Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

It really wasn't much of a world map from a gameplay perspective. Kind of like Chrono Trigger. In fact, I make a lot of similar complaints about these two games, although Chrono Trigger wins for me because it doesn't have the timing-thing in battle.

To try to turn the thread back on course after I so blatantly led it astray, let me propose a new question: which returning characters do you hope stay the same in the new Smash? Which would you like to see altered, how, and why?
I am Srime
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

According to this thread, most every character that was featured at E For All play very differently from their Melee counter parts, with some characters being buffed and nerfed depending on how they did in Melee.

It was joked that Mario was "the new Shiek", because he had a useless Down + B.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

I'm with JSH on this one. The timing-based system is excellent and the encounters system is perfect for a Mario RPG.

Superstar Saga takes what Mario RPG does well and does it perfectly. If you own a GBA or DS, you have no excuse not to have played it.

Anyone who doesn't think Chrono Trigger was a fantastic game is obviously from a bizarro dimension, though, so I'm sure you won't share my views.
Fortis
Super Slime

Post by Fortis »

Surlaw wrote: Samus and Ridley are the exact same height in the original (So is Kraid, actually) and Ridley is a Samus and a half tall in Super Metroid.
You make a good point: Bowser's size varies wildly throughout the Mario games (just like Ridley's does throughout the Metroid games), and they put him in SSB:M.
Please read Blasphemous Saga Fantasy okay thanks
Shadowiii
Slime Knight

Post by Shadowiii »

Back on an old topic, but I am completely for Super Mario RPG. And don't get Mr. B started about it...it was like his favoritest game ever for quite some time.
I actually started replaying it a while back and enjoyed it just as much as the first time. That game has some damn good music and humor in it.

Although, I didn't find Geno memoriable. I liked Mallow a lot, but I couldn't see a fat blob thing being a ssbb character.
Luigi is almost as sexy as me!
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

msw188 wrote:To try to turn the thread back on course after I so blatantly led it astray, let me propose a new question: which returning characters do you hope stay the same in the new Smash? Which would you like to see altered, how, and why?
I just want Bowser to not be completely terrible any more. I love the character, but playing as him against anyone competent was always suicide.
Mogri wrote:Superstar Saga takes what Mario RPG does well and does it perfectly. If you own a GBA or DS, you have no excuse not to have played it.
Superstar Saga's main problem is that it made the timing TOO easy. I got through most of the battles in the game with no damage and only the final boss was challenging at all.

It was really awesome to see the Koopa Kids again though. Now there's someone who deserve to be assist trophies.
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

Surlaw wrote:I just want Bowser to not be completely terrible any more. I love the character, but playing as him against anyone competent was always suicide.
You're in for a treat. Apparently he's been buffed up a LOT. Also, he isn't the slowest character in the game anymore.
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com
msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

I read as much of that post as I could last night (KM's referral), but I was never into "competetive play" for Melee so half of their vocabulary was unknown to me (no clue what DI meant, seemed to indicate some kind of dodging???). But it was cool to read about the stages and characters from their perspective. I was a pretty big Peach fan in Melee, so I'm glad to hear she's similar. Her down smash was too powerful in Melee (although that was good for me!) so it's probably for the best that they toned it down. I don't remember reading about Bowser too much, but as a weird side note, my friend and I used to play a weird match where we would take turns as Bowser and Mario. In order for Mario to win, he HAD to kill Bowser using the turnaround throw (a la Mario 64, so to speak). It was probably the only way we found to have fun playing as/against Bowser.
I am Srime
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

DI = Directional influence. This just means, after you've been caught in a combo or knocked away, you can hold a direction button to float in that direction. No idea why they make such a big deal out of this obvious mechanic.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

They could easily put in some of the Paper Mario characters (or Paper Mario himself) as a character. When pressing the air dodge button he could flip himself, haha.

And there were some really cool bad guys in SuperStar Saga that should make it into this game.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

Superstar Saga's main problem is that it made the timing TOO easy. I got through most of the battles in the game with no damage and only the final boss was challenging at all.
Hmm... I had some trouble with the timing in Brothers in Time to where it was challenging. That, or I suck, heh.
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

It's OK, Kitten. Partners in Time was a disgrace anyway.
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

But I loved Parters in Time. ;_;
Fieron
Red Slime

Post by Fieron »

one of my biggest issues with this game is all the Mother 3 stuff

i mean COME ON! they do this like they actually made an English version of the game!

Now i can't say for sure if they are going to go english with this game or not, its just that if your going to have all this stuff based on one game it shoudl be at least more well known or even PLAYED in english
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

The only reason I'm upset about that is that I've been waiting for Mother 3 for the last 13 years of my life. Nintendo's really dropped the ball on that one. :/ Can't wait for the fan translation to get finished.