Word of Mouth Music!

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

SFT > Bone Machine by far. Rain Dogs is his best IMO, but if you don't like SFT you probably won't get into Waits at all.

Fear of Music is my favorite Talking Heads too, but Remain in Light is much more accessible.

I hate Wowee Zowee. It was either CR, CR or Slanted & Enchanted. I think CR, CR will appeal to a broader spectrum of people than S&E. haven't heard Terror Twilight.

Ween have nothing on TMBG as far as I'm concerned. :p

I like Nick Drake a lot. Bryter Layter is my favorite, but Pink Moon is good too and Five Leaves Left is acceptable. If you don't like one of them you'll probably hate all three.

Marc Bolan is such a horrible songwriter! Can't get over it (and he doesn't grow on me like the Ramones). Normally dumb lyrics don't ruin music for me, but in his case they do. :(
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com
msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

That's interesting that I feel the exact opposite of you in regards to the Heads. I'd think people would have more trouble getting into the essentially one-chord, seemingly structureless (but they're not!!) songs of Remain In Light. Ah well, they're both really good albums.

I can't believe you hate WZ! I'd still really recommend TT to you though if you have any interest in Malkmus at all; in some ways it is the exact opposite of WZ, in that WZ is probably their loosest and least structured album I think, while TT is certainly their most structured and well-produced (Nigel Goodrich, I believe).
I am Srime
Uncommon
Metal Slime

Post by Uncommon »

While Bone Machine's good, I'd stand behind Swordfishtrumbones any day. That one or Alice. As for where I'd tell someone to start with The Polyphonic Spree, I'd definitely say Together We're Heavy. Their new one is great, but it has to start with TWH.
msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

TWH is what drew me in initially. The new one is overall more energetic and interesting, but less beautiful. Just my opinion.

What are some thoughts on Deerhoof and Of Montreal here? I've only gotten tastes of both, but they both sound really good. I usually get disappointed when I hear about great new pop bands (I thought the Arcade Fire was abysmal), but these sound like they are going to rock my world. Has anyone checked out Panda Bear?
I am Srime
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

Can't comment on Deerhoof.

Of Montreal are too gimmick for me--they sound like a bad techno band trying to be Neutral Milk Hotel.

I liked Arcade Fire's first album, but Neon Bible is just pretentious garbage.

And Panda Bear... well let's just say, I saw redeeming qualities in Of Montreal, but not in these guys.

My favorite indie pop of the year is Menomena's Friend and Foe.
msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

Of Montreal are too gimmick for me--they sound like a bad techno band trying to be Neutral Milk Hotel
Really? I don't think they sound like NMH at all. They sound a lot more psychedelic to me (maybe a reason you're not digging on them as much). I don't think I'll ever like any of their albums as much as Aeroplane, but I could say the same about a LOT of bands.

I never had any desire to hear Neon Bible after spending money on the mess that is Funeral. I have another release that seems to be a self-titled EP - just as bad if not worse.

I have an early Deerhoof album which is interesting, but not particularly good. Music sounds surprisingly like Captain Beefheart, except with a little Japanese girl singing in an annoying voice. None of the Captain's humor either. Nevertheless I heard a few tracks from the newer album and I think I'm really going to like it.
I am Srime
Uncommon
Metal Slime

Post by Uncommon »

I have heard a little Deerhoof. They caught my attention, at the very least.
rubberbandiv
Slime

Post by rubberbandiv »

msw188 wrote:Of Montreal
I have Icons, Abstract Thee and personally, I really like it. It's only an EP so I don't know about the quality of their full albums.

Take into account that all I've heard from NMH is In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, but I don't think they sound like NMH at all.
msw188 wrote:Deerhoof
BUNNY BUNNY BUNNY BUNNY BUNNY BUNNY

I CAN'T GET YOU, LA LA LA LA

but seriously, I really like Friend Opportunity. It's a bit more coherent and accessible than their other albums. I'm listening to "The Perfect Me" right now at absurdly high volume, and it's pretty awesome. They have a way of playing with tempo and meter that makes even their more "standard" sounding songs unpredictable.

Also, I've recently decided that I like Gogol Bordello.
Teapot.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

JSH357 wrote: Fela Kuti - Expensive slime
I haven't heard that song, but I have a DVD of Femi Kuti (Fela's son) in concert that I am watching right now.
Uncommon
Metal Slime

Post by Uncommon »

rubberbandiv wrote:Take into account that all I've heard from NMH is In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
That's most everyone, and any non-Aeroplane doesn't really sound like much worth listening to.
What I've heard of Of Montreal (which was mostly sought out due to the recommendations not only here but also from the cute girl at work) doesn't sound so NMH to me either, but JSH has the bad habit of complaining that everyone sounds like someone else. I had to convince him that T.Rex wasn't in fact ripping off Bowie, and if anything, it was the other way around.
I would definitely second msw's classification of the as psychedelic, which is a genre I've always enjoyed.

I am currently listening to Deerhoof for the first time in too long and deciding that I wasn't so much intrigued as kind've-digging-it. It mixes the noise in a pretty melodic way, not the same way that drew me to Sonic Youth, but a way that's fun to listen to.

Speaking of noise, lemme get a show of hands: who else doesn't hate Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music?
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

Oh, come on, Uncy. Half of the comparisons I make are totally just made so I can argue when I know nothing about the subject at hand (INTERNET!).

ITAOTS isn't the only NHM worth hearing! On Avery Island is a good album too! ("Song Against Sex," "Naomi," "Where You'll Find Me Now..." all great songs!) It is definitely not as good as ITAOTS though (but what is?).

I've meant to check out Metal Machine Music.
Uncommon
Metal Slime

Post by Uncommon »

I swear you said the exact opposite of OAI a year ago.
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

Uncommon wrote:I swear you said the exact opposite of OAI a year ago.
What, do you have the same opinion of all the music you first heard a year ago?
Uncommon
Metal Slime

Post by Uncommon »

I dunno, it usually seems to depreciate more often than appreciate.
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

Uncommon wrote:I dunno, it usually seems to depreciate more often than appreciate.
Yeah, usually. But there are several albums I've only truly started to appreciate after countless listens.