Powerstick Man Legendary: Slime Salad Exclusive Download

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Powerstick Man Legendary: Slime Salad Exclusive Download

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Powerstick Man? What?

The Extended Edition is well into production, but still a long way from release. What's an impatient boy to do?

Play the Legendary Edition, of course.

Legendary Edition? What's that?

It's a Slime Salad exclusive download, that's what. It's the original game with those modifiers I never released to the public--like bus passes, for example. It was also called V1.1 for quite awhile.

It also comes with a ton of extras including the Extended Edition preview files (the ones you read here and on HamsterSpeak), the previously unreleased (and still unfinished) strategy guide, the official game advertisement for the 2001 OHRlympics, an updated version of the original short story called "Superheroes Anonymous," and the promo document for my unreleased game called Blind Date.

Is that all?

No.

It also includes the base file for what was originally going to be V2 (the one with the far better graphics). This is an incomplete game, but gives you an example of what Powerstick Man's future may hold after the Final Edition is released.

And finally, it includes the opening chapter of the new Cannonball City novel that I plan to publish (through a real publisher) in the near future. This is the true beginning of the Powerstick Man saga.

It's the only Pepsi Ranger approved Powerstick Man update prior to the release of the Extended Edition in 2009. It's also a cheap excuse to get the superhero back into the spotlight (if OHR House hasn't done that already).

So now that you know, what are you waiting for?

Download here:

http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=360
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Uncommon
Metal Slime

Post by Uncommon »

I was actually thinking about Superheroes Anonymous earlier today. I am totally downloading this.
Only One In All
Metal Slime

Post by Only One In All »

Is it supposed to be so that I can't leave the factory? :/

Aside from that, the only other issue I noticed are the textboxes. Being partially translucent makes it incredibly difficult to read, especially when it's a gray box against a gray background. The factory song also started to get irritating after a while, although I do recall it from the original version (is it still in BAM format? Perhaps that's why).

Other than that, kinda disappointed I couldn't figure out how to do anything else.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Is it supposed to be so that I can't leave the factory? :/
You should be able to leave the factory. Are you picking the right door? I don't know what limitations Werewaffle poses on the old version for you, but after a quick test, I was able to leave just fine. What's actually happening here?
Aside from that, the only other issue I noticed are the textboxes. Being partially translucent makes it incredibly difficult to read, especially when it's a gray box against a gray background. The factory song also started to get irritating after a while, although I do recall it from the original version (is it still in BAM format? Perhaps that's why).
I would change the textbox translucency if it didn't mean missing all the stuff that happens underneath the textboxes. As of now I don't have any plans to change that--especially considering I didn't like the way the game looked with full boxes. I may reconsider down the road if I think full boxes won't ruin the action. But right now they'll hide stuff that I want the player to see.

The longer you play it, the more you'll get used to it, though. Also, it encourages you to read the text rather than skim it, making it easier to catch subtle clues that you might otherwise miss if you just glanced at it.

I might consider changing box colors for the Extended Edition, though. And I'm also considering the possibility of making boxes jump like they do in Tightfloss Maiden. Hopefully that'll make it easier.

The original version is still in BAM format.

I have a feeling the main reason why the song is annoying is because it's a big area and you'll have to listen to it for awhile. Unfortunately, any song I could replace it with will suffer the same problem. It's just the product of not having a dungeon you can burn through in five minutes. (There are shorter areas later in the game, though). As far as the song choice goes, I was trying to be considerate not ripping it from Final Fantasy or Wandering Hamster.
Other than that, kinda disappointed I couldn't figure out how to do anything else.
Actually, so am I. Again, this may be a Werewaffle conversion problem as the game is pretty straightforward. There are a few puzzles scattered about, but they're easy to figure out if you read the signs on the walls. Escaping the factory isn't one of those puzzles, though. Escaping is just a matter of moving from Point A to Point B.
Only One In All
Metal Slime

Post by Only One In All »

You should be able to leave the factory. Are you picking the right door? I don't know what limitations Werewaffle poses on the old version for you, but after a quick test, I was able to leave just fine. What's actually happening here?
There are a couple of doors that did not work. I left through the right door from the chemical vat room, went past the "four square" room all the way to the right of what seemed to be the exit, but no door activated.

I would change the textbox translucency if it didn't mean missing all the stuff that happens underneath the textboxes. As of now I don't have any plans to change that--especially considering I didn't like the way the game looked with full boxes. I may reconsider down the road if I think full boxes won't ruin the action. But right now they'll hide stuff that I want the player to see.
Well the problem is I had to strain my eyes to read the text. As if that wasn't enough, the font was thinner than the default OHR font, which on top of the translucent box, made it a struggle to read. I enjoyed the dialogue, despite being it wordy, I don't mind wordy games. I don't think your method will get people used to it in the way you'd like. Chances are if they weren't going to read this much text to begin with, they'll skim through it anyway. Besides, there wasn't anything happening at all in the chemical vat room, so I don't understand what would have been missed.

I have a feeling the main reason why the song is annoying is because it's a big area and you'll have to listen to it for awhile. Unfortunately, any song I could replace it with will suffer the same problem. It's just the product of not having a dungeon you can burn through in five minutes.
No, for me it was the song itself. There's just something grating about it after listening to it for a while. It doesn't fit particularly well, and it's kinda of loud and invasive which, might be part of the problem. I realize though that this was from a long time ago, so I'm sure by now, replacing the song with something less painful to hear won't be an issue.

Actually, so am I. Again, this may be a Werewaffle conversion problem as the game is pretty straightforward. There are a few puzzles scattered about, but they're easy to figure out if you read the signs on the walls. Escaping the factory isn't one of those puzzles, though. Escaping is just a matter of moving from Point A to Point B.
I could not find any puzzles. I couldn't interact with anything either for that matter, save the three people in the factory. I clicked on notes and letters and machines and crap, but nothing ever happened. I should mention I was playing V2.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Oneinonlyall wrote:I could not find any puzzles. I couldn't interact with anything either for that matter, save the three people in the factory. I clicked on notes and letters and machines and crap, but nothing ever happened. I should mention I was playing V2.
Ha, when I went for my unwinding walk a little while ago I was thinking about your earlier post and wondered if we were talking about the same version. I had forgotten I included V2 with the Legendary Edition. And as I was reading your response I started to realize that you were in fact playing V2. And sure enough, you're talking about V2.

And now that I know we're talking about two different games, I think my response will make more sense.

V2 is just a graphics sample. I included it with the Legendary Edition because it's been sitting on my hard drive for five years, because it had a couple cool innovations I wanted to show off to the community (or would've been cool five years ago), and because I knew it would've been years before I could ever give it the proper update it deserves, if I ever give it one. As far as actual gameplay is concerned, however, there is none. At best it gives you a clearer picture of the factory's back story, a much better graphical presentation than the original's factory ever provided, and shows you what Powerstick Man would look like if he were 20 pixels tall. But that's it. I never added to it because I never got V1 out of my head.

I thought I mentioned this in shorter words on the description page.

When the Final Edition and a couple of my other projects are finished, I'll probably go back and update this version. It won't be anywhere on the scale that the Final Edition or even the Extended Edition will offer, but it will be streamlined at least. It'll also likely become more of a puzzler than an RPG. The vision I have for it includes adding a second floor to the factory, as well as providing full interaction with pretty much anything not nailed down (and some things that are).

I might, might finish the factory between the Extended Edition and Final Edition releases at the very least just to give players some reason to play it while they wait for something finished. But for now there is nothing past the office block.

And I agree with you about the font. That's why I based the Extended Edition off an earlier copy (as V2 was based off the very last original update, which included the font change, which I don't think I have anymore). I think at the time games were being criticized for using the default font so I tried something different in response to that, and in the end it looked stupid. If I update V2, I'm probably gonna switch back to the original font.

Anyway, I hope that clears up some misconceptions.

If it's any consolation, I started toying with the idea of splitting the factory's soundtrack into three parts (the original song for the chemical room, something else for the office block, and something else for the warehouse). As far as song choice goes, however, that will NOT change. Songs in this game weren't picked based on how upbeat they are. Every decision going into this game had purpose. "Gonna Make You Sweat" was the best catchy song I could think of that used the need for deodorant as part of its subtext. Same thing applied to the victory theme (though that one's more blatant, I think). Getting rid of that song for the next update would wreck everything Powerstick Man stands for. So it won't happen.

And after further thought and testing, I have to stand by what I said about the text boxes. The game looks horrible with solid boxes. Character expressions are muted. I can't look at the game and be satisfied with those things hanging there, so I gotta stick with the translucent ones. Sorry. If configuring text boxes in game are ever an option, I will certainly implement it. But for my own enjoyment I need to see the action behind the boxes.

Well, I hope this helps.