Post by kylekrack »

Love the a e s t h e t i c
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Mammothstuds
Slime Knight

Post by Mammothstuds »

Heya. It's been a while.

My previous game, Successor's Legacy, is on indefinite hiatus. I got about half of it done, but I can only waste so much time on a project which I ultimately feel is too generic for its own good.

I'm working on something new now. A game called "Mirrored Soul."

You play as a grizzly detective trying to solve a mystery - people have been disappearing, and odd, mirror-like objects have been popping up all over town...

The gameplay is like SMT in that you can get the monsters in your party, but rather than recruiting them in battle, they drop an item (their "soul") upon defeat which, if you get, say, three, you can expend to have the monster join your party. You can also combine souls to create new monsters.

There are 2 worlds: the shady, urban hub city (the "real world", if you will) and the myriad surreal, Yume Nikki-esque "mirror worlds" which you will enter. Obviously most monster encounters are in the mirror worlds, but there could be some troublemakers out there in the city as well...

Here are some of the monsters you will encounter. I'm not sure if this will end up the same as Successor's Legacy where I give up, but I have a feeling this'll be the one that I finish.

...and, yeah, okay, I may reuse some assets. I'll try to keep that to a minimum, though.
Attachments
Monsters.png
Monsters.png (5.38 KiB) Viewed 5107 times
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I like the sprites. You have great artistic vision, if that makes sense. Some people can make hyper-realistic drawings that still come off feeling bland because of a lack of heart. You definitely don't have that problem.

It's sad to hear that you don't plan on finishing Successor's Legacy. I completely understand your feelings on it, but in my opinion, you should finish something if you can. Regardless of what it is, there's a special something to be learned from finishing something, rather than going halfway. At least, I'm certain that finishing Successor's Legacy will not be a waste of time. If you finish and balance it, I'll gladly play it. I enjoyed the first two areas a lot when I played it.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Game continues to exist. Occasionally becomes slightly larger.
Attachments
What could this mean?
What could this mean?
Not Hasims Rug.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
Artifacting intentional; too bad I didn't save the high-res original version that lacked it.
Artifacting intentional; too bad I didn't save the high-res original version that lacked it.
Nathan's Quest Title.bmp (187.55 KiB) Viewed 5030 times
Wait a minute, that castle has windows? Made of glass? What madness is this?
Wait a minute, that castle has windows? Made of glass? What madness is this?
Nathan Quest0077.png (10.84 KiB) Viewed 5031 times
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

No in-engine progress tonight, but I did draw concept art for the eight playable characters, love interest, and first villain while sitting around at a bar tonight.

Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

A screenshot from my wip Halloween game. It's your typical story of boy meets inappropriately dressed middle aged momwolf and goofy grinning ghost. Also shown: the main character's abilities come from trick or treating candy from the enemies. (The other two are more support mages)
Attachments
preview.png
preview.png (55.36 KiB) Viewed 4839 times
Last edited by Idontknow on Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Working as intended!
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

Okay, time for me to put-up or shut-up for what I've got in-store for all you fuzzy hamsters and hamsterettes out there. And I'm totally ripping off Gizmog's format for this because it's easy reading.

What's the idea?
I've been playing a boatload of Final Fantasy Brave Exvius, and wondered if it were possible to create an OHR game that effectively borrows the two biggest concepts in that game - namely the ability to progress the story entirely through accessing a menu, and the fact that your recruit-able party members join via a "lottery/prize-ball" type of system (hereafter referred to as a "Gatcha"). The first concept, the menu-driven story progression is accomplished by accessing a Grimoire/Tome/Spellbook to summon random encounters that the player would have to defeat, broken up every so many levels by a scripted boss encounter. The second is done by using items in the player's inventory to 'call' the spirits to join their party, (though could also be accomplished through the spellbook as well, now that I think about it).

But.. but WHY?
As a proof of concept, and also as some preliminary work for a game down-the-line that uses much more recognizable OHRRPGCE heroes. A few of you remember a game from way back in the Castleparadox days that had heroes from Wingedmene, and Housemaster as playable characters, sort of a weird OHR dot.hack game of sorts. I think that could work, but only if the focus of the game is to pretty much completely fill up the playable character roster with as many collectible OHRRPGCE heroes as possible (until the limit's hit?).

OK, fine, but what's done?
At this point? Everything but the ending credits and some NPC dialogue trees. This is one of those games where I got ALL the graphics done ahead of time, and the fact that you don't even NEED to explore long twisting dungeons or huge maps filled with NOTHING has led to a very fast turnaround during its development phase. This is literally a game where more time was spent balancing out 30+ heroes stats and abilities than was spent actually drawing them.

So whats the story?
There's a bunch of familiar faces from the Timestream Saga series of games, and that's somewhat intentional because this is a pseudo-prequel. It starts off with furry wolf-girl Hati babysitting her little brother Kotaru by playing some familiar terrible games that it's implied she made herself when she was 15 or something. Wolf-mom comes running down the stairs and says "hey, take your brother trick-or-treating around the neighborhood, or you can clean up the mess you made in the bathroom". So off she goes, little kid in tow, meeting a bunch of weirdoes who only give out a single piece of candy (and your boyfriend), until you go and visit your aunts. They're witches. [s]Or lesbians.[/s]That's what dad says anyway. Uh-oh, looks like your little brother got scared and ran off into a clearly not-child-proof haunted house unsupervised. Looks like you're the only one who can rescue him, because YOU'RE the adult around here.

This doesn't sound like a spooky Halloween game at all.
Shush, you.

Are you sure this isn't referencing anything?
Berserk.

Skeletons on wheels?
Ohdeargodwhy.

What're the battles like?
They're partly inspired by witch.rpg and Festivus, where the party's at the bottom of the screen and enemies above them. Your party itself is composed of various spooks and spirits, each of which has their own particular combat roles such as healer, buffer, fighter, and so on, then Hati herself who can do a little bit of everything to make up for missing gaps in your arsenal. In a sense, its a natural evolution of No More Villains and War on Xmas where the emphasis is in finding useful ability synergies to overcome each encounter.

What's this about hero "classes" and "tiers"?
There's essentially six different roles the summoned spooks can take - Melee units who are your big dumb fighter, Thief units who specialize in stealing resources from foes, Supporters and Saboteurs who control the flow of combat by augmenting your party or alternatively by wrecking your foes, Healers whose job is solely to keep your allies healthy, and Mages whose purpose is to locate and exploit enemy weaknesses once they've found them. Each one of these has no less than four tiers, each of which expand the available array of abilities each class has access to, as well as providing improved maximum statistics at level 20 and a wider selection of weapons that each unit can equip to further customize them. Thus a higher tier mage spook may be able to equip weapons that emphasize a greater physical attack proficiency, whereas a lower ranked mage could only specialize in magic boosting equipment.

Is what'shisface still a shopkeeper in this?
Yes. It's a running gag at this point.

Boobs. *Giggle* *Snort*
Shush, you.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Last edited by Willy Elektrix on Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I love that trailer for void pyramid.
Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

Spoonweaver wrote:I love that trailer for void pyramid.
Thanks! And thanks for voting too.
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Yeah, I'll definitely be wrapping this up tonight or tomorrow.
Attachments
witch20007.png
witch20007.png (6.82 KiB) Viewed 4646 times
Last edited by Feenicks on Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Ah, something revealed! (This halloween season has been awfully quiet.) Gasp, another witch game? Looks promising!

I notice that the top-left corner of the box outline seems to be doubled up. Is that something you couldn't manage to avoid due to the way that box borders are drawn? In that case I would expect you would have a similar problem on the bottom side too. I was not completely happy with the way they are pieced together.
Last edited by TMC on Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Wasn't sure the best place to post about this, but I guess it's hype. Both Mr. Triangle's Adventure and Surfasaurus have been greenlit for Steam. Thanks to anybody who helped vote it in.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Congratulations!!!
vvight.wordpress.com
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Hopefully I can spur myself into working more on one or several of my games

You know, between my vanity projects, the games people enjoyed in partial form, and the game I'm making for the multicart.