New Campaign: Athelos Darkening

Play-by-forum D&D and such go here.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Tim-Tim

Tim-Tim begins to move down the stairs as quietly as he can, trying not to attract any undue attention.

Move Silently (1d20 + Ranks + DEX)
Tim-Tim: 12 + 0 + 1 = 13

Hide (1d20 + Ranks + DEX)
Tim-Tim: 4 + 0 + 1 = 5

You make it safely to the bottom of the stairs without encountering anything. At the bottom, you send one of your lights out to the left and to the right while keeping an eye out for anything out of the ordinary.

Search (1d20 + Ranks + INT)
Tim-Tim: 14 + 0 + 1 + 1 = 16

Listen (1d20 + Ranks + WIS)
Tim-Tim: 19 + 0 + 3 + 1 = 23

Knowledge (Dungeoneering) (1d20 + Ranks + INT)
Tim-Tim: 3 + 0 + 1 = 4

Everything at the bottom of the staircase looks to be the way you left it. The bodies are still there, and you can't see anything following you. You're still slightly not at ease though, as you can just faintly hear the sound of something moving in the shadows, though you can't see it. It could simply be rats moving in the rafters, but you're not entirely convinced that it's something so innocuous. Still, the sound is so faint that you can't tell if its footsteps, breathing, dragging, or some combination of all the above. With nothing else seemingly in sight, you head on back up the stairs.
Last edited by BMR on Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Spittle makes sure someone's watching his back, then carefully goes to check the moans of pain Beardthar reported.
I don't like this. Don't like this at all.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Beardthar watches Spittle's back
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Spittle

Spittle moves over to the door where the moaning is coming from.

Upon closer inspection, you can see that the door is made of iron. There is a grate about eye-level allowing one to look into the room. Both the grate and the door are not very finely wrought, and seem to be purely utilitarian.

Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) (1d20 + Ranks + INT)
Spittle: 14 + 0 + 1 = 15

Judging from the frame (which is wooden) of the door, you can just about tell that this was a hasty installment. It's purely functional, without any time being wasted on having it look nice.

Upon closer inspection, you can't see that there's a locking mechanism anywhere in place. There doesn't even seem to be a door handle of any sort that would allow one to open the door.

Search (1d20 + Ranks + INT)
Spittle: 15 + 0 + 1 + 1 = 17

Spot (1d20 + Ranks + WIS)
Spittle: 8 + 0 + 0 + 1 = 9

Despite the dim light, you can see where the door hinges open. It looks to be simply opened by swinging the door open and shut rather than through some sort of mechanism elsewhere.

You peer through the grate and try to see who or what is making the moaning noise. Inside, you can see that the room is barely 10' × 10', and the smell wafting from the room is equal parts blood, sweat, and excrement. In the corner of the room, you can just make out the figure of a man, curled up on his side in a fetal position. You can't tell if he's breathing, or even if he's alive, but the moaning noise would indicate that he's at least capable of that much. It's possible that he's the paladin you were sent to find, but it's too dark to tell any further details.

Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Well.... there's someone in there alright. I think he's in bad shape. I'm gonna try calling to him...
Excuse me, you in the cell! Can you understand me? Moan twice if you'd like to be rescused. We can get you out of here, but with so many monsters around you can't be too careful.
SwampTroll
Slime Knight

Post by SwampTroll »

Agrendaf the Hungry barges past the one they call 'Spittle' to investigate what is in the room.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Agrendaf

Agrendaf, seemingly impatient, pushes Spittle aside and pushes at the door.

The very second his hand comes into contact with the iron though, there is a popping sound and there is a sudden explosion of fire that engulfs both Spittle and Agrendaf.

Reflex (1d20 + Bonus + Misc)
Agrendaf: 5 + 8 + 0 = 13 Fail
Spittle: 14 + 4 + 0 = 18 Success

Agrendaf: 1d4 (2) + 8 = 10 damage
Spittle: (1d4 (1) + 8) / 2 = 4 damage

Spittle, perhaps taken aback by the gnoll suddenly pushing his way through, is able to jump partially out of the way of the explosion. He's still scorched by the fire, but not quite as much as Agrendaf who took the brunt of the blow.

Spellcraft (1d20 + Ranks + INT)
  • Beardthar: 19 + 3 + 1 = 23 Fail
    Tim-Tim: 17 + 6 + 1 = 24 Success
It would seem that Agrendaf triggered a Fire Trap spell that had been placed on the door.

Everyone

Once the smoke clears, you see that the door is now slightly ajar. Not quite open all the way, but not as firmly shut as it had been previously. Now, it's open perhaps a foot or so, give or take a few inches. It doesn't seem to have been damaged by the explosion.

Momoka
Metal Slime

Post by Momoka »

Berry unhelpfully says
The door exploded.
Peppermint says
If anyone's expecting us, it's best to try and surprise him anyway, to the best of our ability. It seems we've been herded up here.
Berry says
So we should go back the way we came, he won't expect that
Peppermint says
Yes, because the ravenous undead hordes would tear us apart and eat it. He would be briefly surprised
Berry says
Well, trap or no trap, if someone is hurt, we have to help them
Berry, carefully, tries to open the door without exploding.
Last edited by Momoka on Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Berry

Berry moves to the door and pushes it open the rest of the way. There are no further explosions, so it's possible that it was only triggered to explode once. Carefully, Berry moves inside.

Once inside, the smell of blood, sweat, and excrement is even stronger. The man curled up in the corner looks up at Berry, absolutely terrified, and it's not hard to see why. He has been horribly tortured, strips of his flesh have been ripped off, and from the look gangrene has settled in. His lips have been slashed up badly, and from the looks of it many of his teeth have been removed. His fingers look to be broken, and they also seem to be missing their nails.

He looks in terror at Berry for a second longer, then he seems to recognize that Berry isn't about to attack. He speaks, just barely understandable, in a dry, raspy voice that seems hoarse and torn up with pain.

[quote="Strange Man"]
Strange Man says:
Who... Who are you? You have to leave now! *cough* That undead fiend and his master will *cough* back soon to torture me. Save *cough* save yourself and flee before they arrive... You must *cough* get word to my order, tell them--
[/quote]

He seems to try to say more, but is attacked by a sudden fit of coughing and then he falls unconscious.

Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Spittle does his best to glare at the gnoll, though with scorched eyebrows I'm sure it loses some of its effect.
Last edited by Gizmog on Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SwampTroll
Slime Knight

Post by SwampTroll »

Despite being a warrior, and used to varying degrees of injury, Agrendaf the Hungry attempts to reassemble himself and continue the journey. He clumsily advances into the room and closely examines the figure bundled in the corner. He does make an effort to use the one they call 'Berry' as a kind of human-shield.
Momoka
Metal Slime

Post by Momoka »

Berry pushes him away.

Berry says
Do not touch me, peasan-....please. This guy needs some help.
She goes back outside an addresses the party
Yo, any of you guys healers? There's a dude here and I think he might've just died
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Tim-Tim wrote:I'm pretty sure we're all healed out.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Beardthar wrote:Saint Akbar? Do you have any healing left? Peanut, try the healing staff on him. We already used it up, but maybe we can squeeze a little health out of it anyway.... and Oh!
Remembering something, Beardthar rummages around in his backpack
Beardthar wrote:I have some healing kits and potions
Beardthar displays the 4 healing kits, 4 potions of cure light wounds and 2 potions of cure moderate wounds.
Beardthar wrote:Would any of these help? Does moderate wounds even work on a mostly-dead man?
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

We've gotta try something, at least. If he's not-dead enough to moan, he might be not-dead enough for it to help.