Dunderstank: Chapter 3-"Ogres and Artifacts"

Play-by-forum D&D and such go here.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Dunderstank: Chapter 3-"Ogres and Artifacts"

Post by Spoonweaver »

You are all gang members. You live in the massive city of Dunderstank. The city is ruled by a tyrant named Lord Neil. His dark tower can be seen from any part of the city and is easily taller then any of the other buildings by more than 4 times their height. Times are tough in the city, and you have to be a criminal to survive. However, Lord Neil's Templars are ever ready to slay anyone committing even the smallest of crimes.

A few weeks ago, a small gang returned from a trip out of town. Once they returned they magically were granted a large keep, and were said to have many new magic items, even artifacts, in their possession. This wouldn't normally be a bad thing, but the gang has decided to use their new gained power to align themselves with Lord Neil. There are currently 4 noble houses in Dunderstank. This gang, lead by a large ogre named Yururk Skewerslinger, will become the fifth house and extend the reach of Lord Neil farther into the depths of the city.

Because of this, a raid was launched on the keep. However, the frontal assault was stopped by Lord Neil's Templars. Meaning any frontal attack would be impossible. A smaller and more skilled group is needed to attack this house.

A diverse gang of characters sits around a table plotting their next move. The group consists of Vire, the kobold mage, Ehaism, the lizardfolk barbarian, Zoogy, the pixie rogue, Kolobor, the werebear spellslinger, Czolgosziel, the tiefling assassin, Dhiraj, the hobgoblin urban ranger, and also Hevinage, the wererat rogue. Though faintly aware of the existence of one another, most of the members of this group have only just formally met for the purpose of taking down this new threat to the undercity of Dunderstank. Hevinage used to be the leader of a sizeable gang in Dunderstank but, after leading the attack on this soon to be fifth house, has only a handful of men he keeps busy maintaining what little hold he still has on his turf.

Hevinage wrote:You all know why we've gathered here today so let's just get down to business shall we? Since a frontal attack is out of the question, we'll have to find another way in. I've information that there is an underground entrance to the house, however there's said to be a small army of kobolds down there. There's also the possibility of trying to magically enter the building, but without any knowledge of the structure of this new keep we.. hrm.. you could be in for a rude surprise. You could also try sneaking in through one of the windows, but you'd have all be steathly or you risk alerting Lord Neil's men. Whatever you try, you've got to make it quick. Lord Neil himself is said to be announcing the creation of this new house in less than a weeks time.
Now, I'll be leaving. I've already sacrificed enough for this cause.
With that, the wererat leaves the rest of the company in the shack he had set up for the meeting, off to "recruit" more gang members no doubt.

This is all news to Ehaism, but Czolgosziel , Dhiraj, Zoogy, Vire and Kolobor were already aware of everything the wererat had to say.

Czolgosziel , Dhiraj, and Zoogy however also know:
That the kobolds under the soon to be fifth house were there before the thing magically appeared. The house is said to have a basement that connects to the lower chambers containing the kobolds. There have also been rumors about a vague control the house holds over the kobolds down there.
All three also know the location of the entrance to the underground kobold lair.

Zoogy alone knows:
Of a back window of the house in a shady alley that is almost completely unguarded. It is on the second story though, so she's not sure how useful it would be to those who can't fly. It would also be a pretty tight fit for anyone that much bigger than herself.

Dhiraj, though adept at the ways of city life, stumbled upon so much information that even he was surprised at what he found:
That the Outside of the house belays the structures true sturdiness. The doors IN the house are large stone doors that open and close with the use of levers. (a not unheard of thing but astonishingly rare) Most of the walls are stone also.
More importantly, all but members of the 4 houses and Lord Neil's men attempting to seek an audience with Yururk, the ogre, have been lead into the house calmly, but never came out.
But most of all, Yururk is said to possess a book of great strength. Though the Ogre may be large of stature, his true power in combat comes in the way of spells from said book.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Kolobor, currently in his human form, takes a look at the others around the table, pondering the course of action. He never thought that bringing down a nascent house would have been part of the deal, but he honors his debts and will do as needed.

This sneaking around business doesn't sit well with him, and had he a chance he would have gone along with the frontal assault, but that option is out. Still, there's an opportunity to learn something here, and that's always a welcome opportunity.

He decides to address the others and speaks in his deep and rumbling voice:
Kolobor Ulpoh wrote:Well, my fine friends and comrades, I think it would be a good idea to formally introduce ourselves and then state our thoughts on the matter.
Before continuing, Kolobor takes a long drink from his waterskin (which is full of mead, rather than water).
Kolobor Ulpoh wrote:I am Kolobor Ulpoh, conjurer in training from the frozen north. I'm sure you've seen me around doing guard and heavy-lifting work for this fine organization here and there, but I don't think I've actually every spoken to any of you before today.
Kolbor takes another long drink before continuing.
Kolobor Ulpoh wrote:We seem to be in a bit of a conundrum. I'd be fascinated to learn all about these new magic items and artifacts that they've brought in, but that's the heart of the problem I suppose. If they've got that sort of gear, I'm sure they would stop us quite easily if we tried to enter magically. The windows could work, but with my size I doubt I'd be able to squeeze in. The underground entrance could work, and I've never seen these "kobold" creatures yet, though I've read about them. It would be most interesting to see them first hand. On the other hand, it might be a bit suicidal if there's really a small army of them there.
Having spoken so much, Kolobor soothes his throat with yet another long drink.
Kolobor Ulpoh wrote:Hmm... Is there perhaps a way that we can get invited in? We might be able to say that we're mercenaries looking to sign up with this new lord, and once inside we can do our thing. Then again, I don't quite have a head for this subterfuge like many of you city-folk seem to have, so it might be a stupid idea.
Last edited by BMR on Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Vire snarls while Liev flaps her wings aggressively.
Vire wrote:I do not understand why we invited a human to this meeting.
Last edited by Mogri on Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Ehaism is deeply confused. He wasn't listening to anything Hevinage said, that rat just yammers on and on. He also wasn't listening to the new guy with the gruff voice.

Vire's outburst is in fact the first thing that has caught Ehaism since he started daydreaming, and so now he does take the time to look at the new guy, notes that he smells pleasantly of mead, and then nods sagely to indicate that he agrees strongly with vire that this guy does indeed look human, and what is up with that?
Ehaism wrote:You know who else is human?
Ehaism mumbles under his breath to Vire,
Ehaism wrote:Lord Neil!
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Kolobor lets out a loud, rumbling laugh and replies to Vire.
Kolobor Ulpoh wrote:Ho ho! A human am I? And I suppose we have trouble with that?
Kolobor takes a final drink of mead and then shifts into his hybrid form. Towering now over most of the others, and especially Vire. He then takes this opportunity to grab Vire, not necessarily to do any damage, but more to intimidate.

Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Zoogy is thrilled to be here and listens carefully to every word. And he wants to share stories too, how wonderful! That will save a lot of research later!

Not wanting to appear too eager, but realizing that the window is closing on show and tell, she chimes in
I'm Zoogy, Zoogy Fairfeather! I've seen most of you, I don't know if you've seen me, but it's exciting to be working with all of you!
Ecstatic that she managed to introduce herself without wandering off onto a tangent, she gets to business.
Kolobor (that's with a K and three o's, right?), you asked if we might get invited in, and I think that's a long shot. If we had time to get disguises, set up false identities, start some fun with another mercenary group or some guards or something, we might be able to make a name for ourselves and get invited.

We don't have that kind of time though, otherwise that would probably be the safest way.
She thinks a moment about the other options before continuing.
That underground entrance is interesting. Maybe we could sabotage it? If the kobolds had to come in and out the front door, we might be able to sneak in with a group of them. If only we knew more about what they're doing in there...
She looks up and realizes no one has been listening because Kolobor is a bear. How exciting!
Last edited by Gizmog on Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Ehaism is delighted. This fellow must be a shapeshifter! Ehaism is no expert on shapeshifters, but he is pretty sure they can turn into absolutely anything they want, any time they want. What a valuable ally!

Ehaism doesn't say anything, but a big smile creeps across his face as he watches his new shapeshifting friend gently tossing his small friend.
Hachi
Retired Smash Champion
Location: drifting down a hairpin turn HOLY SHI- HE OVERTOOK THE RX-7!!

Post by Hachi »

Dhiraj rubs his face as Kolobor reaches for Vire. The hawk on the back of his chair peers at the confrontation, while Dhiraj clears his throat:
Dhiraj wrote:Might as well expel the vitrol from your loins now, boys, 'cause I'd hate ta' have it happen when we a'int in this comfy room.
He turns to the energetic Zoogy, both arms on the table, and he smiles politely.
Dhiraj wrote:Nice ta' meet ya', Zoogy. I'm Dhiraj. If'n you don't mind me gettin' to business before the lads lose a head or two: the kobolds beneath the house... I'm thinkin' they might end up bein' one of our greatest assets. We know if they're in with Neil at all? Seems to me if they aren't, they'd be one of our better allies gettin' in there.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

That's a good point, Dhiraj (how do you spell that? Like Mirage? No? we'll talk about it later..) . We should also consider that the other gangs might have an interest in maintaining the status quo. They might also be able to provide assistance, though asking could prove distasteful.
Momoka
Metal Slime

Post by Momoka »

Czolgosziel looks upon the rest of the team with bemusement. Amateurs.

Czolgosziel says
Gentlemen, please. Any underground tunnel that already exists is likely to be guarded. No, with a week to spare, we can easily build our own tunnel, with style and detailing. I have the digging power of over one thousand men at my disposal, waiting only for me to pluck my fingers.

I will provide us a route into the building by the morrow. I might even simply dig out all the ground from under the house and let it collapse, but it might be difficult to add to enviable collection of magic items.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Zoogy is annoyed that this sinister looking fellow didn't share his name and hopes his sinister looking mother sews it into his laundry. One more thing to check when no one's looking...
How in the world would you do that? Are you secretly some kind of mole or burrowing owl? And even if you can do it (which given the current company, I don't doubt), wouldn't such a mining attempt be noisy, dangerous, and maybe even the kind of thing Lord Neil might try to stop?
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Too much thinking, not enough talking. Zoogy chimes in again.
The more I think about these kobolds, the better I feel about them. Those poor little fellows, trapped under a tyrant's lair. It's only natural that they would want to rise up against their oppressor and take what's rightfully theirs. It practically writes itself.
She twirls a pen thoughtfully and continues.
A timely visit from one of their own. An intercepted message of ominous portent! Sabotage, to drive the message home. No way out but up. An alliance forged in the deep, and with their army holding the line and running amok, we do our damage and get out.

She pauses a second more.
It could work. Worst case, we have to fight some kobolds. We should still have the element of surprise when we get to the keep. Best case, we do enough damage that they're able to take over, and at the end of the day there's a fifth house that owes us a favor.
Zoogy's head is in the clouds, imagining the whole plan going off without a hitch.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Looking up from tossing Vire around, Kolobor rumbles:
Kolobor Ulpoh wrote: Hmm, yes, I would have to agree with lady Zoogy here. If they are indeed how she describes them, then I believe they may indeed be allies.

Still oblivious to the fact that Vire is a kobold, he asks:
Kolobor Ulpoh wrote: Say, what do these "kobold" things look like anyway? To think I want to learn more about them but haven't even the slightest inkling what they are.

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Ehaism realizes that there is a lot of plan-talk going on. He hasn't absorbed a single word of it. He would normally stay out of the planning, and just agree to whichever plan Vire agreed to.

Vire however, is still being tossed in the air by Kolobor, and Ehaism wonders whether Vire is being is enjoying this quite as much as it semed at first. He is taking the abuse awfully silently.
Ehaism wrote:Okay, that is quite enough.
Ehaism gestures for Kolobor to put down the little Kobold.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Kolobor chuckles and sets Vire down as gently as he can.
Kolobor Ulpoh wrote: Just having a bit of fun there. Though I must admit, I've never seen a lizardfolk so small. Was it a birth defect on his part? Or perhaps he's still a juvenile? Your younger brother perhaps?

Kolobor shifts back into his human form and then starts on another waterskin filled with mead.