HamsterSpeak #28 Online

Announcements that go here will appear on the front page.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

HamsterSpeak #28 Online

Post by The Wobbler »

http://superwalrusland.com/ohr/issue28/cover.html
Here we go! Not a ton of articles (No full length reviews for any 8-Bit Contest games?) but the ones we have are fairly long. Enjoy the final installment of Monsterology.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Nathan: If your review contains more than three references to TVTropes, it's time to go back and do some editing.

Baconlabs: Viridia looks amazing. There's a lot of love put into that game and it shows.

Surlaw: I really enjoyed your rundown of the contest entries. I didn't agree with your placement 100%, but it made for a good read.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

What's up with that sheep guy's article?
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

It's a thing. You'd have had to have been around.
Last edited by Mogri on Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

He used to run a magazine called Blacksheep OHR way, way back when. People used to contribute to it. I'm not particularly sure what he means by COMMUNISM in the OHRRPGCE. I suspect our hero, Constiturion will have to get to the source of this matter.
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

Nathan: If your review contains more than three references to TVTropes, it's time to go back and do some editing.
I'd be a bit more worried about the repeated use of "TL;DR" to describe the text boxes... it's been a while since I read over the Hamsterspeak submission rules, but I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a "no Internet-speak" rule in there.

(Though referring to TV Tropes in nearly every paragraph did get kinda annoying after a while, too...)

@Surlaw: Were the low speed stats in Okédoké really that bad? I've already done some tweaking to the accuracy after so many people pointed it out as a problem (especially with Scorpions), but this is the first time I've seen anyone mention the speed being too slow.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I agree with the slowness of battles.
But not with the seemingly endless donkey ride. That was funny to me.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

FnrrfYgmSchnish wrote:@Surlaw: Were the low speed stats in Okédoké really that bad? I've already done some tweaking to the accuracy after so many people pointed it out as a problem (especially with Scorpions), but this is the first time I've seen anyone mention the speed being too slow.
It was my single biggest problem with the game. If the speed and accuracy are fixed, I think it will be a lot of fun.
Spoonweaver wrote:What's up with that sheep guy's article?
He links to his old website in the article. It's great.
Mogri wrote:Nathan: If your review contains more than three references to TVTropes, it's time to go back and do some editing.
I've never read this site, so I guess I missed it. I thought the review was pretty funny, but all it even had to do was point out the game's ridiculous story to be funny. This game writes itself.

I ignored the TLDR thing, even though the phrase annoyed me, because I really didn't want him to go back and make this thing any LONGER.
Last edited by The Wobbler on Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Great article. Fenrir-Lunaris's artwork in monsterology is spectacular!

I am looking forward to Viridia now.

And thank you all for the obscene amount of votes that Don't Eat Soap received :)

Although I think that the fact that I won is eroding the OHRRPGCE community's SECRET COMMUNISM. I am hard at work figuring out how to return my prize money to the proletariat masses.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

James Paige wrote:I am hard at work figuring out how to return my prize money to the proletariat masses.
With minigolf and giant snakes with vikings in their bellies?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:
James Paige wrote:I am hard at work figuring out how to return my prize money to the proletariat masses.
With minigolf and giant snakes with vikings in their bellies?
<a href="http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtop ... >something like that</a>, yeah >:)
Momoka
Metal Slime

Post by Momoka »

It was enlightening.
Stewitus P.
Slime Knight

Post by Stewitus P. »

The monsterology was awesome, and the artwork that went along with it was fantastic to say the least. Seeing artist renditions of these legendary villains was great, and it makes me want to play as the good Prof., just to see his righteous rampage. And why does it not surprise me he visited Arfenhouse right before he snapped?
—- So anyway, how are you?
Uncommon
Metal Slime

Post by Uncommon »

Monsterology is outright Apocalyptic. I kept expecting the next line to be "And I looked, and behold a pale horse..."
Last edited by Uncommon on Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

If we had used Centaurus from Ends of the Earth, that would have probably gotten stuck in there. Actually, Surlaw originally wanted to write it like some kind of Book of Revelation too, but time and life's duties resulted in what you see today. I'm still extremely pleased though.

I am VERY surprised at the length of the Antagonist review. I am also totally scared that an entire clergy would consist of identical clones of a balding man.