The One-Dungeon Contest

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

What should we do with this contest?

Leave it as is
30%
Cancel it for now, do it in a few months so no conflict with HotOHR (i.e., December-Febuary)
20%
Make it a sub-entry in the HotOHR contest ("Best Dungeon"
50%

Total votes: 10

Momoka
Metal Slime

The One-Dungeon Contest

Post by Momoka »

I mentioned this in the HamsterSpeak thread, and it seemed like a popular idea, so let's do it!

The One-Dungeon Game

Concept: Make a game with one dungeon. Just the one, single dungeon, and make it as neat as polished as possible.

Deadline: November 30th, 2012. This allows you to enter the game in the Heart of the OHR contest as well.

Rules

1. The game must be primarily composed of one dungeon. You are allowed to have a little cutscene setting up the dungeon, and a town outside the dungeon for supplies and the like, but primarily it must be one dungeon.

2. [s]The game must be an RPG.[/s]. The game must use the default engine for movement handling.

3. This must be a new dungeon. Darkmoor Dungeon, while a classic OHR game, is ineligible. If Vikings of Midguard got re-released with a new dungeon, that one dungeon is eligible.

4. One-dungeon games and games as part of the HotOHR contest are in the same category.

5. You are allowed up to two entries. (So you can submit a HotOHR dungeon and a standalone)

6. One week after the deadline, a two-week period of voting begins. You are not allowed to vote for your own entry. People may vote on any criteria they choose.

Prizes

First place: $25
Second place: $10
Third place: 1000 slimebucks

Cash prizes will be paid over paypal.

These rules are subject to clarification. Please ask if you have any questions.
Last edited by Momoka on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

Would a roguelike be considered one dungeon?
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Aye, I was just about to ask that as well.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

Do we have to use the Vikings graphics as it was discussed in the thread?
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

If you're going to tie this in with HotOHR, then I'd suggest you give the dungeon makers a one-week grace period for bug-fixing since the Heart of the OHR contest will allow for that.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

Hmm, I dunno if I can make the game by then...
I'll try to, at least.
dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V
Momoka
Metal Slime

Post by Momoka »

Gizmog wrote:Would a roguelike be considered one dungeon?
I had to think about this a minute, but I'm going to go with yes, on the following logic: If you make a randomly generated dungeon that's more entertaining and better thought out than all the other games that had months to work on just the one dungeon, you deserve the win.

For myself I'm only going to play each dungeon once, so you'd better have a great algorithm or a great roll.
Last edited by Momoka on Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Right, so I decided against entering a dungeon from Legacy into this and instead went with making a completely separate rpg. I will, however, be using Legacy graphics and some of the scripts from Legacy. The title of this new rpg is, "17 Peach Street" and is about a boy trying to save his sister, with the entire thing contained within a single dungeon. Whee! /me is insane for starting another rpg...

TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I think by "HotOHR tie-in" I understood soemthing other than what you're thinking of. I meant take a dungeon out of your game and package it into a self contained game; not entering both into HotOHR, because that would assumably run you afoul of the 'original entry' rules. To be honest it didn't even occur to me that an entrant to this contest would also automatically be an entrant to HotOHR. Your view probably makes more sense than mine. (This is why design by committee works so badly.)

Either way, a deadline 5 months seems a bit crazy. Poor BMR is going to spend 5 months on his dungeon and forget about Legacy :(
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

It's taken about 1 and a half years for me trying to get my next version of AR-PUH-GUH! out, 5 months to slap together an entire (though somewhat small) game is a little insane, which is why I don't think I would maybe do it...maybe. Perhaps once I move out o' me parents (again >_>) I'll have the peace and quite to just chill and work mindlessly on the game if I'm not doing school work or work work (psh, yeah right, no one's hired me yet).

I seriously have almost that entire game planned out mentally and on paper, it's just....that's gonna take me a while. Eh, who knows. I'll at least attempt, and maybe will even turn in what I had done when the deadline comes. I hate submitting incomplete works (with the exception of AR-PUH-GUH!, which is an enormous project that I'm planning on spending many many years working on in my spare time just for the fun of it)...
Mogri
Super Slime

Re: The One-Dungeon Contest

Post by Mogri »

Momoka wrote:2. The game must be an RPG. It doesn't have to use the default battle engine, but it must clearly and unambiguously be an RPG.
I'm not in love with this rule, on the grounds that if I were to enter this contest, I'd probably want to make a dungeon without any battles.
Stewitus P.
Slime Knight

Post by Stewitus P. »

Mogri wrote:
Momoka wrote:2. The game must be an RPG. It doesn't have to use the default battle engine, but it must clearly and unambiguously be an RPG.
I'm not in love with this rule, on the grounds that if I were to enter this contest, I'd probably want to make a dungeon without any battles.
I'm sure one part of the default battle engine is "it exists." Just change that part and you're technically in the clear.
—- So anyway, how are you?
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Just to verify, does single dungeon mean single map?

Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

I'm not the authority on this, but I think multiple maps should be fine. You know, for floors.
Momoka
Metal Slime

Post by Momoka »

BMR wrote:Just to verify, does single dungeon mean single map?
No, a multi-map dungeon is fine. As long as it's an unbroken dungeon, it can even have disparate areas, like escaping a building into a mountain area. I'm inclined to be open-ended on this.
Mogri wrote:
Hm...I'm not sure if I want to change it. I was intending to mean that you can't submit a level in a platformer, but omitting battles and balancing is omitting a big part of what makes a dungeon a dungeon, as opposed to a puzzle game.