Bell of Chaos Development

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I would be delighted if anybody out there would be willing to run Bell of Chaos using the nightly build with Script Profiling enabled.

http://hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/nig ... rofile.zip

After playing for a few minutes, exit game.exe and then mail me your g_debug.txt which will contain a breakdown of the script speed.

I am especially interested in the results from anybody who feels that Bell of Chaos runs too slow on their computer.

I can use the profiling report in your g_debug.txt files to pinpoint the scripts that need the most optimization.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I have uploaded a revision for testing. The bell is now much easier to handle. When you run forward and stop suddenly, the goddess actually jerks her arm forward and gives the bell an extra fling ahead of you.

http://hamsterrepublic.com/tmp/bellchaos.zip

For me this makes the game massively easier, so much so that I am thinking about decreasing starting player HP a bit, but I wanted to get some other people's feedback first.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Yes, the bell is much friendlier. And no, I don't think starting HP needs to be lower unless you give us the option to extend it by the time we get to the first half-sister.

Also, this screenshot (I wasn't fast enough on the trigger to take a better shot) is my official request that you turn this into a Prince of Persia type game, where you can use the bell to climb to higher ledges:

If you can add links to the chain and then climb them, that would be awesome. I'm also wondering if those rings on the walls will ever be used as "swinging points."

In any case, this is definitely rivaling any classic NES game.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Sh4d0ws
Slime Knight

Post by Sh4d0ws »

It's definitely easier, but I don't think you need to cut the health.

Actually, though, I think it would be pretty cool if the player had the option to choose Either Between Less Health But a Greater chain, or More health but A shorter chain.

Or you could possibly add some sort of RPG element where the player could choose between upgrading the length of the chain versus the amount of health they have or the amount of damage the bell does.