Hype Up Your Game Thread

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

Yeah, I think I can see what you're talking about. It's that dangly hair's fault (again!)--the way it is now, the right side of her face does look a bit lopsided if you look at it the right way, but if that hair wasn't covering up part of the bottom of her face it wouldn't look like that.

I'll probably change her face's shape slightly so that isn't a problem.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
Shizuma
Slime Knight

Post by Shizuma »

Some design choices are just horrible for walkabouts, it's true. But anyway, I agree with Paige, the middle one looks the best somehow.
mjohnson092088
Metal Slime

Post by mjohnson092088 »

Shizuma wrote:So like, you move it to the side next to or right over one of her eyes, then it isn't stuck right in the middle of her face. There's no way to just redraw it where it is and make it better, you need to change something or she comes off looking dumb.
agreed. those little details can be a pain. (belts, hair(s), sashes, buttons, tire irons, fu man chus...)

my advice would be to make it shorter or off to the side a bit more. on the other hand, you could do the opposite and make it bigger, or thicker, so it obscures her face a bit, like maybe just one side, or an eye, whatever. you get the picture. or you could make the strand shorter and/or thinner.
James Paige wrote:Personally I like the middle walkabout. The hair really is obtrusive, but I get the feeling it is *supposed* to be obtrusive. Like she has the idea stuck in her head that it looks cool, and so she insists on wearing it that way, in spite of the inconvenience of having it in front of her face all the time.
if that happens to be the case, i would go shorter and thinner. or maybe just shorten it to the bridge of her nose, so it curls to an end between her nose and left eye rather than her neck. that's still long enough to get in the way of her vision. and you could make it thinner by getting rid of some of the dark pixels. a strand of hair or two wouldn't cast a noticeable shadow, if that's what those pixels are representing.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

BAH!

Less talk, more screenshots.

work in progress. This screenshot may not reflect a scene from the final game.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Voltire
Slime Knight

Post by Voltire »

A sexy tree from my game I may enter in the HOT OHR2:

http://img853.imageshack.us/i/tree.jpg/

(Sorry, just a link. I can never get my uploads in screenshots, just everything on google images.)

Edit:Here we go!
Last edited by Voltire on Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

That's a pretty nice tree.

Oh and nathan, the swimsuits frighten me.
mjohnson092088
Metal Slime

Post by mjohnson092088 »

Spoonweaver wrote:That's a pretty nice tree.

Oh and nathan, the swimsuits frighten me.
agreed on both subjects. lol
Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy... So here's some lunchmeat... Sandwich, maybe?
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Spoonweaver wrote:Oh and nathan, the swimsuits frighten me.
What frightened me when I drew them was how good Ken looked in his. Really, though, I only added this because I remember seeing so many games where there's really powerful bikinis and dresses available as armor, but only female characters can wear them.

I kept thinking "No, no! That's not how it works!" I decided that if I ever put anything like that in a game, I'd have to give the option to put it on guys too. (Of course, Maces Wild is more realistic than all my other games, so the bikini sucks).

So it's not that guys can't wear womens' clothing, it's only that they don't want to; and as the player, you can change that.
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

Mr. Karr, I admire your philosophy and gender-neutral standpoint towards this issue. It's kind of remarkable now that you've remarked on it.
Of course, if it were me, I'd opt to give them a somewhat different swimsuit well-suited for particularly furry persons.
mjohnson092088
Metal Slime

Post by mjohnson092088 »

Nathan Karr wrote:What frightened me when I drew them was how good Ken looked in his. Really, though, I only added this because I remember seeing so many games where there's really powerful bikinis and dresses available as armor, but only female characters can wear them.

I kept thinking "No, no! That's not how it works!" I decided that if I ever put anything like that in a game, I'd have to give the option to put it on guys too. (Of course, Maces Wild is more realistic than all my other games, so the bikini sucks).

So it's not that guys can't wear womens' clothing, it's only that they don't want to; and as the player, you can change that.
xenosaga 3 had swimsuits for everyone. they sucked as armor, but they had other special effects, aside from changing your appearance. of course, the guys didn't wear bikinis... that IS scary. lol i wouldn't worry so much about realism in a game where a fox/wolf/dog thing is the main character, though.
Baconlabs wrote:Mr. Karr, I admire your philosophy and gender-neutral standpoint towards this issue. It's kind of remarkable now that you've remarked on it.
Of course, if it were me, I'd opt to give them a somewhat different swimsuit well-suited for particularly furry persons.
excellent. most excellent.
Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy... So here's some lunchmeat... Sandwich, maybe?
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

mjohnson092088 wrote: xenosaga 3 had swimsuits for everyone. they sucked as armor,
I've never played that game. Heck, even though the name sounds a little familiar, I'm not sure if I've even heard of it.
mjohnson092088 wrote: lol i wouldn't worry so much about realism in a game where a fox/wolf/dog thing is the main character, though.
Realism was unintentional (I was going for gritty and dark, and this is as far as I can get), and it has some only in comparison to everything else I've ever made. Besides, there's all kinds of realism, and you need one or two to make anything even remotely comprehensible.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Nathan Karr wrote:I was going for gritty and dark
Mogri wrote:neon coyote
mjohnson092088
Metal Slime

Post by mjohnson092088 »

Nathan Karr wrote:I've never played that game. Heck, even though the name sounds a little familiar, I'm not sure if I've even heard of it.
it's a prequel to xenogears. the third is my favorite. it also sucks the least in everyone's opinion. but it doesn't make much sense if you haven't played the other two. then again, the entire idea of the virgin mary being reincarnated in an alien-killing android doesn't make much sense anyway. you'd just have to play it, really.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Mogri wrote:
Nathan Karr wrote:I was going for gritty and dark
Mogri wrote:neon coyote
Clearly, I don't do gritty and dark well.