Heart of the OHR Contest

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

msw188 wrote:I had just attached it a bit before Bugzilla went down. I hope you like it, haha. You'll see what I mean.
I just fixed bug 486, so I am not going to count that one as your request if you enter the contest.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

I'll try Pepsi, but I doubt my RPG will be ready for this contest. If you hold it again next year, it should be able to make it. I explained to you how much I had left... Ha.
msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

James Paige, you are almost certainly the most amazing man on this side of the Atlantic Ocean. I will download and try it out tomorrow. Thanks so much!
I am Srime
G-Wreck
Slime Knight

Post by G-Wreck »

This is really cool. I will definitely be entering Syzygy.

I would really like to see bug 406: Spell List Tags fixed. Being able to enable/disable attacks in a spell list through tags would be excellent. I think this can be done with scripting already, but I think it would be a great built-in feature for CUSTOM as well: especially for users who would rather do as little scripting as possible.
Email contributions to the OHR Collab project to:

ohrcollab@gmail.com

All contributions will be recorded in the credits.
Sh4d0ws
Slime Knight

Post by Sh4d0ws »

Are you stuck with clicking on the on-screen accessibility keyboard?
Yes. It's horrible

Actually, the whole computer's screwed up, now. Sometimes It seems to "Take control" of the cursor, It'll start sliding all along the edges, opening menus, applications, and closing any windows I'd have open. Trying to connect to the internet results in a screen-full of errors. And It constantly makes a beeping noise. I can't really do anything on it. Heh, slimy luck.

My neighbors have a computer, though. ( Hence my ability to post here. )
I'm still in, just not as much as I'd like. :)

I want Bug 332 Implemented -Moving hero positions would be nice.

And for my game, the title is: Lightning Heroes. Yep, I'm goin' cliche.
msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

I'm torn between bugs 838 (stun attacks cancel delayed attacks even without the bitset to do so) and 805 (main answer to 729, involving having battle menues wait for any attack in the queue to finish before appearing, so it never looks like an attack is occuring while the hero's menu is open).

I know that JSH357 and Newbie Power both have a huge desire to see 805/729 attacked. Any chance you were thinking of picking that one, guys? If so, I will pick 838. If you guys have another bug in mind though, let me know and I think I will change my choice to 805.

If anyone's interested, here are some others that I strongly considered, and maybe someone out there might want one of these:
121 - ability to add new 'things' in custom as copies of already existing 'things', where 'things' could mean attacks, items, tilesets, etc...
319 - attacks that can target bitsets, allowing elemental protection and things to occur mid-battle
497 - bitset to disable item command in battle, since some heroes might be too stupid to know how to use a medical herb (and because this will clean up my item-menu implementaion in Tales 2)
I am Srime
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

G-Wreck wrote:I would really like to see bug 406: Spell List Tags fixed. Being able to enable/disable attacks in a spell list through tags would be excellent. I think this can be done with scripting already, but I think it would be a great built-in feature for CUSTOM as well: especially for users who would rather do as little scripting as possible.
This one is of about medium difficulty. I need to clean up the hero editor and some more of the battle code, but I don't foresee any really nasty challenges.
Sh4d0ws wrote:I want Bug 332 Implemented -Moving hero positions would be nice.
This one is going to be very difficult. I am certainly willing to try, but I am setting the failure bounty to a low $5 because this one is so much work. Simply moving hero positions isn't so huge, but doing it the right way is tricky. I want to make sure it doesn't add additional backcompat burden for when we add battlescripting later. I'll write up a plan for what I need to do to implement this one.
msw188 wrote:I'm torn between bugs 838 (stun attacks cancel delayed attacks even without the bitset to do so) and 805 (main answer to 729, involving having battle menues wait for any attack in the queue to finish before appearing, so it never looks like an attack is occuring while the hero's menu is open).
I think 838 should be moderately easy, or very easy if I have a good test case. I think 805 should be pretty easy too.
msw188 wrote: If anyone's interested, here are some others that I strongly considered, and maybe someone out there might want one of these:
121 - ability to add new 'things' in custom as copies of already existing 'things', where 'things' could mean attacks, items, tilesets, etc...
319 - attacks that can target bitsets, allowing elemental protection and things to occur mid-battle
497 - bitset to disable item command in battle, since some heroes might be too stupid to know how to use a medical herb (and because this will clean up my item-menu implementaion in Tales 2)
bug 121 is very difficult. This would either require a separate implementation for each menu, or it would require me to work on the Editor-Editor.

bug 319 is not super hard, although to really do it right I would want to do it as part of the <a href="http://gilgamesh.hamsterrepublic.com/wi ... uffs">plan for stat buffs</a>, which is more complicated.

bug 497 is not too hard either.
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

I would say Bug 805 is my choice should I win. I'd like to see it fixed more than anything else.
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Same. We're getting closer to FFX style turn based battles!
<TheGiz> oh hai doggy, oh no that's the straw that broke tjhe came baclsb
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

I've expressed this request before, but I'd really like to see the elemental bitsets increased to 16 (or 32) (or hell, even have them be user definable up to however many they want). The long story short is that I'd like to set up my "status effects" to have their own elemental affinities so that I can make items that protect against them (like Star pendants for poison, goggle for blind, ribbons for everything, etc.), without having to associate just ONE element for them (as Vikings currently does).

The other request may be a bit more complicated, but would go a LONG way towards improving the actual presentation of battles in the engine. The best way to explain this would be to go play Final Fantasy VI, and watch what the heroes do at the start of every battle. Notice how they have different actions associated with them? I want to be able to do that.

In return, I'll do my absolute best to crack out Vikings of Midgard: Final by Christmas of this year.
msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

Okay, so 838 turned out to be a total screw-up on my part. I'm pretty sure what happened was that, while updating my RPG at some point, custom turned on the "cancel attacks" bitset to mimic old behavior for stun-register attacks. So all of those attacks had the bitset turned on, even though I am well above 99% certain I never touched the bitset in my life.

So I'm switching my bounty-bug to 497. I think the guy doing the Mario fangame asked about this too, since he'd like Yoshi to not be able to use items. I mean, honestly, when you get a feather while riding Yoshi, Mario's the only who gets the cape, right?
I am Srime
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

I'd really like to see this one put in at some point.

Also, I'm not sure if it has a Bugzilla entry or not, but another thing I'd like to see is the possibility of heroes having the enemy "type" bitsets (so "bonus/fail vs. ____" bitsets on attacks will affect them.) And of course these would also be targetable by those bitset-targeting attacks... so it'd be pretty easy to make something like the "Float" spell in FF6 that prevents earthquakey-type moves from hitting you.
shakeyair
Slime Knight

Post by shakeyair »

msw188 wrote: So I'm switching my bounty-bug to 497. I think the guy doing the Mario fangame asked about this too, since he'd like Yoshi to not be able to use items. I mean, honestly, when you get a feather while riding Yoshi, Mario's the only who gets the cape, right?
yes. this would be glorious.

is it ok if i enter the as-of-yet-un-named-mario-fangame into this? i know the rules said it was discouraged, but not expressly disallowed. i have a lot of fun ideas for it and its shaping up to be pretty epic.

if thats all good, i want an 'on menu open' plotscript you can set. i realize that sounds worthless, but it would simplify some things greatly. but honestly, the main reason why i want it is to override the main menu. so a 'replacement main menu' script would be just as good to me. whichever is easier/more useful in your eyes.

(i know, thats not in bugzilla, but you know what is? Bug 702 - cursor graphics. i have a script that does this pretty well, and entirely seamlessly replaces a menu with a slice duplicate of said menu. the problem is, to make it work, i need to have an 'onkeypress' script, AND have a dummy menu open at all times which is totally invisible and does not do anything except block normal main menu activation.)

i mean, i'll release the script anyway once every last bug is absolutely squashed. (there are some slight issues right now, all of which would be fixed about instantly if there was an 'on menu open' script. (that also, preferably, sent an argument saying what menu it is)
Mystic
Metal Slime

Post by Mystic »

if i enter something... the feature request i wanted was also to enable/disable "item" in the battle menu.

and i'm pretty sure i'm entering something. super secret!
RMSephy
Metal Slime

Post by RMSephy »

If I enter something, I want to be able to use enemy death animations on sprites outside of battle.

And my game's not super-secret at all. It'll be Angel Whispers.
Last edited by RMSephy on Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.