(VOTING THREAD) 2013OHR RANDOM COLAB CONTEST (VOTING THREAD)

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

(VOTING THREAD) 2013OHR RANDOM COLAB CONTEST (VOTING THREAD)

Post by Spoonweaver »

This is the official voting thread for
THE 2013 WEEK LONG OHR RANDOM COLAB CONTEST

In order to vote simple post your vote here, or pm me. Give each game a score of 1 to 5. Don't vote for your own game. The scores will be averaged up on the 30th. Our entries this year are:

TEAM Charbisac:
[game]NPC Life[/game]
Charbile
misac

TEAM Gizchiro:
[game]Gizchiro's Random Collab[/game]
Gizmog
Ichiro

TEAM Master Kawk:
[game]Time and Time Again[/game]
Master K
SDHawk

TEAM BMeowR:
[game]The Dungeons of Koh-Lah'B[/game]
BMR
Meowskivich

TEAM Sleepzuma:
[game]Undeadliest[/game]
Sleepish
Shizuma
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

NPC Life by Team Charbisac (Charbile and misac)

While the game does have its humorous points, and it was funny at times, it seemed to me to get real old, real fast. Too many f-bombs where f-bombs weren't really needed. Then again, if I were an NPC who was that pissed and that drunk, perhaps I'd be talking like that too.

It had it's good points, such as questioning why the hero is allowed to rummage through everyone's stuff, why an inn exists that only ever services a single individual, ridiculous prices, etc... Despite this though, it's still pretty much a game wrapped around a single joke that doesn't quite make it to the end of the game.

Final Score: 2.4/5

Gizchiro's Random Collab by Team Gizchiro (Gizmog and Ichiro)

The game feels like it could be the start of something pretty interesting. Unfortunately, that's exactly what it feels like, the start of something pretty interesting. It feels extremely unfinished and there's nothing really to do other than bash beggars and wound werewolves. Well, you can buy burgers as well, but there's no actual plot to play. Alliteration aside, the art was pretty good in the game. I particularly liked the hero sprites (both walkabout and battle) along with the the tiles. The werewolves, not so much. Still, it has potential, and might be interesting to see as a finished game.

Final Score: 2.3/5

Time and Time Again by Team Master Kawk (Master K and SDHawk)

This game is pretty darn amazing. The snow, crikey, the snow alone is amazing. And the NPC schedules where they actually walk around from place to place is mind-blowing. And the entire premise of the game is pretty nifty as well, and executed extremely nicely.

If I had any complaints it would be that the graphics can be a bit repetetive. I feel a game of this depth deserves visuals of the same level. That's not to say that bad graphics make a bad game, so let's not get into that argument. I just feel it could have been done better, particularly the walkabouts. Sure, it's easy to tell who is who, but a little variation in the different NPCs would have been nice. Same goes for the demons, which were just recolors. Then again, the demons were a minor part of the experience I suppose, so that can be overlooked.

One thing I particularly liked is that you prolly do have to play it time and time again before you manage to get everything right (I still haven't, but I'm working on it) and that does loads for the replay value. All in all, a very solid game, and one that I could see winning this contest.

Final Score: 4/5

Undeadliest by Team Sleepzuma (Sleepish and Shizuma)

The game is mindblowing in terms of graphics. Everything is extremely well done and drawn really well, particularly the sprites. The isometric view is also particularly unique and adds an interesting feel to the game. Unfortunately, movement doesn't match the view, so it's somewhat spoiled, but I'm guessing that scripting that would have been a bit much for a weeklong contest.

Despite the great visuals, they were lacking at some points as well. Most anything you could pick up was represented by a little white crosshair rather than an actual graphic. I don't know if this was intentional or if they were supposed to have been replaced by actual graphics later on, but I found that it detracted from the overall feel of the game.

My final complaint would have to be that there just doesn't seem to be that much to do but to go around, explore, kill zombies, and leave the map. I may have been doing something wrong, but I couldn't seem to find much more to the game than that. Still, what's already there is pretty nifty, and I would definitely like to see this game expanded into something more.

Final Score: 3.55/5
Last edited by BMR on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I'll vote later, but I wanted to mention that in Undeadliest, I found and beat the final boss-- but then nothing happened. I am not sure if that was a bug or not. I was just returned to the map, free to wander around some more, and the boss was gone.
Matokage
Slime Knight

Post by Matokage »

I played Every one of them and here are the results

Team Gizchiro
It started pretty intresting but lose all it's glance as I walked to both ends fo the street. But I hope to see a complete game someday

2/5

Team Master Kawk
I feeled I was on ocarina of time, just have done one day but seems to be a game of great potential.

3/5

Team BMeowR
Random generation is something that BMR is developing quite fast. But it's just grinding and nothing more than that.

3/5 for the Random Maping

Team Sleepzuma
Seems a good game afterall, and the isometric view was something i wasn't specting to see, but lacks some intro and story background, making it tedious after sometime.

2.8/5

Edit: typos
Last edited by Matokage on Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I can't buy food with glory"
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

misac wrote:
Team BMeowR
Random reneration is something that BMR is developing quite fast. But it's just grinding and nothing more than that.

grinding is due to no time for real balancing, and the heroes needing better starting stats. I is be sorry.

edit: when I finish Merciful Mungbeans, me thinks BMR and I need to fix this game, hardcore style.
Last edited by Meowskivich on Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Bob the Hamster wrote:I'll vote later, but I wanted to mention that in Undeadliest, I found and beat the final boss-- but then nothing happened. I am not sure if that was a bug or not. I was just returned to the map, free to wander around some more, and the boss was gone.

What, there's a final boss? I never found it. Hmm... Must go back and play it again then.

The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Yeah I got the ending but never encountered any bosses.
Shizuma
Slime Knight

Post by Shizuma »

Bob the Hamster wrote:I'll vote later, but I wanted to mention that in Undeadliest, I found and beat the final boss-- but then nothing happened. I am not sure if that was a bug or not. I was just returned to the map, free to wander around some more, and the boss was gone.
That boss is just a bonus I put in for fun.
You win the game by getting to the road the leads out of town.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Meowskivich wrote:
misac wrote:
Team BMeowR
Random reneration is something that BMR is developing quite fast. But it's just grinding and nothing more than that.

grinding is due to no time for real balancing, and the heroes needing better starting stats. I is be sorry.

edit: when I finish Merciful Mungbeans, me thinks BMR and I need to fix this game, hardcore style.
I'd like that, I think we might have an interesting game that just needs some/a lot more work. I was even thinking of making a scoring system and definitely doing some more balancing.

Shizuma
Slime Knight

Post by Shizuma »

[2/5] TEAM Charbisac: - NPC Life
It's a little story game that is almost funny, and completely not making any sense at all. Gameplay isn't a factor... It is what it is, which is OK.

[1/5] TEAM Gizchiro: - Gizchiro's Random Collab
I don't hate this, but it's far too incomplete to give it more than a 1/5. The Graphics and Intro section are nice but there's hardly any writing OR gameplay.

[3/5] TEAM Master Kawk - Time and Time Again
Time mechanic is well done and interesting to play with. Everything that is there is above average (really nice map graphics). There's also a lot missing from this game, like coherence/clarity in the story or events. Still, it's the one I'd like most to see more of as it was a big idea to undertake for a week long contest.

[2/5] TEAM BMeowR -The Dungeons of Koh-Lah'B
There's some nice graphics and a dungeon, lots of enemy types, I like these things. One fight means you die and there's little I can do about it, for a dungeon game that's fairly crippling. Try releasing a more balanced version soon BMR.
Last edited by Shizuma on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Team Charsac: NPC-Life
1/5

I was expecting a really good show from everyone's favorite bronies. Instead, I got a really good disappointment. Almost all of the jokes were the standard RPG NPC jokes that 1,300 pages of 8-Bit Theater and all of its knockoffs have already worn thin.

It's going to sound hypocritical coming from me, but I wasn't a big fan of the constant profanity. I'm not against profanity, but it works best as a little spice, the exclamation point at the end of a good set-up that can catch you off guard and make the joke funnier. When you're dropping the Big F every other sentence, it's not catching anyone off guard and it becomes abrasive. As a result, I never had any sympathy for the.. hero? NPC? What would you call him, anyway?

The game mostly misses on what it's trying to do. It's not a bad concept, I just don't like the way Charbile and Misac went after it. Maybe I put Charbile on too high a pedestal and maybe some of this is just disappointment that it's not a "My Little Gahn" or a "Sleepover" with crazy plotscript effects to pop out of every nook and cranny, but this was my least favorite entry. Sorry, dudes.

Team BMRski: The Dungeon of Koh Lab
3/5
There's a lot of stuff in this game I really like. The lighting and random maps are pretty cool and the dual wielding is neatly put together and an interesting tangent. The battles are unfortunately the least balanced in the contest, and it took me like 4 tries before I realized the "Treasure" I was picking up was actually equipment and not some kind of points. That could've been expressed more clearly.

I absolutely hate the sound design. Without any background music the noises just pop out of nowhere and they all have a kind of hum at the start that lets you know they're coming before the sound actually plays. Would've preferred silence here.

Games that don't let you skip the intro always annoy me, and especially games that expect you to play them multiple times. It's a short intro, and a younger player might not have problems skipping it but I'm old and grouchy and impatient. I also would've liked some kind of a graveyard file, or high score list, just to let you compare one run to the next, and give you a sense of progress.

It's a good start at a roguelike, but it's still missing some of the feelings that really make you like a rogue-like. But considering the time constraints and the team dynamic this is a valiant effort and absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. Good work, gentlemen.

Team Shizpish: Undeadliest
4/5
This was a cool entry. Shiz brings a certain flavor to every project he works on and that flavor really shines through here. I love the music choices, even the isometric style which I usually think is weird in OHR games works great for Undeadliest.

There are some minor quibbles. The ending is kind of a let down, ammo conservation isn't a big issue (though it doesn't feel like it needs to be) and the town is a little bit big for my tastes, but Shiz's flavor and some really smart choices keep those from dragging the whole game down.

The character designs are great. Even without dialogue, the art gives them each a distinct feel which makes finding a new one a treat, even though they're all (seemingly) identical in terms of stats. The battles are a cool simulation of how you'd imagine an actual gunfight with zombies would work. The goofy little jokes that pop up around certain buildings make exploration feel worth your effort.

It's a great demo, and a concept I'd love to see expanded. I'd kind of like to see food expanded too, maybe a system where each variety of food changes a certain stat, and you have to decide if you want to spread your food out for maximum energy or go on an eating spree and hulk the slime out but risk going hungry later. Of course, that might just be left over King of Gourmet type delusions about wanting to see a man eat a million pounds of Borscht and then turn into an unstoppable zombie-killing machine.

Kinda curious what Sheepish contributed, to be honest. Great work!

The boss battle music might be the catchiest thing I've ever heard. Oh, and... hehehe... P. Juice

Team Master Kawk: Time And Time Again
5/5
I keep bouncing back and forth on whether this is a 4 or a 5. Is it better to shoot for something great and miss, or aim for something attainable like Undeadliest and hit? Time And Time Again is technically impressive but somewhat lacks personality and soul. I feel like this isn't the first time I've described a Hawk game that way.

The Majora's Mask style NPCs are amazing, something I never would've thought possible in an OHR Game. But where Majora's Mask had a very clear threat in the constantly looming moon, Time and Time Again's threat is much vaguer. Where Majora's Mask's NPCs were personable, these guys are bland. There IS a plot to find and it's an okay one. The NPCs do harbor some neat secrets, but getting to the point where you find them and from there to where you give a damn can be somewhat tedious.

Starting the game with the clock ticking puts a lot of pressure on you right off the bat, and it takes a little bit of time to figure out just what the game expects of you, and that it's okay to take a few loops through the story. It also takes a little bit of time to figure out that people are actually in different places at different times of the day and that this will be the key to your success. The battles can be a little unforgiving early on, and give you no way to heal, which can make you feel really stressed out if you don't know that it's okay to loop around a million times.

It's cold and impersonal, but it's an impressive game for two jackasses from the internet to have put together in their first week as a couple. It would've been interesting if Shizuma or RMSephy, someone with a stronger sense of character had landed on this team and helped them liven up the town a little. Still, it did keep my attention through 7 or 8 loops, and I guess unlike the other games it did have a definite start, middle and ending, so I guess I'll give it the 5. I forget what I predicted for you two at the start, but this definitely deserves to win. Complete package, and feels like it took all week to get right.
sleepish
Red Slime

Post by sleepish »

Kinda curious what Sheepish contributed, to be honest. Great work!
I just did the maps, doors, and tiles and put in one time npcs to give items.

Shizuma did all the gameplay stuff, all the other graphics, and the music.
"a manticore asks a wizard whether it, only being 10% human, has a soul like they do. The answer is that the mere act of wondering whether one has a soul is proof of having one."
-Found on TVTropes
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

@ Team BMeowR:
I found quite a few bugs with your game that I felt you'd want to know about. First, some of the items that claim to dual wield like the rest don't actually switch over like they say. This isn't really that big a deal and I was mostly able to just put those items in the other hand and switch over the other weapon and basically completely ignore the problem.

However, there are also invisible walls sometimes that I assume are cause by your random dungeon script. I came across several. One of these walls actually stopped me from getting to the exit in 1 level, though I did just f11 passed it.
On the same note, I search for quite a while on level 2 during one of my runs for the exit but couldn't find it anywhere. When I did find it, it was in a room I couldn't access without using f11.
You may want to give your script another look.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Huh. That's not supposed to happen.

I will indeed give the script another look.

Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Oh, and I forget if I mentioned it in my review, but I got a potion in a battle that was supposed to refill 50% of my health,a nd instead it took AWAY 50% of my health, killing me instantly.