Heart of the OHR Contest 2012

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Wait, what? I put music at 15 and graphics at 10? That's a mistake, should've been the other way around, I shall fix.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
8bifit
Slime Knight
Location: In the thoughts and dreams of all the world's children.

Post by 8bifit »

Spoonweaver wrote:I do like the idea of a Rubric, but I simply can't get behind one that put's graphics at a low 10% and music at a 15%.
I agree with this. The entire audio/visual experience only accounts for 25% of the score. By your metric, hypothetically, a book could score 40%. Plus the fact that you are only judging story by two criteria while every other category is judged by at least three further reinforces the disproportionate nature of your weighting system. I mean, The Legend of Zelda would receive less than 60% by this rubic!
Mystic
Metal Slime

Post by Mystic »

Of course, this is a rubric designed for HotOHR games - The Legend of Zelda might not even fit and would therefore lose points for that reason.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

I see. I shall revise my rubric then! To Google Docs I go!

EDIT: It's been revised now. The Story segment now has more subcategories and the percentages have been tweaked as per suggestions.
Last edited by BMR on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Momoka
Metal Slime

Post by Momoka »

How are we doing voting for the Best Dungeon Side Contest?
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Oh good point Momoka.

As another sub-contest host, I'd like to state that in order to vote for Best Villain one only needs to list the game and villain you found best. List up to 5 villains in order from most best to least best. The winner will receive a random gift box of assorted vending machine prizes.

Example Villain vote:
1) Mootar - Universal Wars
2) Filet Mignyak - Cool Guy Bob Surlaw
3) Bees - Illusions
4) Surlaw - No More Villains

I suggest one does the same thing for best dungeon, but that's entirely up to the host of that sub contest.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

BMR's HotOHR Ratings

Abel by BlastedEarth
Graphics: 8/10
Sprites: 4/5
Tiles: 4/5
Battles: 4/5

Story: 5.4/10
Characters: 2/5
Cutscenes: 3/5
Dialogue: 4/5
Side-Quests: 1/5
Plot: 3/5

Gameplay: 5.5/10
Playability: 3/5
Lack of Bugs: 2/5
Combat: 2/5
Map Design: 3/5
Features: 5/5

Music: 3.3/10
World: 2/5
Battles: 1/5
Sound effects: 2/5

Total Score: 5.5/10
Notes: While the game is obviously very unfinished, what is present shows a great deal of potential. There are quite a few interesting features such as the perks system and the dialogue options for some characters. Also of note are the differing outfits for each of the player types. All in all, it's a good game that was executed well, but is still lacking in content to be a great game.
AR-PUH-GUH! by Meowskivich
Graphics: 5.6/10
Sprites: 3/5
Tiles: 3/5
Battles: 2/5

Story: 3.5/10
Characters: 1/5
Cutscenes: 1/5
Dialogue: 2/5
Side-Quests: 4/5
Plot: 2/5

Gameplay: 6/10
Playability: 4/5
Lack of Bugs: 4/5
Features: 2/5

Music: 7/10
World: 4/5

Total Score: 5/10
Notes: AR-PUH-GUH! is an interesting game with interesting features. It can at first seem to be a bit overwhelming in terms of what to do as there is no clear-cut direction for the player. Still, exploration seems to be the name of the game (figuratively) and such will lead to an interesting romp though the game world.AR-PUH-GUH! is an interesting game with interesting features. It can at first seem to be a bit overwhelming in terms of what to do as there is no clear-cut direction for the player. Still, exploration seems to be the name of the game (figuratively) and such will lead to an interesting romp though the game world.
Cool Guy Bob Surlaw by The Wobbler
Graphics: 7.6/10
Battles: 3/5

Story: 8.1/10
Characters: 4/5
Cutscenes: 4/5
Dialogue: 5/5
Side-Quests: 3/5
Plot: 4/5

Gameplay: 7.7/10
Lack of Bugs: 5/5
Combat: 3/5
Map Design: 4/5
Features: 3/5

Music: 7.3/10
Sound effects: 4/5

Total Score: 7.75/10
Notes: Cool Guy Bob Surlaw is definitely a unique game presented in a unique manner. The humor works rather well, and the mood rating is a very interesting mechanic that I feel meshes well with the overall thematic feel of the game. Sudden deaths can happen, so saving often is indeed good advice. The dialogue was particularly well done in my opinion, with different characters speaking in very distinct voices that conveyed their personalities rather well.Cool Guy Bob Surlaw is definitely a unique game presented in a unique manner. The humor works rather well, and the mood rating is a very interesting mechanic that I feel meshes well with the overall thematic feel of the game. Sudden deaths can happen, so saving often is indeed good advice. The dialogue was particularly well done in my opinion, with different characters speaking in very distinct voices that conveyed their personalities rather well.
Dreg Sector: The Tract by Willy Elektrix
Graphics: 5.2/10
Tiles: 2/5

Story: 5.3/10
Characters: 2/5
Cutscenes: 2/5
Dialogue: 3/5
Side-Quests: 4/5

Gameplay: 7/10
Features: 4/5

Music: 4.4/10
Sound effects: 1/5

Notes: I must say that first off that Dreg Sector is a rather difficult game. It takes a few tries to finally get anywhere without being torn to pieces, but rather than being frustrating, that difficulty actually adds to the fun of it. I'm a great lover of space exploration games such as these, and this is no exception. The retro graphics work rather nicely though it was a bit difficult at first to tell what ships are supposed to be what, but then again this may have been intentional.I must say that first off that Dreg Sector is a rather difficult game. It takes a few tries to finally get anywhere without being torn to pieces, but rather than being frustrating, that difficulty actually adds to the fun of it. I'm a great lover of space exploration games such as these, and this is no exception. The retro graphics work rather nicely though it was a bit difficult at first to tell what ships are supposed to be what, but then again this may have been intentional.
DUNGEONMEN: Men of Dungeons by KF Harlock and Shizuma
Graphics: 8.8/10
Sprites: 5/5

Story: 3.9/10
Side-Quests: 2/5

Gameplay: 7.9/10

Music: 9.5/10
World: 5/5
Battles: 5/5

Total Score: 6.75/10
Notes: Dungeonmen, what can be said that hasn't already been said? It's a great game with solid presentation. Unlike many others though, I didn't particularly enjoy it. That's not to say that I think it's a bad game though, as can be seen by the relatively high score I gave it. I'm just not too fond of main characters with no personalities who wander about from point A to point B to achieve goal C. I grew up with Ultima games and love the culture and lore and history you can get in the game, not really something you get much of in Dungeonmen. That said, it's still a brilliantly executed game reminiscent of old NES and early SNES games. A great deal of effort went into this game and it shows in the extremely high level of quality the game possesses.Dungeonmen, what can be said that hasn't already been said? It's a great game with solid presentation. Unlike many others though, I didn't particularly enjoy it. That's not to say that I think it's a bad game though, as can be seen by the relatively high score I gave it. I'm just not too fond of main characters with no personalities who wander about from point A to point B to achieve goal C. I grew up with Ultima games and love the culture and lore and history you can get in the game, not really something you get much of in Dungeonmen. That said, it's still a brilliantly executed game reminiscent of old NES and early SNES games. A great deal of effort went into this game and it shows in the extremely high level of quality the game possesses.
Final Dragon Legacy by mjohnson092088
Graphics: 6.8/10

Story: 6.8/10

Gameplay: 7.5/10
Combat: 4/5

Music: 8.8/10
World: 5/5

Total Score: 7.25/10
Notes: FDL has the distinct feeling of a large game with a large story. It distinctly reminds me of the type of game I would have spent hours on back in my youth (Heh, who am I kidding, I'd prolly still spend hours on it now) exploring everything I can. The sprites are well done, but there are a few instances where the level of detail varies and is thus a bit jarring. Still, it's a solid game and plays really well.FDL has the distinct feeling of a large game with a large story. It distinctly reminds me of the type of game I would have spent hours on back in my youth (Heh, who am I kidding, I'd prolly still spend hours on it now) exploring everything I can. The sprites are well done, but there are a few instances where the level of detail varies and is thus a bit jarring. Still, it's a solid game and plays really well.
Illusions by MasterK
Graphics: 4/10
Sprites: 2/5
Tiles: 2/5

Story: 6.1/10
Characters: 3/5

Gameplay: 4.2/10
Playability: 2/5
Lack of Bugs: 3/5
Map Design: 1/5

Music: 4.8/10
World: 3/5

Total Score: 4.75/10
Notes: Illusions has some great potential in it, but I feel that it still needs some work. There are vast areas of map which are mostly underpopulated, and at times it's not clear where one is supposed to go. Still, from the start, the chacracters of Zack and Alanna do seem interesting, and the entire story behind the Illusions is equally so. It needs some more work, but I feel there's a good game here.Illusions has some great potential in it, but I feel that it still needs some work. There are vast areas of map which are mostly underpopulated, and at times it's not clear where one is supposed to go. Still, from the start, the chacracters of Zack and Alanna do seem interesting, and the entire story behind the Illusions is equally so. It needs some more work, but I feel there's a good game here.
Kinvesard: Epilogue of the Princess by Spoonweaver
Graphics: 7.2/10

Story: 3/10
Dialogue: 1/5

Gameplay: 8.6/10
Features: 5/5

Music: 5.1/10

Total Score: 5.75/10
Notes: Kinvesard is a very well executed game that is unfortunately rather short. While I see a great deal of potential in the game, as it stands there doesn't seem to be much room for a story to develop, hence the relatively low score. It does, however, have interesting mechanics, what with being able to choose race/class combinations and different classes causing different effects on the map. All in all, it's a nifty game that will most definitely be even niftier once it's finished.Kinvesard is a very well executed game that is unfortunately rather short. While I see a great deal of potential in the game, as it stands there doesn't seem to be much room for a story to develop, hence the relatively low score. It does, however, have interesting mechanics, what with being able to choose race/class combinations and different classes causing different effects on the map. All in all, it's a nifty game that will most definitely be even niftier once it's finished.
Legendary Heroes by Spoonweaver
Graphics: 5.6/10

Story: 6.1/10
Characters: 3/5

Gameplay: 5.7/10
Combat: 1/5

Music: 4.8/10

Notes: Legendary Heroes obviously had a lot of work in it. The one thing I didn't quite like though was that there was no real backstory provided. Who is Biff? What's the story? Why am I going around killing things? There's little to provide a goal or an incentive to sympathize with the characters. There are interesting points as well though, the fishing aspect showed promise, but was a bit too simplistic. My main gripe would be the combat, which is overly simplistic in my opinion. I spent most of the fights just holding down a button to get through the fights more quickly. Once you get Sherman though, things get a bit more interesting, and wandering around becomes more fun. All in all, a solid game.
NO MORE VILLAINS by Fenrir-Lunaris
Graphics: 9.2/10
Sprites: 5/5
Battles: 5/5

Story: 6.2/10

Gameplay: 6.9/10
Features: 2/5

Music: 6/10
Sound effects: 3/5

Total Score: 6.75/10
Notes: First off, excellent art and excellent sprites, what more could you expect from a game by Fenrir? Being a relative newcomer to the OHR, it's sad to say that many of the in-jokes and inter-game references were lost on me. That's not to say that I didn't find the game fun though, it was a blast. The humor worked very well, and the inter-character bickering was done well too. My main complaint however would be that the plot rather railroads you down a certain path, with no real choice presented to the player. It felt more like an interactive story rather than a game. Still, it was a nifty play, and I enjoyed my time with it.First off, excellent art and excellent sprites, what more could you expect from a game by Fenrir? Being a relative newcomer to the OHR, it's sad to say that many of the in-jokes and inter-game references were lost on me. That's not to say that I didn't find the game fun though, it was a blast. The humor worked very well, and the inter-character bickering was done well too. My main complaint however would be that the plot rather railroads you down a certain path, with no real choice presented to the player. It felt more like an interactive story rather than a game. Still, it was a nifty play, and I enjoyed my time with it.
Reign of Grelok by misac
Graphics: 4.8/10
Sprites: 2/5

Story: 3.3/10

Gameplay: 4.2/10
Map Design: 1/5

Music: 4/10

Total Score: 3.75/10
Notes: Reign of Grelok feels like it could be a good game but isn't quite there yet. Much of the graphics seem to clash and the plot seems to be a cookie-cutter generic one, though based on what I've read that might have been intentional. Many of the battles seem to be too difficult, and it may have just been me, but I couldn't find a way to heal lost health. My major gripe however would be the dungeons. They seem to go on forever with almost no variation and no indication of where you are or where you're supposed to go. Smaller mazes with more challenge would have been better in my opinion. Still, it has the makings of something interesting once more work has been put into it.Reign of Grelok feels like it could be a good game but isn't quite there yet. Much of the graphics seem to clash and the plot seems to be a cookie-cutter generic one, though based on what I've read that might have been intentional. Many of the battles seem to be too difficult, and it may have just been me, but I couldn't find a way to heal lost health. My major gripe however would be the dungeons. They seem to go on forever with almost no variation and no indication of where you are or where you're supposed to go. Smaller mazes with more challenge would have been better in my opinion. Still, it has the makings of something interesting once more work has been put into it.
Silhouette by Mystic
Graphics: 4/10
Sprites: 1/5

Story: 2/10
Cutscenes: 1/5
Dialogue: 1/5
Plot: 1/5

Gameplay: 6.9/10
Playability: 2/5

Music: 4.2/10

Total Score: 4/10
Notes: Truth be told, I'm rather sad that I had to give this a relatively low score. I really liked the game and found it to be rather unique. The battle system was interesting, and while lacking in graphics, did have a nice flair to it. The puzzles in the game were simplistic but fun, though I can see how some might have trouble with the sliding puzzle or the sokoban puzzle. I grew up with Dr. Brain so they were pretty trivial, but still enjoyable. Sadly, the game had pretty much no plot, no characters, no dialogue, and no real goal. It's obviously still rather unfinished, but what's playable so far is rather enjoyable.Truth be told, I'm rather sad that I had to give this a relatively low score. I really liked the game and found it to be rather unique. The battle system was interesting, and while lacking in graphics, did have a nice flair to it. The puzzles in the game were simplistic but fun, though I can see how some might have trouble with the sliding puzzle or the sokoban puzzle. I grew up with Dr. Brain so they were pretty trivial, but still enjoyable. Sadly, the game had pretty much no plot, no characters, no dialogue, and no real goal. It's obviously still rather unfinished, but what's playable so far is rather enjoyable.
Super Penguin Chef by Mogri
Graphics: 6.8/10

Story: 7/10
Plot: 4/5

Gameplay: 6.4/10
Lack of Bugs: 2/5

Music: 6.3/10

Total Score: 6.5/10
Notes: I loved this game. It was whimsical, funny, and unique. The characters were memorable as well, and the entire premise of the game was absolutely ridiculous enough to be rather fun. I loved the different features in the game and how it was pretty much two games in one. Sadly, the other dungeons (at the time of playing) weren't complete yet, so I wasn't able to get the full Super Penguin Chef experience. Still, it was loads of fun, and I really liked it.I loved this game. It was whimsical, funny, and unique. The characters were memorable as well, and the entire premise of the game was absolutely ridiculous enough to be rather fun. I loved the different features in the game and how it was pretty much two games in one. Sadly, the other dungeons (at the time of playing) weren't complete yet, so I wasn't able to get the full Super Penguin Chef experience. Still, it was loads of fun, and I really liked it.
The K'hyurbhi Lands by FnrrfYgmSchnish
Graphics: 8.4/10
Tiles: 5/5

Story: 7.2/10

Gameplay: 8.4/10
Map Design: 5/5

Music: 7.5/10
Sound effects: 3/5

Total Score: 7.75/10
Notes: OK, I'll admit that I was apprehensive about playing thing game at first. I mean, K'hyurbi? I figured it would pretty much be Kirby with an RPG twist. I was wrong though, and it turned out to be a solid and extremely enjoyable game. The graphics are simple, yet they all mix well with one another leaving nothing glaringly out of place. The battles are all very well balanced (if a bit repetitive at times) and the plot, while cookie-cutter-ish, is well-executed enough to be fresh. All in all, a great game.OK, I'll admit that I was apprehensive about playing thing game at first. I mean, K'hyurbi? I figured it would pretty much be Kirby with an RPG twist. I was wrong though, and it turned out to be a solid and extremely enjoyable game. The graphics are simple, yet they all mix well with one another leaving nothing glaringly out of place. The battles are all very well balanced (if a bit repetitive at times) and the plot, while cookie-cutter-ish, is well-executed enough to be fresh. All in all, a great game.
Universal Wars by jcenterprises
Graphics: 2.4/10
Sprites: 1/5
Tiles: 1/5

Story: 3.3/10

Gameplay: 4.4/10
Map Design: 2/5
Features: 1/5

Music: 4/10

Total Score: 3.5/10
Notes: As I've said before, this game shows promise. If one can get past the graphics and the ridiculous story, there can be some humor found in it and some enjoyability. As it stands though, it's hard to get past the copy-paste and extremely simply drawn graphics and the mind-numbingly repetitive battles where the entire fight can be won by holding down the space bar. I got far enough into the story to have a bit more of it unfold (mad cows and pirates!) and can see that there's potential in it. Still, there's a lot more work to be done in this game I believe.As I've said before, this game shows promise. If one can get past the graphics and the ridiculous story, there can be some humor found in it and some enjoyability. As it stands though, it's hard to get past the copy-paste and extremely simply drawn graphics and the mind-numbingly repetitive battles where the entire fight can be won by holding down the space bar. I got far enough into the story to have a bit more of it unfold (mad cows and pirates!) and can see that there's potential in it. Still, there's a lot more work to be done in this game I believe.

EDIT: I tried to be as objective with the ratings as I could by sticking to the rubric I created. Some games which I enjoyed more received lower scores than games I enjoyed less because of this. Still, this is how the scores came out, so I'll stick by these for now.
Last edited by BMR on Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Oh, man. I am so far behind on playing the games, I haven't even finished one of them yet :P
SDHawk
Metal Slime

Post by SDHawk »

BMR wrote:BMR's HotOHR Ratings

By your rubric 1 is "there is no music". So uhm... does that mean the battle music was so bad that it's equivalent to not having any battle music at all? It's fine if that's the case, I'm just confused.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I wasn't going to say anything, but most of your votes, according to your rubric, seem pretty off.

I mean, people can vote however they want, but since you went through the process of posting a rubric and explaining each part of your vote in detail you kind of leave yourself open for criticism.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

SDHawk wrote:
BMR wrote:BMR's HotOHR Ratings

By your rubric 1 is "there is no music". So uhm... does that mean the battle music was so bad that it's equivalent to not having any battle music at all? It's fine if that's the case, I'm just confused.

It might have been just me, but I didn't hear music during battles? If there was music and it was a problem on my part, then I apologize and I'll go back and fix it.

Spoonweaver wrote:I mean, people can vote however they want, but since you went through the process of posting a rubric and explaining each part of your vote in detail you kind of leave yourself open for criticism.
By all means, criticize my votes, I'm most open to it. I tried to be as objective as I could, but I'm only human and may have been skewed by my opinions in certain votes. If you feel I was in error in any of my ratings, please tell me so that I can remedy the problem at once. I'd hate to give a skewed rating by messing up on my own rubric.
Last edited by BMR on Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

SDHawk
Metal Slime

Post by SDHawk »

BMR wrote: It might have been just me, but I didn't hear music during battles? If there was music and it was a problem on my part, then I apologize and I'll go back and fix it.
There's a battle track for each difficulty of space, yeah. Considering you heard the map music this might be a strange engine bug of some sort.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Hmm, could be. I'll give it another go and twiddle with my settings, might have been my computer that was acting up for some strange reason.

Willy Elektrix
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Willy Elektrix »

SDHawk wrote:It might have been just me, but I didn't hear music during battles? If there was music and it was a problem on my part, then I apologize and I'll go back and fix it.
The battle music is the best part of the whole game! :D

This should bump Dreg Sector 's score up to at least 8/10! :)
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I take it back BMR, your votes are fine. I didn't expect this to spiral like it did. I'll post my votes soon to hopefully change the subject a bit.