guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Looks nice, very clean style.
vvight.wordpress.com
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

Lately I've been working on a new feature in FYS:AHS that's been planned for a long time, but not actually implemented until the past few days.

When I upload the next demo version here, there will be a new menu option -- "Notebook."

All kinds of stuff jammed in here!

"Enemies" will be a bestiary sort of menu, letting you see pictures, stats, and descriptions of every enemy you've defeated in battle so far. Right now I'm unsure if I'll keep "Items" and "Places" or not... I haven't done any work on them yet. Maybe they'll be saved for future versions, rather than crammed into the next release along with all the other new stuff.

"Journal" goes over the story so far, split up into several sections (nine for the main plot as planned -- the game currently only goes up to the 5th of these -- and a few extras for sidequests.) This will update as you reach certain milestones -- the line about giant bugs here doesn't show up until you've had your first random encounter, for example. This will be a little wonky with old save files, since it relies on some tags that didn't exist in the previous version.

"Characters" gives you some information on your party members... as well as students, faculty, and other characters you might meet along the way. This section will already be filled with entries at the start of the game; people that Eddie has already met prior to the game will already be there, while more entries for those he's meeting for the first time (like Damuru-J and #728) will be added as you come across them. Of course, these will get updated as the game progresses, too.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

I like it.

How are you handling the "bestiary"?
I have one planned, using a "classify" attack in battle with it's own elemental bit. Each enemy "classified" in battle counter attacks with an attack specific to them, which turns on a tag. The tag will unlock the entry in the bestiary menu. Is there an easier way to do this that you know of? It will require a lot of tags + attacks. How did you do this in Puckamon?

Regards.
vvight.wordpress.com
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

How are you handling the "bestiary"?
I have one planned, using a "classify" attack in battle with it's own elemental bit. Each enemy "classified" in battle counter attacks with an attack specific to them, which turns on a tag. The tag will unlock the entry in the bestiary menu. Is there an easier way to do this that you know of? It will require a lot of tags + attacks. How did you do this in Puckamon?
I haven't done the scripting or tag/attack setup for this game's bestiary just yet (got the Journal menu completely finished yesterday and have been working on Characters today), but the plan is to have every random-encounter enemy use an "on-death bequest" attack that sets a tag, and then that enemy's entry will appear in the menu if the matching tag is on. Bosses pretty much all have a tag set on after beating them already, so I'll just be using those tags again for the bestiary.

Puckamon had a different system -- I added an invisible enemy to every possible "first time you've seen this Puckamon" formation (so for example, the Robot and Gnome from the first Team Sputnik battle had one, but not the wild ones later on since you would've had to have already fought them before then) which would set a "seen" tag for that Puckamon at the start of the battle, and then used "have hero" tags for each Puckamon to replace the blank "seen but not caught" Puckadex entry with the "you've caught this one" version.

Either way definitely involves a lot of tags and attacks.
Last edited by FnrrfYgmSchnish on Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Why not use an after/before battle script? You can look up the enemies in the formation.

e.g.
http://hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/doc ... tformation
http://hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/doc ... nformation

Screenies look neat btw. I love bonus content.
Last edited by SwordPlay on Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Is not that command for looking up specific enemies in a formation? "Getenemyinformation" would be a more useful command in this case, though it doesn't exist. The script would get quite complicated once you factor in all the tags and/or "add menu item" commands.
vvight.wordpress.com
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

I think you would have 1 big list of enemies to check off, and check it after every battle. Simple way.
edit: rather than a list, you'd probably use a "for" to loop through your enemy IDs automatically.

I think you would "get count" for the enemy in formation to see if you fought at least 1 enemy of that ID.

Or you could check every slot with "formation slot enemy (formation, slot)"

? (not sure tbh)

But there doesn't seem to be a way of making sure you killed a specific enemy. Only to check if you won the battle or not.
You might work a system where you have to fight x number of enemies to get it ticked off, I guess? Or invisible/hidden items dropped by invisible/hidden enemies or something.

Actually, using tags in battle is probably a better way.
Last edited by SwordPlay on Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Thanks, I like it. I'll consider it.
vvight.wordpress.com
Gaplan
Red Slime

Post by Gaplan »

My demo is coming in the end of this mouth. :kamina:
Attachments
ds.png
ds.png (33.34 KiB) Viewed 3500 times
Last edited by Gaplan on Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

That looks great! Heroes, Monsters, Background. Look very nice! :)
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Oh I love that! The enemies are very charming. I look forward to playing it
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Nice ! Care to share any more information?
vvight.wordpress.com
woahpotato
Red Slime

Post by woahpotato »

reminds me of jjba in a sense
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I'm amazed!

Fnrrf: the text on those notepad pages is very low contrast. It's even lighter than the ruled lines! I definitely recommend darkening it. But, nice idea.
Gaplan
Red Slime

Post by Gaplan »

Bob the ­Hamster: Thank you, the background looks even better in the game, it's 5 frames animated. It was made by my friend, so commend him on that. :D

guo: I didn't wanted to tell anythyng yet, but if you asked, than i will :) . The game will be about a few teenagers, who learned that they can "wake up" in their dreams, and even get together and explore it's world, like in some kind of online game. The demo will contain the prologue and the first dungeon. We work on this game in a team of 2 people, me and my friend.

woahpotato: LOL, one of my friends told me that too when i showed it to him. He said that the blue haired guy reminds him of a Jonathan Joestar, and the white haired guy looks like Dio. But if you mean the bizarreness of the monsters, i'd say that they were kinda inspired by Shin Megami Tensei series.

I'm glad that you guys liked my screenshot, so stay tuned for more! :angel:
Last edited by Gaplan on Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sorry for bad english :v: