SimCity Network

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

SimCity Network

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Hey Guys,

I just got my copy of the new SimCity in the mail yesterday. Started playing it last night. It's pretty amazing. For any of you who might've been keeping tabs, this latest installment is part of a network, so you can build cities in the same regions with your friends and share resources, trade agreements, and so forth, and you can visit each others' cities. It's quite a remarkable reboot of the franchise.

So, I've said all that to say that I have it and am connected if anyone else has it and wants to play a multiplayer game sometime. Express your interest here and we'll see if we can get a region started. Some regions are small, but I believe the largest one can support up to 16 cities, so screw Minecraft. (just kidding) But yeah, let's get a region up and going soon.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
jcenterprises
Slime Knight

Post by jcenterprises »

I've heard nothing but horrible things about SimCity's always on DRM and that some people couldn't even connect on Day 1. I assume some of these issues are fixed and I'm glad you're able to enjoy the game, but others may be too put off by the DRM to bother with this game.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

I'm normally the first person to complain about any DRM, but I don't find it too offensive in this one. You just have to set up your preferences in a way that suits your style. It's designed for networking with the option to host or join a private game you've been invited to play. Doesn't mean you have to play with others, though. It's also designed to save your game in the cloud, so you never have to hit the "Save" button (nor do you have one to hit), so you never have to worry about losing progress. As far as the always online issue goes, again I don't see it as a problem since most services nowadays are always on, and the only way you can't play is if you're one of the rare people who still doesn't have Internet.

In short, it's worth it. I had one syncing issue about five hours into the game, and it resolved itself right away, and because it keeps your progress in the cloud, I didn't lose any information. It's the first bad concept that EA got right in my opinion. The only negative I have so far is the fact that it automatically installs an update as soon as you install off the disc, and the update takes longer to patch than the game takes to install. But if you don't mind waiting 30 minutes to install, the game you're treated with is pretty awesome. Just saying.
Shizuma
Slime Knight

Post by Shizuma »

Sure, I'd like to play with you Pepsi, you should of given your name though.
What's your name?!...
SDHawk
Metal Slime

Post by SDHawk »

I just picked this game up and would be down for an OHR region. My origin name is sd3hawk.
Last edited by SDHawk on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shizuma
Slime Knight

Post by Shizuma »

I am L_Shizuma
TheCube
Slime Knight

Post by TheCube »

I am too cheap to buy this, but I do think it's interesting...we'll see if I get it anyway.

The always-online thing bothers me because I tend to lose my internet connection about every 3 hours or so for, like, 10 minutes. So it would irritate me to have to deal with that frequently. Mostly it's an idelogical complaint though, as I just don't like DRM heavy games in general.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Pepsi Ranger wrote:... It's also designed to save your game in the cloud, so you never have to hit the "Save" button (nor do you have one to hit), so you never have to worry about losing progress....
This automatic saving has absolutely nothing to do with the cloud. It could work locally-- and would be even more reliable if it did.

It is the same basic saving-scheme used by most roguelikes.

Network multiplayer features are great, but doing things remotely that should be done locally for no other reason than DRM is bad design and I am not surprised by how much flak EA is getting for it.

That being said, I am glad to hear the game is fun :)
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Like I said, I'm no fan or supporter of DRM of any kind, but I don't feel like SimCity is laced with anything obnoxious (not that I've noticed).

My screen name is zippywings. Let me know when you guys want to start a region. (I'm still messing around with my solo game and learning the tricks in the meantime. The new design from the last three games takes a little getting used to.)
Shizuma
Slime Knight

Post by Shizuma »

Since I added you 4 days ago Pepsi, you've denied my friend requests 3 times and nothing has happened.

XD
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

You've added me? I guess I should check the Origin main page once in a while. I'll check again. Sorry about that. I'll add you now.