Minecraft Thread

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

NeoSpade
Slime Knight

Post by NeoSpade »

Speaking of cool jungle seeds (or at least weird ones) try:

PvPMaP

I'm not sure if the spawn point is pre-determine, but whenever I use it, it spawns me on the second highest layer of leaves of a massive jungle tree. It is quite the novelty :P
Master K
King Slime

Post by Master K »

Anyone been on the server lately? I finished my sky village, Skyton. It even has villagers!
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Master K wrote:Anyone been on the server lately? I finished my sky village, Skyton. It even has villagers!
Nice!

I have only been on for about 30 minutes a day on average for the past week or two, and I rarely seem to be online at the same time as anybody.

I am working on the dirt layer on my sky-platform, and I finally got my first silk-touch pickaxe for easy grass-transport. I had build a spiral dirt stair all the way up, but grass spreads sooo slowly uphill that it had only crawled about 10 blocks up, so I am really happy to have the silk touch.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

I still haven't really done anything on the server ever since that fiasco in the mines that happened that time ago. That was a lot of everything that I lost and that kinda drives me nuts.

Also, the server seems rather thoroughly used up. (perhaps a multi-world plug-in might be an option? especially with the new things that will be added to the upcoming pretty scary halloween update like witch cottages and natural-growing potatoes and carrots)

I feel less inclined to do stuff when I feel like I'm:
1 - not going to find really any valuable minerals without going all pillage-y on people's loot
2 - going to intrude upon someone's mine (though I leave my mines up to public use on a "first-come first-served" basis)
3 - There's not really a good place to build for miles and miles away form spawn. I'm easily over 1000 blocks away from spawn to just BARELY come to an area that is moderately unused when I started.

So yar. Thus a few reasons why I don't go on the server too many much anymoar.
dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

Bob the Hamster wrote:I had build a spiral dirt stair all the way up, but grass spreads sooo slowly uphill that it had only crawled about 10 blocks up, so I am really happy to have the silk touch.
Oh my, that's ridiculous. During the time it took for that grass to grow you could well have accumulated the experience for a dozen Silk Touch tools. (By the way, I've heard that any Silk Touch tool works on any block, regardless of its usual efficiency. Grab yourself a Golden Silk Touch Axe and bore through some rock!)

Apparently Minecraft 1.5 is going to feel like a whole new game when it comes out, in no small part due to a massive amount of new sound effects we'll be getting. It probably sounds minor, but sometimes sound alone can bring a whole new level of immersion into a game. It will not help you in the slightest if you are in a Creeper's territory or if your username is Wozzeck.

Oh, and Master K, please post screenshots, I want to see~
Last edited by Baconlabs on Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

@Meowskivich: 1000 blocks away seems like a very short distance to me!

Personally, I always enjoy exploring other peoples mines, and I often leave signs in my own for the benefit of others, but if you want to play pioneer in unexplored territory, you can always journey <s>3000 or 4000 thousand blocks</s> 3 or 4 kiloblocks in any direction.

And once you have set up a nice base there, if you want to connect it back to the more populated areas, there are a few people (myself included!) who love to build nether-rails :)
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Bob the Hamster wrote:3000 or 4000 thousand
Wow, your server must be massive.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Mogri wrote:
Bob the Hamster wrote:3000 or 4000 thousand
Wow, your server must be massive.
Check out the map at http://minecraft.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrss/

The main populated and built-up area is a strip about 6 or 7 kiloblocks that spans from The Grey in the north, to Giz's Sheepco Ranch in the south. There there is a overworld rail line and a nether rail line that both cover this full distance.

Giz, Wozzek, and Master-K have all at different times travelled as far as 20 kiloblocks in different directions from the origin. You can see people's various exploratory trips on the extremities of the map.

EDIT: after I wrote all that, I realized you were pointing out my typo of "4000 thousand" hehe :)
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Master K
King Slime

Post by Master K »

When we get command blocks, exploring might become easier. Command blocks would function like teleporters. I could set one up on that new continent I found, and on the mainland. We should also have a big teleport hub.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Woz and I have actually built a nether rail leading most of the way to furtherest away point on the server (the spot near the Mighty Mooshroom Kingdom). Like all speculative portals built in the nether, it comes out under an ocean.
1 - not going to find really any valuable minerals without going all pillage-y on people's loot
2 - going to intrude upon someone's mine (though I leave my mines up to public use on a "first-come first-served" basis)
3 - There's not really a good place to build for miles and miles away form spawn. I'm easily over 1000 blocks away from spawn to just BARELY come to an area that is moderately unused when I started.
All three are false. (You just had really bad luck placing your tower in the middle of a terraforming project without realising it.) If you want untouched land, you only need to go northeast from the spawn swamp about 20 steps. Very little has been built in that forest: I'm only aware of two small houses to the northwest. But look at the map, there's tonnes of space everywhere.

Also, pick any major landmark (even Creeperton last time I checked), and go down, and you'll probably still find lots of unexplored caves and ores. You wouldn't think so, but there's just so many tunnels down there.
Snodrvr
Red Slime

Post by Snodrvr »

A word of warning about digging west of Creeperton. There is a 2x2 (At points 1x2) tunnel I dug while exploring and it goes nearly forever, doubles back on itself, and at one point hits a dungeon with three seperate cave spider spawners within a twenty square radius.

There's some cool stuff in there, ,A lot of unexploited caves and space, but it can be rather confusing to explore. It however, reasonably well lit if you stick to the trail. It is however, entirely unmarked save for the torches.

Use it if you like, Just be careful. The only existing entrance or exit is under a frozen lake.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Oh, cool! I remember that passage. I broke into it accidentally a few months back, and wondered who made it.

So that means it has at least one more exit to the surface than it did when you built it :)
Master K
King Slime

Post by Master K »

If you really want to avert those, feel adventurous and do what I did; go on an epic adventure into the unknown areas! I found an entire continent on my travels.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

The other day I made the journey on the long Nether rail all the way out to Wozzek's Nether castle. TMC was working on stuff there at the time.

The journey was a lot of fun, and the massive castle complex is pretty amazing. It is also a bit terrifying. All the walkways are lit by lava-channels under glass beneath the floor. I was in continual terror that:

(A) a ghast would blast me from above, destroying the glass and sending me into the lava

or

(B) While dashing around trying to avoid (A) I would accidentally tumble into the lava in a place where (A) had already happened to somebody else.

Neither bad thing actually happened, and I enjoyed my visit.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

I just restarted the server with version 1.4 yay! Witches and Flower-Pots! :)

Oh, also, per TMC's request, here is a text-file listing all the markers on the map with their coordinates:

http://minecraft.hamsterrepublic.com/markers.txt
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.