"The One Dungeon" Contest - A dicussion for a future contest

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

"The One Dungeon" Contest - A dicussion for a futu

Post by Meowskivich »

Momoka wrote: It might be kind of cool to have a dungeon contest. Just the one dungeon.
BMR wrote: Hmm, indeedy, that would be an interesting contest.
Meowskivich the Manly wrote: Meowskivich approves such a future contest.
Momoka wrote: A'ight. Let's do it then, and try to have it ready for Hamsterspeak's return from Hiatus?
As seen in HamsterSpeak 62 Online
-----------------------------------
So, I've decided to move this discussion here, as I'm sure we shouldn't spam the thread off-topic like.

Point of moving this here is obviously to discuss it.

What I say we discuss first are perhaps rules? And then when we should have said contest, and the prizes, etc.
---------
Are we going to have the games limited to ONE dungeon in the entire game? Or is it open to any game with a dungeon, but you can submit an individual dungeon from said game?

Discussion....BEGIN!
dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

I'm sort of thinking the one-dungeon games would probably be like Persona 3, where there's just one really big dungeon that takes the whole game to get through. Sure, it has many different looking sections and you can teleport across floors, but it's all basically one dungeon.
Last edited by Idontknow on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SwampTroll
Slime Knight

Post by SwampTroll »

I think it should explicitly be a one dungeon - one floor job. A very tight and focused aim would probably be better for a contest which focuses on something so specific.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

Hm...those opinions are practically on opposite sides of the spectrum there.
Which gives me idea, perhaps different categories for the games to be judged?

Like:

Swamptroll Cup - One dungeon, one floor

Meowskivich Cup - Any singled-out dungeon of any game

Idontknow Cup - One Massive Dungeon, minimum of two floors

Just something like that, multiple categories.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

That works. Though I was thinking that being a one dungeon contest, it would be relatively small and short. Something that could be done in a week or two I suppose. But that's just me.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

This is reminding me a whole lot of those single-level Super Mario World ROMhack contests they sometimes host on smwcentral. A contest is generated, usually involving a theme (such as "Make a 'ninth door' for Bowser's Castle", or "Work only with vanilla resources", or just "make a good level"), and people take that idea and create single level hacks to submit. They are then judged according to things like quality, fun level, originality, and adherence to the contest theme. Aside from the last one, I have no idea if those are the actual categories of judging.

You know, just from the romhack contests I mentioned up there, we could theoretically do the same thing with OHR dungeons. We'd have to stick to just one, especially since we're dealing with a very small number of game makers here, but I think they could be really fun. So here's my plagiaristastic list of OHR dungeon contest ideas:

1) Create a 6th Batman Villain Dungeon for RMZ's Batman & Robin
Designers would pick a Batman villain that wasn't already in the game and make a dungeon based on him or her. We could use a blend of resources already in the game while adding some new things where appropriate. For the best results, it would have to sync well with the rest of the game, using similar (yet new and refreshing) approaches to cutscenes, puzzles, and battle setups. And don't you dare think RMZ already used all the Batman villains because there's a TON of them, mostly obscure one-shot villains. Batman newbies would have to do a little research, which I would encourage regardless. I know if I were entering this kind of contest, I'd make a level centered around Simon the Pieman.
(P.S. - don't actually do this unless RMZ gives us permission to work with his game's resources)

2) Make a Dungeon Using Only Vikings of Midgard Resources
This is the simplest one, and it plays off of the very reason Vikings of Midgard was created - to give new OHR users some tools to experiment with. No one has been doing this, and it's frustrating to me, so let's break the ice by having new and experienced developers both making dungeons using only what they can find in vikings.rpg. The character classes were deliberately (at first, at least) made to be generic and applicable to just about anything, it should not be hard for a writer to come up with a simple story playing off of their personalities. And besides, it's not the story we'll be focusing on, but the design of the dungeon, and what better way to get started on it than with entirely pre-made resources? "Oh, but that won't let me be creative!" you say. That's idiotic. People can be breathtakingly creative when they have only a limited pool of resources available, and the SMWcentral Vanilla contests (or romhacks in general) are definitive proof of that.

3) Just Make a Good Dungeon
Similar to the Heart of the OHR contest (create a good RPG), opposite of the Terrible Games contest (make something laughably terrible), just do your best with what you can come up with to make the best dungeon you can. Make it fun, make it creative, make it a memorable experience, make it challenging. Give it all the attributes so that we can look forward to the dungeons you'll design in your other games!
Last edited by Baconlabs on Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

Baconator wrote: 2) Make a Dungeon Using Only Vikings of Midgard Resources
Sounds mildly interesting, though a little lame. How would Fenrir feel about such abuse of his works though?
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

They're public domain.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

Obviously, there's still the issue of how the original author feels...
especially since he's lurking......
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

took me 30 minutes to dig up this OHR History

Post by Baconlabs »

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:I've no problem with people using anything I put into the Welcome RPG in their own work. The way I figure it, it'll also help them see how to create graphics by studying how I put mine together. Also, it'll make a lot of the newbie games look better too
The Mad Cacti wrote:Vikings of Midgard is in the public domain; providing free graphics for people to use is one of its original purposes
You're new here, Meowskivich, so I wouldn't expect you to know the OHR's entire history, but something you should know is that Vikings of Midgard was once called WELCOME.RPG and was intended to "introduce new users to the capabilities of the engine" - that is, it was made for people like you to observe, learn from, and edit.
You're apparently not about to take my word for it, which is why I've gone out of my way to dig up some old forum posts where Fenrir and James discussed this at length back in 2006.
James's original WELCOME.RPG proposition thread
Fenrir's first development thread for WELCOME.RPG

Let's get this back on topic. Vikings of Midgard has a ridiculous number of resources available to pick from, giving all you hypothetical dungeon-makers a great selection of sprites and music to fit one of many different adventures and atmospheres. No two dungeons will be the same, and it directly challenges us as game designers to come up with new and exciting ways to set up fun, enjoyable map layouts for classic style RPGs, which have frequently touted boring dungeons with nothing but twists, turns, random encounters, and treasure chests.
The end results will be as boring or exciting as the entrants make them. One thing that sets this contest idea apart from the rest is the freedom to focus on nothing but the dungeon, without having to worry about drawing up a whole new set of graphics or composing a brand new score. It also neutralizes judging a bit, preventing entrants' dungeons from being scored higher or lower just because some people are better artists or composers than others. For a lot of you, this is a huge opportunity to get noticed for your abilities, which have been held back so far by the need to have absolutely everything in your games hand-made. Don't you all want a break from that tedium? Wouldn't you like to devote a week or two to making a brief but fun OHR dungeon with all the tools / resources you need readily available? I know I would.
Last edited by Baconlabs on Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

Huh, never knew that Vikings was once called WELCOME.rpg. And it is a good thing to work off of, I've picked out some plotscripting from it in my earlier days to help me with things (like force equipment and game over), though I have since then changed most of it to accommodate myself for probably obvious reasons.

Yarg, twas all a joke from me about the art anywho :gonk:

(bonus trivia about original names: AR-PUH-GUH! was originally just called "rpg". No, it's nothing special, but it technically is still named this. think about it for a bit)

edit: We're getting off topic, though I don't really know a good way of getting back on...

SO YEAH, WHO LIKES MEGA-DUNGEONS!?
And we should totally have the different tiers or categories or whatever for this contest, but they need fancy names.....
I'm sticking to the "cup" idea.

Basic Cup - Any singled-out dungeon of any game

One-way Cup - Only one dungeon and only the one floor is allowed

Mega Cup - Only one dungeon with a minimum of two floors

Cup of Midgard - One dungeon created from Fenrir-Lunaris's local classic Vikings of Midgard's resources

Sounding shiny thus-far? I really don't want to be the guy who lords over all this (unless appointed so, and even then). IDEARZ! GIVE 'EM!
Last edited by Meowskivich on Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwampTroll
Slime Knight

Post by SwampTroll »

I think Baconlabs' idea of using Fenrir's PD art is excellent.

It will put everyone on an even footing in regards to graphics, and will instead allow contestants to focus entirely on dungeon and game design.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Most indeedy, I second this!

Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

Swamp-dwelling Troll wrote:I think Baconlabs' idea of using Fenrir's PD art is excellent.
P...D???
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Public Domain