Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

I predict Ridley will be in as a boss in adventure mode. As much as I want him playable, it just seems too likely for it not to happen...
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Twinspiration wrote:And on the thought of new Smash Bros, I've been wishing for Mallow and Geno to show up for too long.
But Enix just won't let go of them! D:[/color]
That's not the problem, Geno had a cameo in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. The problem is that outside of a small percent of people they have no nostalgia value and no historical importance.
JSH357 wrote:I predict Ridley will be in as a boss in adventure mode. As much as I want him playable, it just seems too likely for it not to happen...
No reason he can't be both. He already has a playable stage and his theme song in the game, and I'm sure they could just modify Charizard for his moveset.
Only One In All
Metal Slime

Post by Only One In All »

Surlaw wrote:
JSH357 wrote:Jiggs had BETTER still be in! She was one of my mains in Melee.
She's too popular for them to remove her. I am certain she'll be in the game, along with Luigi and Captain Falcon. I don't think they'll remove any of the original Smash 64 characters, except maybe Ness since Lucas seems to be pretty similar.
I sure wish they'd put up some confirmation of this being true! I didn't see her shown on their character list or anything. Jigglypuff is my best character in the regular and Melee, and if they take her out, I'll be devastated! :gonk:
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Fortis wrote:
Mogri wrote:Ridley's a she.
Since when? Any and all information I can find says Ridley is male, and I'm pretty sure that the pirate data entries in Metroid Prime about Ridley refer to it using "he".
Ack! It would seem you are correct. Why did I think this?

Geno would make a good assist trophy. I hardly think he'd make for a playable character, though.
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

A while back Sakurai said he wouldn't be revealing a lot of the unlockable characters. That might explain why Jiggs, Luigi, Falco, etc. have not been confirmed.

On the other hand, it seems odd that Snake and Sonic have been confirmed then. Must have been to increase the hype.

I'd love to have Geno in the game, though it isn't likely. (Didn't Nintendo only release like 2000 copies of SMRPG? Some strangely low number, IIRC)
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

JSH357 wrote:I'd love to have Geno in the game, though it isn't likely. (Didn't Nintendo only release like 2000 copies of SMRPG? Some strangely low number, IIRC)
I know it's not the most reliable site in the world but according to VGChartz it sold 2.14 million copies, so no, it wasn't very low. (Source: http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=4439)
msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

Really? I don't remember having any problem finding SMRPG. A vastly overrated game by the way, but that's a topic for a different thread I suppose, where you can all gang up and hate me for a little while.

I think Ridley is a little too big to be a playable boss; even in the original Metroid he was almost twice as big as Samus if I remember right (although that was a LONG time ago). I guess some could say the same about Bowser, but he always seems only vaguely bigger than Mario. Ridley gives off the impression of being really big to me, and I'd be disappointed to play as a 1:5 Ridley replica.

Yeah Jigglypuff is loads of fun to play both as and against, even though I was never too good at using her. I wouldn't miss Falco though; the same but different movesets for Mario/Luigi/Doctor Mario were kind of cool and funny, but I never enjoyed the only slight (and not clever or funny) differences with Fox/Falco.
I am Srime
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

I was talking about American sales (dumb of me, I know). If you look at those sales figures, you can see that that fewer than 500,000 copies were sold in the US. Chrono Trigger sold even worse!

And slime upon all you guys! SMRPG is awesome. Sure, it's an easy game, but it's definitely the best RPG for beginners.
Fortis
Super Slime

Post by Fortis »

JSH357 wrote: And slime upon all you guys! SMRPG is awesome. Sure, it's an easy game, but it's definitely the best RPG for beginners.
Agreed. SMRPG was the first RPG I played. I was a late bloomer.
Please read Blasphemous Saga Fantasy okay thanks
Aeth
Slime Knight

Post by Aeth »

Double agreed, and I was an RPG vet when SMRPG came out. Great game.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

As fan-boyish at it may seem, if they added Zero to the lineup of playable characters, I'd literally slime my pants. The GBA incarnation already has enough moves, weapon types and skills to actually create a fairly playable character for SSBB. I'd imagine he'd play fairly similar to Link, except not as "jerky". They've got Sonic and Snake at any rate, so at this point, anything's possible.

Also, Ridley as a boss sounds fantastic.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I loved Mario RPG, I just didn't find Geno or Mallow memorable at all.
msw188 wrote:I think Ridley is a little too big to be a playable boss; even in the original Metroid he was almost twice as big as Samus if I remember right (although that was a LONG time ago). I guess some could say the same about Bowser, but he always seems only vaguely bigger than Mario. Ridley gives off the impression of being really big to me, and I'd be disappointed to play as a 1:5 Ridley replica.
Samus and Ridley are the exact same height in the original (So is Kraid, actually) and Ridley is a Samus and a half tall in Super Metroid.
msw188
Metal Slime

Post by msw188 »

Only one and a half Samus' heights? Really? For some reason it seems like more in my memory. But I'm really surprised to hear that they were the same height in the original. Man that game was hard.

And for the record, it isn't the ease of the Mario RPG that really bothered me, as I found a few areas to be difficult. It was the horrendous (in my opinion) battling scheme that got old very quickly, especially when the rotation attacks and several of the weapons did not feel intuitive to me at all. The lack of random battles and no world map also took away from what I enjoy in RPGs to some extent as well, although I have to say that the non-battle oriented gameplay was, for the most part, a lot of fun. Dungeon navigation especially. But don't worry JSH et al, I'm guessing I'm the only person here who feels this way.
I am Srime
Newbie Newtype
Reigning Smash Champion

Post by Newbie Newtype »

I didn't get far in Super Mario RPG when I played it, but I am a personal fan of Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi 2: Partners in Time (the latter is an EXCELLENT game, with incredibly fun battles).
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

What the slime? Mario RPG has a world map! And you're advocating random battles??? How can anyone not like the timing-based battle system? Man. Different worlds, I guess.

Fine. All the more SMRPG for me! :p