The Pope's War on Science - Review & Video First Impression

Write and read reviews of games that have been uploaded to Slime Salad.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

The Pope's War on Science - Review & Video First Impress

Post by Bob the Hamster »

This one had me worried before I started. With a title like that, there was a lot that could go wrong taste-wise. However, as it turned out, I did have some good fun with this.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rN_daTPBgIE&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rN_daTPBgIE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

As I said in the video, the joke behind this game really makes me think about the widespread tendency for people to really polarize religion and science. I think this game exaggerates that polarization almost so far that it isn't fair to call the humor satire (subtlety is (arguably) an important feature of satire)

Maybe this game made me laugh even harder than it would for other people, because each time I saw a "fake fossil" or an "unreliable carbon dating" enemy pop up in battle, I had memories of real religious pamphlets and real church sermons to associate with them.

So I'll end by saying to you, Pope Pius DaNius Baginas the um... er... twenty-second... Stop your war on science! Science is not the enemy!

EDIT: And how can I forget to mention how much fun the music was! The theme was great. What band is that? The <a href="http://www.viruscomix.com/page480.html">Nazi Pope Skeletons?</a>
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Wed May 06, 2009 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
8bifit
Slime Knight
Location: In the thoughts and dreams of all the world's children.

Post by 8bifit »

First off:

X = 10, I = 1. So X + I + I = 12.

Thanks for the review! It was great getting actual reactions in real-time. Fantastic idea! I'm glad it wasn't too offensive. And I'm glad you enjoyed the Periodic Table fight. It's cool that such a stupid little game would actually be thought provoking. I mean, I got you to quote Hawking? Really? That is awesome!

Also, the music was all me. I am sure that it is apparent that that is where 95% of the effort of making the game went. :gonk:
(+[]::)<GBA
Slime Knight

Post by (+[]::)<GBA »

released just in time for angels and demons eh?
Uncommon
Metal Slime

Post by Uncommon »

No. No one cares about Dan Brown and his dumb books that are dumb.