HamsterSpeak 62 Online

Announcements that go here will appear on the front page.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Baconlabs wrote:I like that idea, and hadn't considered it before. Thanks, Mogri!

Oh, but wait, you said random encounters. How much would be changed if encounters were mostly triggered by interaction with map NPCs, creating a number of situations where battles can be avoided entirely? I'm thinking of something like Earthbound and Mother 3 or, in a dumbed-down "enemies block your paths on the map" sense, Final Fantasy USA or Mystic Quest or whatever it's called.
It's the same principle for any repeated battle. The encounters don't have to be random. The basic structure of an RPG is a lot of regular battles and a few boss battles, and my feeling is that people generally have a handle on boss battles. It's easier to make boss battles interesting because you can change the rules in ways you can't usually get away with otherwise, but the regular battles are what set the pace of 90% of the game.

Speaking of pacing, giving your bosses more percentage-based damage can help standardize the difficulty level across players, independent of their level of grinding. Case in point. Not a silver bullet, but a good idea to consider.
Rue
Slime Knight

Post by Rue »

Hey, I know I'm not really a part of the community anymore -- but I thought I'd pop in and make a correction -- Nowadays was made when I was a Sophomore in Highschool (around late 1999).

Also, hi. Been a while. I graduated college and am wearing big-boy pants now, working in the gaming industry, writing short stories and poetry on the side.
Momoka
Metal Slime

Post by Momoka »

BMR wrote:This is rather interesting actually. How's about an article in pixel art? I believe I could write one.
I would appreciate this. There aren't nearly enough OHR-specific pixel tutorials
Baconlabs wrote:Start small. Start humble. Demos are a decent way to go about this, but they're so common and unsatisfying that you probably won't be noticed by the majority of the community.
It might be kind of cool to have a dungeon contest. Just the one dungeon.
Last edited by Momoka on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Momoka wrote:It might be kind of cool to have a dungeon contest. Just the one dungeon.
Hmm, indeedy, that would be an interesting contest.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

Momoka wrote: It might be kind of cool to have a dungeon contest. Just the one dungeon.
If such a contest gets started, I've got something I MAY be able to submit. I have a majority of the beginning of such a game done...on paper that is.
It's been a minimal side-project since last Thanksgiving.
Meowskivich the Awesome wrote: Meowskivich approves such a future contest.
dOn'T MiNd mE! i'M jUsT CoNtAgIoUs!!!
Play Orbs CCG: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x :V
Shadowiii
Slime Knight

Post by Shadowiii »

I received my prize for the "Put Salom in everything" contest today. Here's the quality unboxing video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUznMiYj ... e=youtu.be
Luigi is almost as sexy as me!
Momoka
Metal Slime

Post by Momoka »

BMR wrote:
Momoka wrote:It might be kind of cool to have a dungeon contest. Just the one dungeon.
Hmm, indeedy, that would be an interesting contest.
Meowskivich wrote:
Momoka wrote: It might be kind of cool to have a dungeon contest. Just the one dungeon.
If such a contest gets started, I've got something I MAY be able to submit. I have a majority of the beginning of such a game done...on paper that is.
It's been a minimal side-project since last Thanksgiving.
Meowskivich the Awesome wrote: Meowskivich approves such a future contest.
A'ight. Let's do it then, and try to have it ready for Hamsterspeak's return from Hiatus?
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Righto then, I'm game for it. Are you going to announce it in the Games forum? Or here? Also, what are the rules?

Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

Momoka wrote: A'ight. Let's do it then, and try to have it ready for Hamsterspeak's return from Hiatus?
Sure. When Hamsterspeak returns, it's the end of the Heart of the OHR contest, right?
Because obviously I don't recommend running multiple game making contests at once.

And indeed, rules could be discussed. Like would the game be limited to having only the one dungeon period? or would a regular RPG be allowed, but a specific dungeon within the game is the submission?
We should take this to game discussion...
NeoSpade
Slime Knight

Post by NeoSpade »

Meowskivich wrote: Because obviously I don't recommend running multiple game making contests at once.

And indeed, rules could be discussed. Like would the game be limited to having only the one dungeon period? or would a regular RPG be allowed, but a specific dungeon within the game is the submission?
We should take this to game discussion...
Well, the HotOHR contest is looooooooooong. If you host a 1 dungeon deadline, then you could tie it into the HotOHR now. It'd give people a goal and a landmark for their HotOHR entry (in the new games category anyway).
Meowskivich
Blubber Bloat

Post by Meowskivich »

It could only really work with the "individual dungeon from game" submission idea, being a game with a normal gameplay, and a certain dungeon being submitted from said game.

Otherwise, that's two games that's gotta be submitted unless you DO submit it to both or something.
But either way, I'm too busy with my main game to work on the magical side-project of mine that I would submit to said contest.
As stated, we really should take this to game discussion....
In fact, I think I'll do it now.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I'm delaying the last issue another week or two because I think it should have more content. Anyone who has anything should submit now.
BMR
Metal King Slime

Post by BMR »

Would you prefer email or is PM fine?

The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

E-mail's best.
Spazman
Slime Knight

Post by Spazman »

I sent you the interview. Can't do anything other than that, at my band's studio for a few.