What are you currently playing? Let's talk about it!

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

TheCube
Slime Knight

Post by TheCube »

I'm going back and playing F-zero X on my Wii. That game holds up really well, even after playing the probably superior F-Zero GX. It feels just as fast as ever and the controls are so incredibly responsive it's almost a problem. I just finished the first three cups on novice, now on to, uh, medium or whatever it's called.
ncw64
Slime Knight

Post by ncw64 »

Wow, um. So I've been playing Fire Emblem: Awakening, and it's pretty cool actually! It's a bit polarized it seems like (the beginning of every chapter is tough since they just shoot guys at you and its a game of defend the squishies), but overall it's a decent difficulty. At least until now.

I don't know if it's just me, but is Donnel like Mega Super Ultra OP? I'm only on chapter 19, but for the past like 6 or 7 chapters and every paralogue and monster fight, basically ever since he became like 10 levels UNDER my other guys, he's unkillable, has stupidly stats, even freaking resistance. He has MORE resistance than my sage, lissa as a warrior. WTF.

Anyway, besides the fact that I could 1man army if I really wanted too (durability permitting), it is a lot of fun. It seems a good deal easier than Radiant Dawn and Sacred Stones, and probably even PoR (I'm only playing it on hard- maybe I wasn't evaluating the difficulties right?) The supports are cool along with the marriage and children systems. Also, the reclassing is sort of cool, although I only find it useful for a handful of characters. Maybe it's more important at higher difficulties if you're just gonna go grind mode on monsters, but I've only used a few second seals. Actually I guess I've probably used like 5 or 6 maybe, but not that many. Also, I like (although I was unaware) that you have to use Master Seals to level up. It kinda makes money more useful, even though you have a stupidly obscene amount of it anyway.

So far, my pros and cons go:

Pros:

-Fun Pair-Up stuff, supports, and obviously the combat.
-I like the Paralogue concept a lot, kinda makes it (a little) less linear!
-Cool classes, and Reclassing is a lot of fun! I really like the Dark Flier class even though I just reclassed to it. I just want the skill since it looks so OP.

Cons:

-Reinforcements seem kinda unfair sometimes. I mean, yea, it gives you warning before they come, but I don't like just chilling against a wall to protect my healer until I know exactly where they are going to come from, so I've had her die a couple times by trial and error before I figured out where they would come from.
-Durability is too high. For how much freaking money you get, make the weapons not last as long. Plus it'd make it (maybe) a little worthwhile to not have my manmode Warrior solo half the map while the rest of my army picks apart the other side.

Also, as a final word, even though I usually don't do this, I've been kinda flying through this game since I have other stuff going on, and I've let a couple people I didn't care about die. I actually regret a couple so I'll probably go for a harder difficulty no death game in a few months with different characters, but, for now, it seems like I've figured out my finalish party. This is who I've got:

Chrom+Sumia Usually Paired
Nowi + OP Usually Paired while I leveled Nowi a bit late, but she's starting to become usable independantly
Panne(useless in my group) pairs with Virion since I actually think he sucks (along with the Bow Knight class), but I leveled him and I like having an archer for variety.
Miriel + Avatar, married, but not always paired.
War Monk dude(don't remember his name) pairs with Gaius to make him tougher (since I've found myrmidons suck it seems too)
and lastly, Leyfin or whoever supports Lucina for now.

Feel free to respond, thanks in advance!
You can't fix stupidity.
RMSephy
Metal Slime

Post by RMSephy »

Fire Emblem Awakening is pretty fun. It's considerably easier than any other fire emblem game that I've played (even on classic mode), but I guess you should play on above-normal difficulty. The cast is generally likeable.

Enemy reinforcements are *much* more fair in awakening than in the previous games. I haven't played radiant dawn or path of radiance, but in the gba games enemies would spawn *and* move on the same turn.
ncw64
Slime Knight

Post by ncw64 »

The reinforcements appear and move on the same turn in awakening as well, at least on Hard Classic. I mean, I'm sure it was tougher in other games, but that would be my one complaint!
You can't fix stupidity.
RMSephy
Metal Slime

Post by RMSephy »

Okay, that'd explain it. I've been playing on Normal...
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

Ah, the Dark Flier class. Galeforce is INCREDIBLE, nothing compares to it.

You can make ridiculously aggressive pushes with Galeforce, especially if you've got two units with it that are using Pair Up. Kill an enemy, activate Galeforce, move up, switch to partner, kill next enemy, activate Galeforce again, move even further, kill a third enemy with whoever!

I, of course, have been playing Awakening pretty much every day in the free time I get during my daily commute on the railways. I've beaten the game on Normal!Casual, which was VERY useful because of its mid-battle saves, which in turn allowed me to experiment with a few things, such as which characters trigger extra dialogue during boss encounters. I'm now re-playing it with a gender-swapped Avatar on Hard!Classic, and almost every time I've been forced to reset, it's because enemy reinforcements came when I wasn't expecting them and killed my weakest characters.

Used to be, the case was that when enemy reinforcements arrived, you allowed them to show up so you could kill them for extra exp. This is no longer necessary thanks to various other methods of farming experience. I've wisened up as of today and decided to park my units on forts every time I get a chance and play defensively until it feels safe to push. Is working out pretty well so far.

One thing I changed during this playthrough was Chrom's bride. I picked the game's favorite, Sumia, on my first playthrough, but this time I picked Sully. It led to a hilarious scene when she met her daughter, Lucina, for the first time.
ncw64
Slime Knight

Post by ncw64 »

I JUST changed to a Dark Flier recently. I didn't try the Normal Casual thing, but it would have been nice to experiment a bit- I know a few things I woulda done differently, but alas. And yea. I've had Lissa slaughtered by reinforcements a few times now, mainly my fault though. I find if you are able to be extra aggressive you can just keep Lissa in the back of your pack but still be far up enough to generally avoid the first turn movement of the reinforcements from the back.

But really, noone has thoughts about Donnel ? I honestly don't think he makes sense. He's 40 in every stat minus resistance (but that's almost 30), has like 80 hp, and I don't even know. I just know that if I really wanted, I could use him and Nowi, pair em up (which I normally do) and 1-man any map. It's supposed to be hard-mode!

Also, unless I'm near the end of the game, leveling up does seem to be pretty fast. Maybe I'm not reclassing very much I guess, I dunno. Actually not really. I don't know.

Also Also. Do squishy classes seem less useful in this game? There just is no advantage as opposed to other games where the swordmaster was like the answer to the warrior lest you get RNG 1-shotted. The thief is till nice since you can lockpick, but you can just reclass him anyways (once you get lethality there is no reason to keep him a thief I feel like). I am just constantly wishing my team were tankier, and regretting my team choices. I figured Sumia would be great with high speed and skill, and I could just augment her str a bit, but she is not good without a pair up. Not 100% hit chance as a peg kn? Welcome to the 25 damage counter attack, and one shot by bows. Anyway, just me ranting. My freaking avatar is the only person I can tank with (minus Chrom supported by Sumia as a dodge tank). But my Swdsmen cant even dodge tank well, I've been hit by throwing axes. Whatever.

EDIT: Also, do you pair up a lot? I find myself pairing up every single match for the duration of most of them. I mean, there are some times where I'm like "Dang, I wish I coulda moved them both separately to kill two guys". But not enough to justify weaker, killable characters. Pairing up just lets you survive so much longer as long as you move your healer correctly since whoever you have can just hide behind the partner if they get low in a dangerous spot.
Last edited by ncw64 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can't fix stupidity.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I just finished the new Citadel DLC in Mass Effect 3. I'll review it later on but for now: It's pretty fantastic, definitely the best extra content in the series, among the best DLC in any game I've played.
ncw64
Slime Knight

Post by ncw64 »

I've never played a DLC pack in anything yet, but I'm debating getting it for the New Super Mario Bros. U game. I just felt like the concept up buying an extension for the game was kinda weird, but I guess it makes sense. How is Mass Effect anyways? I hear good things about it, but not sure if it's my style of game.
You can't fix stupidity.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

ncw64 wrote:How is Mass Effect anyways? I hear good things about it, but not sure if it's my style of game.
The first game is good for role playing, the third game is good for shooting monsters, the second is good for a little bit of both. The first game has terrible combat and sidequests but the world's great and the characters in all three are very likeable. I don't usually play shooters but I like these games a lot even when they get stupid.
TheCube
Slime Knight

Post by TheCube »

ncw64 wrote:But really, noone has thoughts about Donnel ?
I have not played this game, but in my previous experience with FE games, overpowered characters level extremely poorly and end up sucking by the end of the game. I don't know if this is the case with this character, but I'd be a bit wary of them myself.

I just finished Slouching Towards Bedlam, and it was amazing. Check it out: http://jayisgames.com/games/slouching-towards-bedlam/

Just a quick warning, the text parser in this can be a bit quirky. For instance, saying "look OBJECT" doesn't work like it does in a normal text game. You have to say "look at OBJECT" for it to work. Same with pointing to things.

Other than that, it's absolutely brilliant.
ncw64
Slime Knight

Post by ncw64 »

I will probably play the Mass Effect Trilogy at some point.

And no- he's not a Jeigan. He's the exact opposite (and also, lately, Jeigans have been having pretty decent endgame stats anyways). He's basically Ross from Sacred Stones at heart, but way stronger it seems so far.
You can't fix stupidity.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I am actually about 80% through Fire Emblem Sacred stones right now, but I kinda got bogged down and distracted. I really like the game, it is great! But between playing on easy-mode, and being OCD about quitting and restoring from a save every time I lose a unit, I have ended up with a team that steamrolls the enemy pretty easily, so unchallenged, i got bored. it is my own fault really ;)
ncw64
Slime Knight

Post by ncw64 »

Yea, most of the Fire Emblems on easy get pretty boring (except Radiant Dawn. Why was RD so hard??). I highly reccomend doing Normal or Hard, Hard especially on Awakening. What team are you using in SS?
You can't fix stupidity.
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

Bob the Hamster wrote:I have ended up with a team that steamrolls the enemy pretty easily, so unchallenged, i got bored. it is my own fault really ;)
You should tackle the Ruins that open up before the final chapter. That stuff gets pretty hard, and it actually culminates with a final battle against TEN DRACO ZOMBIES, OH MY
It's also a neat way to unlock bonus characters you'll never use except for the fun of it.

... Speaking of which, I have to wonder if that's the fate of the unlockable SpotPass characters in Awakening. (A new one came out today, but I can't say any more without delving into serious spoiler territory.) I guess they've got as much potential as anyone if you're patient with Second Seals. I'm not sure I'd want to hold out my Avatar for marrying any of them, though, but I haven't gotten any of their support conversations yet, so who knows! Maybe they'll surprise me.

EDIT: One interesting bit about Donnel: Though his growths are super-high, his maximum stats are actually a little bit lower than everyone else's. Hardly matters right now, but max stats actually become a big issue with some of the unreleased-in-America DLC chapters.

Ooh, by the way, I know a super-juicy secret: the identity of the absolute very definitely final boss of the Japanese DLC chapters. It's a complete left-fielder, but it makes some peculiar sense when you look at Fire Emblem as a whole: Which character has had the most appearances throughout the entire franchise?
Last edited by Baconlabs on Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.