutely no objective or goal. I remember I made the grass pure green and added darker green lines on the bottom of the walkabout to simulate him walking through the grass.

I still use the OHR today for three reasons:

1.) It's nostalgic. Kinda hard to forget the very first, y'know.
2.) It's more challenging, -and rewarding to make more robust and interesting games. (It's also easy to use without being too cut-and-paste)
3.) I prefer the pixellated, low-color goodness of It's games over the competition.

So, I just spent a lot of time typing that... you should too!
Last edited by Sh4d0ws on Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeoSpade
Slime Knight

Post by NeoSpade »

I discovered the OHR through a friend before I had the internet, and used it and loved it.

I've kept using it because to be quite frank; it's just so much better than the alternatives;

Game Maker *insert version here* is too clunky to be any good (I dislike Drag and drop interface)

RPGmaker *insert windows version here* isn't anywhere near as powerful as the OHR.

Source SDK is awesome, but no good for what I like doing.

I've just stuck with it because I love JRPGs and love the community, and I've really liked just how active the developers are in the community.
RMSephy
Metal Slime

Post by RMSephy »

I found the OHR some time in 1998 or 1999, probably through Google or something equally retarded like that. I know this for a fact because I skipped out on watching the Millenium Ball drop in favor of working on a sucky noob game.

Anyways, I stuck with the OHR because BAMs were fun to make and I was really anal about switching to MIDIs. And then the OHR dropped BAMs and forced me to learn to make MIDIs anyways, so now I'm anal about learning how to make MP3s.

Also, the OHR's graphics resolution was lower than the RM2k's, so it took less effort to draw sprites in the OHR. And I'm a lazy person.

Plus, I spent so much time learning plotscripting that it's a pain to go out and learn something new. I'm still furious about all this newfangled stuff coming out for the OHR (slices? wtf?) and forcing me to learn new things.
Last edited by RMSephy on Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Fyroa
Red Slime

Post by Lord Fyroa »

I first discovered the OHR through a good friend of mine. I was 10 or 11,
I was spending the night at his house. He showed me some of the stuff he'd accomplished.

I was amazed. I instantly had to make a game. Yeah, that game. I didn't post it on CP as I didn't have an account. So he posted it for me, no playable demo, of course. After that I began working on another game Shaman, wich actually fared much better than Yo Ghost, It got deleted.(Keep in mind this was all at his house over the course of several weekends) After that we tried making a game together.

Anyway I finaly got the OHR on my computer and i'm still trying to finish my first game. I chose the OHR 'cause it's all I know. I do love it though. Wouldn't use anything else.
Last edited by Lord Fyroa on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Done like your mom!"
Shadowiii
Slime Knight

Post by Shadowiii »

How many of these things do we do every year? :v:

Anyway, a guy called Mr. B introduced me to Wandering Hamster in...2000? 1999? Don't remember. Anyway, a while later I was on Hamster Republic, and I wanted to figure out what this whole "OHRRPGCE" thing was. Blam, hooked, done.
Luigi is almost as sexy as me!
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

NeoSpade wrote:I discovered the OHR through a friend before I had the internet, and used it and loved it.

I've kept using it because to be quite frank; it's just so much better than the alternatives;

Game Maker *insert version here* is too clunky to be any good (I dislike Drag and drop interface)

RPGmaker *insert windows version here* isn't anywhere near as powerful as the OHR.

Source SDK is awesome, but no good for what I like doing.

I've just stuck with it because I love JRPGs and love the community, and I've really liked just how active the developers are in the community.
To be fair, while I do prefer the OHR since I'm used to it, RMXP is a ton more powerful and uses a much more flexible programming language.
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com
Aeth
Slime Knight

Post by Aeth »

JSH357 wrote:To be fair, while I do prefer the OHR since I'm used to it, RMXP is a ton more powerful and uses a much more flexible programming language.
Having used RMXP extensively this is very true. You can do just about anything with it. The OHR is far superior to the previous RM entries, however, and is ultimately the most user-friendly engine out there (which is why I still like it so much).
NayusDante
Red Slime

Post by NayusDante »

It was probably 1999. As long as I can remember, I always wanted to make a game. Around fifth grade, I actually started looking into programming and the game development process, and RPG Maker 95 had recently been translated and distributed online. I remember one site in particular (was it rpgmaker.net?) that listed and hosted several similar projects, like RPG Toolkit, and possibly Verge. I probably couldn't name any of the others without jumping on Archive.Org and checking if it's there or not.

At the time, the engines I had found were either too early on, or too complicated to figure out. I spent more time messing around in them and looking up different game engines than actually making anything. Eventually, I found a list of RPG engines that while rather extensive, seemed a bit DOS-oriented. I believe that was where I first found OHR. At the time, I quickly dismissed it as antiquated and not worth messing with. It wouldn't be until high school that I actually sat down and learned enough C++ and SDL for a basic RPG map demo that I would be interested in RPG development again.

After high school, I finally had that flash of creativity that inspired me to work on a game project again. I had a story in mind, and I spent about a year fleshing it out. However, I wanted to make something presentable and polished, not like most independent games. My thoughts turned to the 2D JRPG format once more, and I started messing with the XNA RPG Starter Kit. Eventually, I realized that I had to complete at least a project or two before I felt comfortable producing the story I had in mind.

I set out to create an 8-bit RPG with the XNA RPG kit, and even got some friends interested, thinking that it would work out nicely. As time went on, however, it became apparent that the engine was too messy, and not even friendly to tile-based movement, which I had sloppily implemented. By this time, Breath of Death VII had been released. I knew I could do better, but the engine simply rewired a rewrite. Since I was one of two (out of five people) with any kind of drive to complete the project, and working with friends just made us argue all the time, I called it off.

After thinking about my options for a while (manga? novel? tabletop RPG?), I remembered OHR. It's certainly changed over time... and there's a community... and it's open-source...

So there's the lengthy story of how I discovered, rejected, and rediscovered OHR. Now I'm wishing that I had stuck with it back in 99.
Jack
Slime Knight

Post by Jack »

My brother sorta kinda introduced me to it. I think this was the 3 map version, back in like.. '98? Well, he showed it to me, and when he couldn't figure it out he deleted it off the computer. Having no clue what the program was called I had to search through our internet history to try and find some form of info as to where he got it.

That's when I came across hamsterrepublic.com.

Oddly enough, every project I've started on the OHR has been both actively and inadvertently deleted by my brother. I think he was a little jealous that I understood how to use it (horrah for reading readmes).
msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

I found the OHR by searching on yahoo or google for "Make your own RPG", or something like that. I continue to use it because I think the interface is great. I LOVE that I can do everything VERY easily WITHOUT having to touch the mouse. I miss this about Notate.

I guess this is me disagreeing with the other thread where the author claims that the majority of people would be turned off by the current interface.
I am Srime
Ichiro
Slime Knight

Post by Ichiro »

I found it through downloading Ends of the Earth while on a game downloading bender.
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

I'm not entirely sure how I found it - or, for the matter of fact, when I found it - I only know it was within a year of this date. But then again that's how I found most of the places I frequent and the programs and whatnot I use.
I did kind of abandon it for several months, and really only came back to it last month.
In any case, I prefer it over the other options because... I'm not sure actually. I don't want to bother wrangling with Game Maker and although I have used RPG Maker XP a little bit (primarily for a project on another site), I haven't bothered obtaining a full version of it - or figuring out how to make more than just maps on it, but that's a different story. Also I actually know where to find everything I need to use in OHRRPGCE, which isn't the case with the aforementioned program.
Also I guess having such a low resolution makes it easier to make good graphics for it, even with the nonstandard tile size.
Skullduggery Studios
Metal Slime

Post by Skullduggery Studios »

I found it cuz I was sick of the game-maker I was using (my computer doesn't have very high memory, which the other program required), so I googled "RPG game maker freeware" or something like that, and found the wiki. I didn't find castleparadox until some time later, and only found out about slime salad from there. So here I am.
ajguy93
Red Slime

Post by ajguy93 »

I found it through the administrator of my computer. I wanted a RPG Game Maker, and he wanted a free version of that. So this was the first obivous choice. Free, good (Jk, it's Excellent) and supports most music files.
addes3
Slime

Post by addes3 »

I found the OHRRPGCE over a year ago while searching for alternatives of RPG Maker 2003. I barely touched it then, and then I used the RPG Toolkit for a while before once again finding the OHRRPGCE again from Google. I then decided to use it.
Still haven't done anything useful.

I like it because of the interface and how you don't need to program everything (like text boxes, cut scenes, and battles).
<i>I am a non-professinal indie game creator</i>