2009 OHR 8-bit Contest!

Announcements that go here will appear on the front page.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Meatballsub wrote:I am wondering what ability will make the "slop" sound :???:
The Sewer Sludge's main attack, for one. :gonk:
Rabbit looks a little flat, though, particularly when she's bowing.
Yeah, I couln't think of a better "getting hit" pose for her, so I just used the skew tool to bend her top half by 25 degrees.
I look forward to playing the game.
Thanks. I look forward to playing the other entries.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

We are over halfway there, folks. How's it going?

Remember, Sunday June 7th @ 11:59PM EST is the absolute last time that you can submit your games to be included for the voting phase, which will follow shortly after.
(+[]::)<GBA
Slime Knight

Post by (+[]::)<GBA »

i just want to nom on stuff!!!
Momoka
Metal Slime

Post by Momoka »

Meatballsub wrote:We are over halfway there, folks. How's it going?

Remember, Sunday June 7th @ 11:59PM EST is the absolute last time that you can submit your games to be included for the voting phase, which will follow shortly after.
Oh crap, I utterly forgot about this :o. I think I still have time to salvage a decent game out of this. I have a bad habit of dropping an idea once I get a better one, though. Execution, Momoka!

Hopefully though, my job search will end tomorrow, and my free time will increase a bit.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I just released Light Fight! Hope you like it!
Momoka
Metal Slime

Post by Momoka »

Tch. I think I'm backing out. I've got nothing worth showing.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

That's too bad, momoka. You should still try to finish whatever it was though.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Yeah, maybe you won't be able to put it in the contest, but you should still make it anyway. The more 8-bit games there are, the better.

Anyway, I just uplaoded Maces Wild. The game was really rushed, and it shows.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Rurouni Catholic wrote:Anyway, I just uplaoded Maces Wild. The game was really rushed, and it shows.
This game wins the award for most elaborate use of "sticking gameplay instructions that everyone and his mother knows about inherently in a training NPC." I think it literally took half the total game time I spent playing just to read them. If not for the fact that I already know how to play a standard OHR RPG, I'd think these instructions were very well written. The only thing I'd lose is that last end-of-training box where the robot says "That would be annoying." Coming out of a robot's mouth (or whatever he has passing as a mouth) it just sounds wrong.

I see you experimented with advanced NPCs (the construction worker mainly). Good job. Just to let you know, it is possible to create such an NPC and still keep him on track without walling him in. Just highlight the "Do Not Face Player" bitset and he'll continue on his track. I only bring this up because the wallmap over empty land is distracting. Give it a try.

And you're right. This game feels rushed. But anything that uses "Dare to Be Stupid" as its disco song can't be all bad.

My only other comment is that I find the robot's weak arms versus Kenneth's power hit kinda skewed. Even a reserved robot can bring the pain harder than a strongman.

I'll bet if you fix this stuff and rerelease before Sunday, you might do a little better with it.
momoka wrote:Tch. I think I'm backing out. I've got nothing worth showing.
If you have anything functional in the game, then it's worth showing. It might not do well in the ranking, but at least it can be a part of something. I say don't back out. You got three days. Just tighten your story to something "demo length" and worry about the rest another time. I Made Dis was built from scratch and released in six hours. And it still remains an OHR classic. Just use some foresight and the rest will fall into place.
Spoonweaver wrote:I just released Light Fight! Hope you like it!
I did like it, though it doesn't seem like much of a challenge if you take the top edge and fight from there. The hard part is in not confusing your buttons.

I also think achievement goals would make the game more interesting. As of now it's nothing more than a flashy beat-em-up simulator.

In the meantime, I'm most looking forward to your slime game.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

[quote="Pepsi Ranger]If not for the fact that I already know how to play a standard OHR RPG, I'd think these instructions were very well written. The only thing I'd lose is that last end-of-training box where the robot says "That would be annoying." [/quote]
Yeah, I was starting to think that was wrong after my first few times testing it. I think I'll do that.
I see you experimented with advanced NPCs (the construction worker mainly). Good job. Just to let you know, it is possible to create such an NPC and still keep him on track without walling him in. Just highlight the "Do Not Face Player" bitset and he'll continue on his track. I only bring this up because the wallmap over empty land is distracting. Give it a try.
I tried that at first. If the player walks in fron of him, the box disappears and he stars moving in the other direction(or, if stopped the other way, he mysteriously pulls a box out of the player).
My only other comment is that I find the robot's weak arms versus Kenneth's power hit kinda skewed. Even a reserved robot can bring the pain harder than a strongman.
Part of the point was that this particular robot has only a single, puny arm. I guess I could make him a little stronger than what he is now(I've already increases his strength once; it was originally 2).
I'll bet if you fix this stuff and rerelease before Sunday, you might do a little better with it.
I think I can fix all that early tomorrow.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

I tried that at first. If the player walks in fron of him, the box disappears and he stars moving in the other direction(or, if stopped the other way, he mysteriously pulls a box out of the player).
You just need to add a conditional that checks the NPCs "X" position. If he turns at the end points, then awesome. If he turns anywhere else, then the script should deny the exchange of boxes. You can use a timer and a global variable to keep track of his position at all times.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I'm guessing it's not a scripted guy, but instead a guy who's right walking picture has no box, and left walking has a box.
Meatballsub
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Meatballsub »

Just a reminder folks, submit your entries for voting BEFORE 12AM EST next Monday (11:50ish PM EST this Sunday at the latest).

Make sure you pm me a link to your game. I may not have time to dig around for your games this weekend. With that being said, send it, or it just may not show up for voting.

:zombie:
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Meatballsub wrote:Just a reminder folks, submit your entries for voting BEFORE 12AM EST next Monday (11:50ish PM EST this Sunday at the latest).
9:00 PM Sunday for Californians :)
camdog
Gameathon 2009 Winner

Post by camdog »

My entry:

The Slime Wars