Dunderstank META-Chat!

Play-by-forum D&D and such go here.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Well, Lyre of Building is kind of goofily worded.
... Once a week its strings can be strummed so as to produce chords that magically construct buildings, mines, tunnels, ditches, or whatever. The effect produced in but 30 minutes of playing is equal to the work of 100 humans laboring for three days. ...
"Or whatever" is a really subjective thing, as is the amount of work 100 humans can do in 3+ days. What I meant by "as much BS as we can get away with" was like... if we can undermine the foundation, that'd be awesome. If that's too much work for 100 men in 3+perform checks days, we might settle for digging an alternate hole in. Plus, that's assuming we want to go underground. We could also build like a siege tower or something and "sneak" across onto the roof.

Mostly I was just bummed that it'd been so long without a post and I didn't wanna dominate the discussions, so I thought I'd drum up some OOC banter. Posting IC again soon..
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Ah, yes well let me just expand on how I'm going to interpret the lyre of building a bit here.
When used to protect building and the like, the target of the lyre will glow purple-ish.
When made to build things, illusionary phantom workers will spring forth from the lyre and start working at a whirling pace. The workers can float, are semitransparent purple, and mindless. They can't be made to attack anything, and if anything attacks them the lyre's construction attempt fails for the week.
The amount of work equals roughly 300gp worth of work every 30minutes. A simple building for example costs 1000gp according to the DMG. So it would take 100minutes. Also, materials would need to be purchased in the amount of 1/10th of the price. So 100gp.
For building more detailed things, like ships. twice as much time is needed, and 1/5th of the price is needed in materials.
For siege equipment, 3 times the time and 1/4th paid for materials.
For digging, different types of ground would yield different amounts of work pay out per hour. But as a general rule, normal ground is dug up at 300cubic feet per hour. 25gp in lumber per hour is needed for underground mines.
Using natural occurring materials can be used to forgo the material costs in some cases.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

So without saying it would work or not to either plan you proposed before you actually try them in game, each plan seems to have a chance.

And I wouldn't worry about monopolizing the conversation. Being a pixie with a high charisma means it would actually be in character for you to do just that. Or at least try to.
Momoka
Metal Slime

Post by Momoka »

It occurs to me that a big part of my concept was to use Alter Self to basically be the spy from Team Fortress 2, turning into guards and the like, and I actually can't do that, because Alter Self only lets you turn into something the same type as you, and Tieflings are outsiders.

I'm going to pretend Czolgosziel made the same mistake, and lives in eternal annoyance that his best disguise option is a 20-foot snake. And now my entire concept of his character has completely inverted.

I am also amused that, since we are sticking to the SRD, he can turn into a sexy woman demon, but not a sexy man demon.
Last edited by Momoka on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

You could probably still get away with some of that concept. Tieflings are essentially look human with just a little bit of demon peeking through, right? For most humanoid foes maybe you could get away with looking like their evil twin or something. Might work if they don't look too close and would be kind of a neat concept besides.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I had actually thought you were power gaming a bit with the alter self thing on a tiefling. It makes the spell 100 times more powerful when you can actually use it to make you fly, burrow, have a climbing speed, increase your natural armor, and gain a bite attack. Normally it just allows you to look like an orc instead of a human, woohoo.

Since you have such a high disguise skill though, you don't really need magic to help you do what you want to do. Also, you can still use alter self to increase your disguise check by +10 even if you're disguising yourself as something other than an outsider. Think of the spell as making you the tannest skinned smallest horned tielfing ever. You would still need to fashion up a mundane disguise though.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Ok, so the current plan is digging straight up into the house from underneath, before entering kobold territory.
I'm just not sure what to say without spoiling. I almost feel like saying that is spoiling actually. Oh well.
Anyways, I'll go ahead with you guys enacting that plan.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Though not necessarily a combat, I figured mapping things out might be helpful, plus I still hadn't made a single map thus far.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Oh!

I am surprised that that was the plan. I know we were taking out time about it, but I thought we were still brainstorming.

Also, I was expecting to have to leave the building we were in, find our way across town to the correct location, and implement out plan manually

But the DM is the boss, so I am okay with this (not so much complaining, just expressing surprise at the fast-forward)
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Hiya, for convenience, I finally went ahead and registered at The Tangled Web so that I could create profiles for Kolobor. Here they are:

Kolobor W. Ulpoh

Human Form
Hybrid Form (Probably what I'll be using the most)
Animal Form
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Looks good BMR

And yes I fast forwarded a bit. I felt you were still brainstorming a bit, but I came to the conclusion that you might be brainstorming for quite a while if I just let it be until someone stood up and left in character.
illuminating the area and giving his low-light vision some light to work with.
Oh, thank you, I didn't actually realize not everyone had darkvision.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Huh, strange. So I created Kolobor's profile by importing the XML file generated by PCGen into the profiler at The Tangled Web. I've only just noticed now though, that the profile on TTW doesn't include all of Kolobor's items, like the staff of scorching ray, or his three wands. I can't seem to figure out how to add more items to the list, how should I go about this? Just include extra items in the description?

Apologies, this is my first time using TTW.

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Oh, heh, it's kinda funny that you ran out of room.

Yea you can just add extra items into the description area, that seems to have quite a lot of space in it, I assume almost endless.
If you wouldn't mind, I'd find it helpful if you moved some of your non-magical items into your description instead of your magical ones though. Putting your magical ones at the top of the list would be helpful too.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Righto, I'll get on that then. Though I hope it's fine if I just make the changes to the hybrid profile rather than going through all three of them (blasted lycanthrope forms!).

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Yes, that's fine.