Ridiculous Games Contest - 2010 - Voting

Announcements that go here will appear on the front page.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

DDW:TT - is it actually possible to buy the Sword of Nine Truths? Does it actually do anything worthwhile, or should I just treat this game like Arfenhouse and run from every fight? Sadly enough, Boundless Ocean required more grinding.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

In the town where you can't go west, there's a bunch of buildings that you can go inside that don't seem to do anything. I walked along the leftest hallway, and fought enemies called "Grind stones" that gave me a lot of EXP/Money. I never bought a sword of nine truths but I came close to having enough money.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Yes you can buy the sword, and yes it's amazing.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

I suck at reviews, so you all get pictures instead. They may or may not have anything to do with the games in question.

All the Games by Barnabus
Image 10
You've done something absolutely AMAZING here, and should be proud of it. Playing these games is like opening up one of those Chinese pirate multipak games. Sure, most of them are crap, but every now and then you find a few totally awesome gems that stand out from the rest of the croud.

Automagically! Bizzaro Carnival in Salad Kingdom by Spoonweaver
Image 6
This game is made for speedruns, and it shows. I was having such a rough time clearing a few of the later gaps until I realized I could SHOOT DOWNWARDS TO PROPEL MYSELF UP. I'm still not fond of the limited ammunition that also plagued that other sidescroller with that short guy, but in this context it somewhat works. This game definitely needed some variety in the stages themselves, because the same tiles get repeditive after a while. The first stage shows the best variety, while later stages seem mostly rushed. And it shows.

Danse Danse Whale: Total War by Blue Train, J_Taylor, Momoka, Spoonweaver
Image 3
This game suffers from having to be pulled in so many different directions that there's no focus to it. Sure, I giggled at the absudity of having a giant whale as my main antagonist, but beyond that I didn't find anything that really stood out. Except the Grindstones, THAT is a funny in-joke.

Duck by JSH357
Image 9
This game seems inspired from the old film noir movies, and to an extent slime Tracy. Or should I say Duck Twacy? There's a lot of style and emotion in this game, so much so that it's like being a part of an interactive story more than a game - not that it's a bad ride, it's actually well written and engaging. The graphics are pretty ugly though, and that's really the only thing hurting it.

Field of Dwarves and Endless Dreams by Twinconclusive
Image 6
I didn't hate this game. Leveling up IN BATTLE is a fantastic and amazing concept that I don't think I've ever seen before. The problem here is that everyone looks the same, and they look more like Gnomes than Dwarves. That, and I suck at the default OHR battle setup. Moreover, there's too much information thrown at the player from the start. You'll be reading the guide and trying to remember everyone's individual attacks over and over until you've got it memorized. Still, this game does have its excellent points. Graphically, it's one of the most interesting games out of this year's contest, and it's got a LOT of work put into it.

Meh. by Fenrir-Lunaris
Image 5
Meh. And I'm surprised nobody's figured out that the background music and the entire sheep-scenario is all one in-joke. Also, this game got far more attention outside the OHR community than I could have expected. There'll be an update for sure.

Mr. The Hamster's Math Class by James Paige
Image 4
My first impressions on booting this up are how well polished everything is. Speech, sound effects, sprites and slices all swirl about in a splendidly spiffy selection of.... I lost my train of thought there, but it's an edutainment game, and we don't see very many of those out of the community. James should have entered this in the TGC a few years ago, he would have handily won. Except he already did, and I still haven't learned my lesson to not eat soap. There's probably some content in this game that I'm missing, because I just couldn't get into it like I had hoped. The random images are fabulous though, and that's always something.

Puckamon by FnrrfYgmSchnish
Image 6
I wanted to like this game. It's VERY technically impressive for what's already here, and while the color scheme hurts my eyes, it's a very appropriate choice. If I have any complaints, they're mostly in the battles. I don't want to hold down the spacebar, only to occasionally heal. Speed it up, or make these guys stronger, please.

Yo Ghost RGC Edition by Sh4d0ws
Image 2
The only good thing about this game is that it's pretty to look at, but there's unfortunately no substance here. In a few months, this game could completely turn around and be something worthwhile though. It's just that the whole YoGhost joke has more or less run out of steam, and is only really funny when it's not trying to be all serious. Still, there was that recent attempt to re-write Space Ghost as a darker, grittier version - and that worked.
SDHawk
Metal Slime

Post by SDHawk »

All the Games 10/10
Thirty games in thirty days. That's all I need to say. I will say that people downvoting this on account of Call of Duty are complete idiots. Jews died in horrible ways and we shouldn't try to cover that up. No, it's not funny. Neither was the holocaust.

Automagically! Bizzaro Carnival in Salad Kingdom 3/10

The music's pretty baller. That's about it.

Danse Danse Whale: Total War 1/0

It crashed on me during a conversation with some zombie guy. Prior to that it felt like one of those chain game contests where people pass a game along. Learn Collaboration.

Duck 6/10

I was pretty hyped for this when JSH announced it, particularly since I'm probably the only person around here who actually played the first two duck games. The writing/presentation is solid, and ending 6 is fantastic but re-reading conversations and reliving painfully slow battles that have virtually no strategy whatsoever drags it down horribly (even if they're faithful to the original game's battles).

I couldn't bring myself to get more than two endings even with the reward of making JSH write an article on something he doesn't want to, and that is a failure in game design.

Field of Dwarves and Endless Dreams 3/10

Ugh.

Meh. 2/10

There's like 5 events that cycle constantly and I got a happy ending in the least fulfilling way possible. It certainly felt like work to play, but it wasn't terribly ridiculous.

Mr. The Hamster's Math Class 4/10

The production values are fantastic but this doesn't really hold any entertainment value outside of that for anyone who knows their multiplication tables, nor is it really ridiculous.

Puckamon 4/10

Not being allowed to be a girl made me laugh. Otherwise I hate pokemon and this game is slow as hell so I didn't really give it much of a chance past that. I feel slightly bad about that since this clearly had a lot of effort put into it.

Yo Ghost 1/10

What is this shit.
Last edited by SDHawk on Fri May 14, 2010 6:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Snodrvr
Red Slime

Post by Snodrvr »

Whoops! In my rush last night I forgot to review Automagically!

Automagically 6/10
I enjoyed this. It was simple, but it was still fun. There was however, a definite lack of pogo sticks.
Hachi
Retired Smash Champion
Location: drifting down a hairpin turn HOLY SHI- HE OVERTOOK THE RX-7!!

Post by Hachi »

Hey here is a link to all the Barnabus games that works

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3KYGWKMR

Maybe I should have posted it earlier but whatever. 107 MB so dial up peeps, I feel for you, but really, you should be downloading them one at a time off of Slime Salad because that is totally a legitimate thing to do when your connection is limited (plus it actually works).
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

After having thoroughly discussed the issue with a number of people, I have decided to extend the period for actual voting by two weeks. You now have until EXACTLY May 28th, 11:59 PM Central Time to get me your votes on whichever games you wanted to vote on. The results will still be published in the upcoming Hamsterspeak Magazine.

So get in your votes before then!

You lazy slackers
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Yay! I thought I wasn't going to get to vote :)
Skullduggery Studios
Metal Slime

Post by Skullduggery Studios »

Whew! I didn't get to vote a few.

Duck: 3/10. I didn't play the originals, and had no prior concept, which probably hurt me. I enjoyed the game dialogue, but the graphics were brutal for my eyes, and once I died on the second fight, I didn't deem the game good enough to try again. Sorry.

All the Games: 7/10. I didn't actually get to play ALL THE GAMES... yet. I've heard bad comments about one, but I haven't played that one yet. I thouroughly enjoyed the OHRhouse ones and Twilight. (But Twilight would have been a lot better if James or Angela killed Bella AND Edward at the end. The current ending is awfully sappy. Just saying)
The graphics aren't great, and some of the games seemed pointless (Vote)??? but Barnabus deserves all sorts of honors for his effort. I couldn't even finish one game by the end of the contest, and he finished thirty. (Although, admittedly, my ideas are a LITTLE bit more complicated...)

Did I get all the games now? I hope so...
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

J_Taylor wrote:Whew! I didn't get to vote a few.

Duck: 3/10. I didn't play the originals, and had no prior concept, which probably hurt me. I enjoyed the game dialogue, but the graphics were brutal for my eyes, and once I died on the second fight, I didn't deem the game good enough to try again. Sorry.
Might I ask what it was about the game that made you think not playing the originals hurt your experience? I made a pretty heavy effort to ensure that isn't the case, as hardly anyone actually played Duck and MJ 1 and 2.
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com
Skullduggery Studios
Metal Slime

I dunno. It just seemed like a thrown-together game, and I figured that was because I wasn't familiar with the characters.

I forgot to vote Yo Ghost. Oops.

Yo Ghost-Reborn: 1/10. Uh... what? My little sister made it to the end (although, she did skip the final fight...) and neither of us found anything. Was there even a point to this game? You face a weird intro (press spacebar a few times...), fight a few Yo Ghosts, fight a LOT of Yo Ghosts, and... nothing. Not even interactable NPCs. Did I do something wrong and caused a bug? The game thoroughly confused me.

Oh yeah. I did complete the Math Class, too. Props, James!
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I played maybe ten minutes of one of the original Duck and MJ games and this had absolutely no affect on my enjoyment of this contest's Duck. It is in no way a "thrown together game," there's a ton of content in it and it all comes together very nicely.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

Duck clearly had more effort put into it than Danse Danse. Just because a game has more people working on it does not in any way provide a guarantee that it will automatically be better. If you want to make the case that it's a better game, then get your friends to drop me a message, (or better yet) sign up and play some of these games so they can vote Danse Danse higher in the rankings.

Because as of right now, Yo Ghost is soundly beating the pants off of it. :devil:
Skullduggery Studios
Metal Slime

Wow. Thanks SO much, guys. I was in no way comparing here. I vote each game on how I feel it rated on a score of 1-10. Individually. Period.
It is in no way a "thrown together game," there's a ton of content in it and it all comes together very nicely.
I didn't say it was. I just said "it seemed". As in: this is what I feel. Personal interpretation.