The Heart of the OHR results are in!

Announcements that go here will appear on the front page.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

TheCube
Slime Knight

The Heart of the OHR results are in!

Post by TheCube »

The results from the 2012 Heart of the OHR contest are in! Pepsi Ranger has compiled a detailed and entertaining list of the entrants and their final scores, not to mention a bevy of achievements, descriptions, screenshots, and excellent statistics.

Who won? Who got the highest-low score and the lowest-high score? Who spiked the pink lemonade?

Find out now at The Hamster Burrow!

Many thanks to Pepsi for hosting the contest and allowing me to publish the results on the Burrow.
Last edited by TheCube on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

I admit it, I spiked the pink lemonade, but it had it comin', see? Being all smug and different with it's pink colours and such, thinkin' it's better than the rest of us.
I'm glad, see, glad! And I'd do it again if I'd the chance!
Just tell me one thing, sarge, what are they gonna do to me....
WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO DO?!
dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V
Master K
King Slime

Post by Master K »

I'm glad I wasn't completely last, considering how my game looked and played compared to other games. Also, the expansive nothing only pertains to the first few maps of the game. I'm sure if Vanova Forest was minimised, it would've been known as a unnaturally mini forest. After that, the other maps are expansive but meaningful.

I'm sad to see "Bees!" wasn't an achievement.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Master K, I had a hard time giving you that achievement because in my heart I know that I deserve that very same award for every game I've ever made, and though players don't generally like that kind of thing, I have a soft spot for it, and I don't want to admit that it's a risky design decision that can and sometimes does fail. ;)

By the way, I hope you guys find the humor in the achievements you've won. I know at least one author from the 2010 contest was offended by the results and the response to it, but I'm not trying to offend, just to end the contest on a lighthearted note. I thought all of you did quite well, and the overall percentage of scores proves that. Even the worst entry outranked the first two of 2010 by a sizable margin. That's impressive. I'm particularly proud of this group of authors right now.

TheCube, thanks for hosting the results. If someone could link it to the wiki page, I'd appreciate it.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

Wha ha ha ha! "Legacy of Viridia," I like it!
This is very good, I'm glad to see the clean, easy-to-discern rankings of each game, complete with screenshots. I admit, that one screenshot from Dungeonmen made me say "That one, right there. That's definitely the winner. That guy knew what he was doing." I also appreciate the return of the novelty achievements that any game can acquire to feel that much more special, even if it's for a silly or trivial reason. This is part of the HotOHR's charm, I think.

Speaking of charm, I wonder when we can expect Barnabus's big bucket of affectionate parodies?

I look forward to playing the games on that list that stood out the most, for better or for worse.
Master K
King Slime

Post by Master K »

Spokesman for the Anti-squirrel Association
Those poor squirrels, heheh. The achievements were witty and interesting for each game. I am by no means offended, but it's just that expansive nothing is something that has been pointed out through every single game I've done, and I'm trying to get better.
Speaking of charm, I wonder when we can expect Barnabus's big bucket of affectionate parodies?
That would be amazing. Someone, if Barnabus doesn't do it, should try and do this.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

I was pretty sure I was gonna suck in this contest, but I mostly had to get this version (of AR-PUH-GUH!) out because I had been working on it too long (two years since it's previous installment). I can guarantee the next version shall be far better, since I'm pretty much redoing everything, from stats to graphics. The only thing that'll remain remotely unchanged are humanoid battle sprites, as I suck at drawing people, and they're literally about my peak ability.

And because I don't wish to start a thread for the 1.0gamma release, here's some planned things for the next version:
-The start of the real meat of the game (a whole....half of a continent to explore, oodles of side quests, plenty of secrets from dungeons to bosses, side dungeons and such as well, more special classes to discover, even a few new small worlds, and, of course, the ability to finally make use of the warp stations)
-Updated and upgraded graphics and colouring
-The bestiary being ACTUALLY usable, and rather useful
-The energist should have all it's attacks planned out and completed, at least
-Equipment being less mysterious
-Well, items in general being less mysterious
-improved music
-original sound effects

among other things. but this will be started on after I'm done with Merciful Mungbeans (unless I so desire to do so beforehand), as I need a break from that game.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to make something that won't be hated! ...if screws will stop falling out of my computer (literally)
dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I am proud of everybody who entered this contest. I still haven't finished playing the games, but I have found something to like in everything I have played so far.

Since the HotOHR contest is bi-annual, maybe later this year I should organize another Finish-Your-Dang-Game contest. I would love to see improvements and completions for so many of the HotOHR games
TheCube
Slime Knight

Post by TheCube »

Bob the Hamster wrote:Since the HotOHR contest is bi-annual, maybe later this year I should organize another Finish-Your-Dang-Game contest. I would love to see improvements and completions for so many of the HotOHR games
I think you should! I like this idea a lot, and gosh 2 years seems like such a long time between contests. And I would love to see some of these games completed, too, since there is so much potential. Especially Universal Wars...I think there's a heart of gold in there.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

I have an unofficial New Year's Resolution not to create any new games this year. I could keep myself busy for the rest of the year finishing my dang games (Super Penguin Chef, Memento Mori) or at least updating them (Phantom Tactics, Untitled Game Boy Game).

Of course, if I manage to release a finished version all of those games by July, all bets are off :)
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Hehe, "Legacy of Viridia", I like it.

I second James' idea of organizing a Finish-Your-Dang-Game contest. Would be interesting, and likewise, I'd like to see improvements/completions for a lot of the games.

And it would give me further incentive to make Legacy not-boring, hehe.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
8bifit
Slime Knight
Location: In the thoughts and dreams of all the world's children.

Post by 8bifit »

Just want to point out that TWO of the top three games had soundtracks by yours truly. Coincidence? Probably. But that won't stop me from saying this: if you want your game to be in the top three of any given contest, it would probably be a good idea to have me do the soundtrack.

-EDIT-

Further Evidence of Top Three Correlation:

Dungeonmen came in 2nd place in the RPG contest on 64D. And Carny Death Peddlers (the non-OHR game I did the soundtrack for this year) came in 3rd place for the Halloween game contest on the same site.

COINCIDENCE?! I'm just asking the question...
Last edited by 8bifit on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.