Review: Curse of Vampire

Write and read reviews of games that have been uploaded to Slime Salad.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Review: Curse of Vampire

Post by Meatballsub »

Originally posted on Hamsterspeak 16...

The year is 1620, and the infamous Dracula is growing in power. Fear not, for there is one man that can stop him; The Vampire Hunter!

Curse of Vampire is one of the latest games from Moogle1 (Mogri). If the title does not give it away, you will quickly discover that it is somewhat of a spin-off of the classic NES Castlevania series. I didn’t give much notice to the initial release of this game. However, after playing it, I wish I would have. I think the game as a whole is a great example of how you can create a great game without all of the eye candy that many games today use to not only grab your attention, but in some cases, cover up issues that are elsewhere.

Curse of Vampire is a fine example of an OHR Adventure game. There are no random battles or encounters. Instead, it focuses on puzzles that must be solved in order to progress. Although most are fairly simple to identify and solve, others will leave you scratching your head if you do not pay attention to your surroundings. Much like Simon’s Quest on the NES, you can change the time of day. You will find yourself switching from day to night often as some items can only be found during specific times.

The graphics have a nice NES vibe to them. Regardless of their simplicity, it is easy to lose yourself in them and gain that same feeling you used to get when you played an old adventure game on your favorite console. The soundtrack only helps add to that feeling. Most, if not all of the music is from previous Castlevania games. The placement is superb and really helps stimulate that classic adventure feel.

During my time playing, I did not come across a single bug. I did notice one text box that had a spelling mistake, but that was it. I feel that the game was extremely polished which resulted in a great gaming experience. I am proud to say that this was accomplished not by great graphics or dialogue, but just plain old adventuring goodness. I wish that this game could be packaged with the official OHRRPGCE releases just so newcomers and veterans alike could see that a great game, when created properly, can be designed without flashy graphics and intriguing dialogue.

In conclusion, if you are looking for an epic game with superb graphics, look elsewhere. However, if you are looking for a game that is just plain fun and helps soothe those nostalgic memories of old console adventure games, download Curse of Vampire now.
Attachments
covlogo.png
covlogo.png (6.57 KiB) Viewed 1976 times
cov1.png
cov1.png (3.87 KiB) Viewed 1976 times
cov3.png
cov3.png (3.27 KiB) Viewed 1977 times
cov5.png
cov5.png (3.14 KiB) Viewed 1976 times
cov6.png
cov6.png (5.27 KiB) Viewed 1976 times