Retro City Rampage: How a REAL 8-bit game was made on NES

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Chronoboy
Slime Knight

Retro City Rampage: How a REAL 8-bit game was made on NES

Post by Chronoboy »

Long time no see everyone... Since Retro City Rampage is just being released on Wii, the developer is also releasing a NES ROM version of the game. The NES version was the original game being developed until the limitations of the NES drove him to rewrite it in C++. After finishing the version you can download on XBLA/PSN today, he went back and finished up the NES version and it's included with the WiiWare version(according to the video).

I am posting this in this category, as the video itself is a documentary on how NES programming actually is. This will give you some insight on how lucky you are to have James and the OHRRPGCE. The video explains how NES programming is actually done and the dev even open sourced his NES assembler for anyone to use and tinker with.

This video is a great documentary explaining various issues there were when coding for the NES back in the day. And the funny part is... It was completely possible to have an advanced game such as Retro City Rampage on that hardware, an open world GTA-like game. The only problem back then, is that developers didn't have the ideas for such games at the time. There were some open world games on the NES like Zelda and Dragon Quest, but nothing like the scale which Retro City Rampage has. If this game was release back then, it would have been the start of the GTA open world game revolution, and games today would be much different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvx4xXhZMrU
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Hi, nice to see people don't disappear forever. That was a very nice educational video.

Here's something quite similart: a port of DOOM to the VIC-20, the predecessor of the C64, released in 1980!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7h3H-_8N_o (Source code here: https://github.com/Kweepa/vicdoom)

Is it me, or is the level geometry simpler than the original? If so I guess it's probably more of a rewrite of the rendering engine than a port
Shizuma
Slime Knight

Post by Shizuma »

I bet if a game Retro City Rampage were around in the 1980's, nobody would of got it and it would not of started a open-world revolution. But I can't exactly cash into this bet as the delorean is a fictional car.
Chronoboy
Slime Knight

Post by Chronoboy »

I finally bought the game on my Wii last month, and it's super fun. I'm not sure why it wouldn't sell well in the 80s, kids would go crazy over what you can do in the game.

As for "open world revolution", technically the original Zelda on the NES was an open world game, along with many other popular NES titles like Dragon Warrior. You were told one single objective, and were free to roam the world. Of course if you went where there were tough monsters, then you'll be up for more of a challenge. In the original Zelda, I always enjoyed sneaking through the lost woods to obtain the power bracelet early(it made traveling around the world faster).

On that note, when I build an RPG in OHR, I actually have trouble making a linear story, even if I try, it turns into an open world adventure. I guess linear stories bore me, and creating one bores me even more... I enjoy freedom in a game, and I absolutely love exploration and finding cool secrets(boy... Zelda really has brainwashed me). I love Dragon Warrior and the Ultima series because of this as well, since there's tons of exploration and secrets to find in both series. I figure this is why I never really got into Final Fantasy, I did enjoy Final Fantasy Adventure.