Hype Up Your Game Thread

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Hashing out graphics and gameplay ideas for a game I'll be putting out on April 1st.

The game is called OHRodents, and has many playable rodent characters. Typical player character HP is 5, HP cap is 9, mouse-sized random enemies generally have 2 HP, most attacks do either 1 damage with a secondary effect (elemental damage, spread, multi-hit) or 2 damage with a drawback (higher cost, elemental damage, inaccurate, long delay).

Even though a bunch of these rodent characters were roughly human-size in their debut games, this one is going to have them be an average of 3 inches tall.

Current roster:
  • Bob and Misa from Wandering Hamster

The five Rodentian mice from Walthros/Walthrus (basing Grape in particular on the "he's fat and useless" Walthrus version, Blueberry wearing shades and asking people to help him beat the snake, and Rice having an allusion to her Walthrus personality being a dark path she could have taken if she didn't have better guidance; I guess I'm just leaning towards their Walthrus incarnations in general)

Jude the Rat from Heavenly Dreamers

Catnip from Catman

Mouse from Star Cops (renamed Officer Mouse for clarity)

Mouse from The Adventures of Bill (renamed Dr. Mouse for clarity)

Pikahcu from Arfenhouse

The Grand Zark from Pilgrimage

Radar from Radar Rat-Race

Me! Nathan Karr, depicted as a magical mouse fairy! I'm a jack of all trades and the starting character, but as soon as you get anyone else there will be the option to stop using me.
Enemy encounters with rodents in other OHR games will also generally be represented so long as I can remember them - and creatures significantly larger than rats and squirrels can even have two-digit HP and attacks strong enough to reliably one-shot an unarmored mouse! Don't try to beat the snake without wearing proper protection is what I'm saying here.
Attachments
Charbile will probably recognize who this is and what game he's from.
Charbile will probably recognize who this is and what game he's from.
Catnip Big.png (799 Bytes) Viewed 5377 times
I noticed like ten years ago how many significant characters in our community are rodents, and the number has only grown since then.
I noticed like ten years ago how many significant characters in our community are rodents, and the number has only grown since then.
OHRodents Title.png (7.34 KiB) Viewed 5377 times
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Post by TheLordThyGod »

HONOR GRAN ZARK!
...spake The Lord Thy God.
Kefyrra
Red Slime

Post by Kefyrra »

TheMan wrote:those are some great inspirations
Not to sound pretentious, but I'm kinda aiming for it to be like the Evangelion or Watchmen of Persona.
5c0urg3
Slime

Just Finished

Post by 5c0urg3 »

I just finished my first game. I hope its enjoyable. *the graphics arent the best*
Last edited by 5c0urg3 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mammothstuds
Slime Knight

Morgenstern

Post by Mammothstuds »

Once upon a time there was a kid named Mammothstuds. He was young and naive, and he had a tendency to start projects and never finish. In fact, half of his exploits never made it past the first screen.

Then, one day, everything changed when the fire nation attacked. Well, not really the fire nation. It was more like a sense of purpose mixed with a sense of guilt for the wonderful Slimesalad community who wanted to see more from him.

So, Mammothstuds got to work. He sat his arse down and started the project to end all projects.

Welcome, my friends, to my latest and greatest undertaking.

Welcome to Morgenstern.

here's a few teaser screens. the graphics for the second party member, rest assured, are placeholders. i'm not THAT lazy.
Attachments
Yay for obnoxious linearity.
Yay for obnoxious linearity.
morgenstern0011.png (10.88 KiB) Viewed 5283 times
A battle against some early-game enemies.
A battle against some early-game enemies.
morgenstern0012.png (10.53 KiB) Viewed 5283 times
Our hero looks out at the sea, contemplating his life.
Our hero looks out at the sea, contemplating his life.
morgenstern0006.png (11.29 KiB) Viewed 5284 times
Dialogue.
Dialogue.
morgenstern0010.png (9.87 KiB) Viewed 5284 times
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

@Mammothstuds: I really like the look of that battle screenshot.

@5c0urg3: welcome to SlimeSalad! Thank you for posting your game. You can post screenshots too if you like
5c0urg3
Slime

Post by 5c0urg3 »

Is it a chest?
Attachments
Screenshot (2).png
Screenshot (2).png (2.99 KiB) Viewed 5250 times
Last edited by 5c0urg3 on Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
5c0urg3
Slime

Post by 5c0urg3 »

Or a mimic bot?
Attachments
Screenshot (1).png
Screenshot (1).png (3.84 KiB) Viewed 5243 times
Last edited by 5c0urg3 on Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheMan
Red Slime

Post by TheMan »

Weird stuff
Attachments
ezgif-4-7ffaa47b52ab.gif (218.39 KiB) Viewed 5122 times
TheMan
Red Slime

Post by TheMan »

well, looks like i finally finished this game. thanks to everyone who helped w/ my inane questions on the q&a forums. it was really fun to make
Attachments
PAC-MAN0002.bmp
PAC-MAN0002.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 5060 times
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

I've been a bit of a pacman fanatic since I was a kid, so this got me very excited!

I love it so far, with a few minor issues:

*Sometimes you can just run straight through the ghosts without being killed
*If an energy pill is activated, eating another one won't do anything
*I can't seem to get past level 4

Very very cool though!
vvight.wordpress.com
TheMan
Red Slime

Post by TheMan »

im not entirely sure why the first bug happens right now, but I plan to fix the 2nd one soon (it was a feature but I removed it at the last minute because it was buggy). also the other major bugs are in the readme file
as for level 4, holding up and down seems to work better than tapping them
im glad you like it so far
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

Last night, I opened up the Vikings game again to see if I could muster the motivation to finish it. OH BOY where to begin?

[s]How about fixing all the bugs?[/s]

Mehhhhh where possible, sure, but only the absolutely critical ones that absolutely break the game and prevent progress. To this end, I'm playing through it again to make sure it CAN be completed up to the game's penultimate battle. The difference between Vikings and one of my more recent games in terms of polish is like the difference between night and day! Which is to say, it is an absolute MESS.
Attachments
Viking0000.png
Viking0000.png (49.79 KiB) Viewed 5015 times
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Try enabling full mouse support in Vikings with a current nighly build. I have a hunch it will work very well!
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

Playthrough #1 completed to the (current) end of content in ~8 hours. Of course that's me knowing where everything USEFUL is at, so I've got a bit of an edge.

The biggest change so far is that Freki now permanently joins the party BEFORE crashing through Cthulhu's lair, which was actually one of the biggest requests I've gotten in the past few years. This doesn't really change any of the later scenes, though it does make it so that she's got practically NO abilities going into the game's half-way-point dungeon. I may expand the area leading up to it a bit, throw in some extra encounters there and have a vendor sell wolf-girl friendly equipment.

Please don't mention redoing the walkabouts with walktall or custom sizes. :zombie:

The OTHER thing that I've wanted to fix for YEARS has been the game's camera placement - namely there's scenes where the "center" of the action is below where the characters are at. It's not really a problem most of the time, but when it is, it's really REALLY grating. The inconsistency of the text box placement in the game is all over the place as well. If I don't fix the camera (and let's be honest I probably won't), then moving most of the text boxes to the bottom of the screen would do more for the game's presentation than any other change regarding camera placement. At least I had the foresight to lock every text box to be the same size!

The equipment stat bonuses are all over the place. [s]Surlaw[/s] Thewobbler had the right idea to only have specific types of equipment only raise one particular stat at a time. I might do some tweaking here and there, and also re-name a bunch of equipment and items to have a more "viking" flavor to them, by pulling those names from actual norse myth. I've already renamed "magic" to "seidr magic", and... it works. Now to go back and rename all the dragons, giants, and witches to Linnorms, Jotun, and Seidr Hags. (God of War does this with all its monsters. Go play it. It's good.)

Most importantly, after so many years of not working on Vikings, I now KNOW what to do for the ending.
Attachments
I'll actually TRY to have it ready for the next Contest....
I'll actually TRY to have it ready for the next Contest....
Viking0007.png (25 KiB) Viewed 5003 times
Wonky camera placement in action.
Wonky camera placement in action.
Viking0005.png (40.41 KiB) Viewed 5003 times
...Unless you really, REALLY want it :3
...Unless you really, REALLY want it :3
Viking0006.png (41.94 KiB) Viewed 5003 times